Camaro pump change

Too late Chris lol. he has already brought himself next years Xmas pressie early sure he will post pic when it gets delivered. More of a shock is he is working on camaro BET swmnbo is shocked as well 😁😂🤣

New jack ordered. Lighter weight, not a bad price either. It will be arriving tomorrow.
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tja25-aluminium-trolley-jack

Screenshot_20221229_180318_com.android.chrome.jpg

New jack has arrived. Very impressed with the build quality, very smooth operation.
IMG_20221230_130318.jpg

Looking forward to using it. I'll give it a go in the morning.

Popped it next to the old one so the old one can feel sorry for failing.
IMG_20221230_131106.jpg

Got a little time on it this morning.
Got the Henry out and vacuumed up all the rust. Henry became very heavy after that and needed to change its stomach.

Got the car jacked up a little hight. As I recall the tank was very fiddly to got out rotating various angles to get the filler neck out.
IMG_20221231_122052.jpg

Fuel pipes disconnected, anti roll bar and shocks. Axle lowered.
Bolts to the tank straps loosened.
IMG_20221231_122651.jpg

Ready to get something to support the tank and start waggling it out next year.

Well done so far. Just don't make it new years next year b4 working on it again lol

Well thought I'd surprise you lot. Made more progress.
Around 7 litres if fuel in the tank, so wanted to syphon what I could to make the tank lighter. Couldn't get any out, seems to be baffles in the tank and I can't easily get the pipe to the lowest point. All I can suck is air. Had JD on standby to neutralise the taste of fuel
IMG_20221231_173728.jpg

Straps undone, lowering the tank.
IMG_20221231_174623.jpg

Getting the old pump assembly out.
IMG_20221231_175531.jpg

Remove the filter sock, some of the rubber on the pump has perished.
IMG_20221231_175924.jpg

Swapped out the pump
IMG_20221231_181125.jpg

Then make sure it located in the correct place, there is a gap in the baffles fir the pump to sit.
IMG_20221231_181450.jpg

Struggled to get the tank back up and held with the jack so I can test it on the wiring.

I hear the pump spin up. The old one didn't do this, so it's an improvement. But no fuel at the engine. Disconnected the furl pipe at the tank. Still no fuel, so although the pump is pumping no fuel.
Needs further diagnosis.

On the 4th gen there is a pressure releif valve near the axle, but on the 3rd gen the pressure regulator is at the front end. From the pump to the pipe I'm testing should be a hollow pipe. Gotta be something wrong like a blocked pipe it the pump not sucking up fuel, or its sucking fuel and dumping it back into the tank before going out the fuel pipe.

If you had a air compressor you could blow out all the lines. Did you bench test the pump? OK you gave it power what about fluid? Ie priming it? Have you put e10 in camaro and that coursed the pipe filter to perish? Just a thought as it's Been so long.

Ready to supply the tank from a PSU. Had an extinguidhercreadyvto put out the fire after the initial boom.
IMG_20230101_165500.jpg

Ready to catch the fuel.
IMG_20230101_171058.jpg

I hear the pump going, but no fuel coming out.
This is the same place I was yesterday, but from a bench PSU. So all good so far.

Removed the pump assembly. When I popped in the new pump a couple of days ago, I kept the same rubber hose as its only been in there for 11months above the fuel. Well as you can see the hose is perished, feels very soft.
IMG_20230101_172126.jpg

Effect of E10? The E10 is only double the ethonol of super unleaded. Can it really do damage this quick? The rubber hose was part of the replacement pump assembly.

So with new hose and with priming have you now got fuel coming out.

How are you priming??
I think the new e10 complyant hose is not normal rubber construction it's more of a synthetic meterial.

No need to prime stick it in the fuel and fluid comes out within seconds.

Video of the pump with the buggered rubber hose. Drawing little current.

Rubber hose fixed and fired up as a test. Draws a little more current. Catching the fuel into a fuel can. Pump working well, fuel can half full in about 10 seconds.

A job for tomorrow is totally do up the locking ring on top of the tank and get this back in place for a fire up test.

That's good getting there then 👍
Beats working on computers all the time lol

was that bad hose inside the tank ?
Yes, that bad hose has been on the tank about 11months, was new when it went in. This caused the new pump to not get fuel out the tank. The new pump came with a new hose, so that is in there now.

Tested the 11month old pump, it is seized solid.

For the amount of use its going to get, I would use E5 anyway.

i asked as when i did my efi conversion i read something about the hose used inside the tank is different to that used outside of the tank

Back