Camaro pump change

Fitted the tank in place today. Straps secured, locking nut on the top of the tank all done up.
So the time to try to start it. It's not firing up. Well yesterday I tested fuel comes out of the tank. So I test the schrader valve on the intake. Nothing. Next to disconnect the fuel pipes to the engine. See no fuel coming out there.
IMG_20230102_104703.jpg

Is it not coming out of the fuel filter, I disconnect that. No fuel there.
IMG_20230102_105748.jpg

Take off the filter, I can blow through it.
IMG_20230102_110202.jpg

Tested the pump with the tank in its correct position. Pump running. Did hear a gurgle before.
Perhaps not enough fuel to reach the pick up. The top of the tank is horizontal. We can see when it was above the pit it was more of an angle.
IMG_20230101_173157.jpg

So hopefully it's lack of fuel and not that little rubber pipe again in the tank.

Got anything from the tank pipe?
the filter could be so dry not allowing anything through

Must have been the tilt of the tank. Stuck 5 litres if E5 in there (now E7. 5 in the tank) I am getting fuel at the fuel rails.
Wont fire though. If spray carb cleaner in the intake it will fire.
Previous tests I found the earth wasn't great on the injectors. I'll redo that mod soon and give it another shot.

E7. 5???????? E7 is diesel.
That's good you now got fuel at injectors

E7. 5???????? E7 is diesel.
That's good you now got fuel at injectors
E7.5 as in 5 litres of E5 and 5 litres of E10.

Great to get fuel at the injectors, a few more steps closer than I was.

Chatting to Jason that I'm working with in the U.S. I mentioned about the Camaro.

He replied:-
We've been running E10 for several years now. Some places have as high at E85, but only for vehicles that were designed for it. Being a farming area, ethanol is really promoted here. I typically run E10 or E15, and haven't had any issues. Our oldest vehicle is a 2009 Silverado, and that is flex fuel, so designed for E85. I should probably run premium in my Camaro, and did at first, but I have been running E10 for years. I even ran E10 in my '86 IROC when I had it, but it didn't get driven much.
So E10 dosn't appear to be an issue over there. Is their E10 the same as our E10? Does seem odd that my fuel pipe in the tank has become all spoungy with leaks that has been in the tank under a year.

There fuel or should say octane rating is different to ares. Ie there 93 is are 95. But think they are more used to and using E10 and think be cause of this they having planned in advance with manufacturers about making things cope with the more ethonal in the fuel..
So you only talked about the camaro today done no extra work on the poor old thing then lol....

Yep only talked about it. Was working today, so can't really get much time on it until the weekend.

Had a little play with the camaro for an hour. Added some good temporary earths to ecu. Pressurised the fuel rail, verified on the schrader valve. Energised all 6 injectors. Removed a spark plug, it wasn't wet or smelt of fuel.
So I know the fuel rails have fuel pressure. Why dosn't it come out of the injectors? There is a pressure diaphragm but is that on the return or between the schrader valve and the injectors... More investigation another day.

Last edited:
If you take a injector of rail fuel there?? Mybe due to being so long the injectors have seized? Got a spare injector to try? Also can you check pressure? 40psi on pony about 6 on TA

I have 8 spare injectors, but wrong diameter and length. Rock auto do a set, 200-300 quid. Maybe if injectors are clogged they could be soaked in something like carb cleaner?

Fuel pressure should be around 40. I have a pressure gauge but none of the adapters fit, so can't measure the fuel pressure.

Have you checked the ohm resistance of the injectors? Plenty of videos on YouTube how to make your own injectors pressure tester. are the injectors getting a signal to fire (open) can you borrow a fuel pressure gauge with correct adapter or just adapter that you need??

Injectors are getting the signal.
Another fuel pressure tool is on its way with schrader adapters.
Last time I measured the ohms on all 6 injectors they were very close to each other, can't recall the value, I'm sure it's in a thread somewhere.

If they are gummed up by Evil10, I'd have thought 40PSI would be enough to shift it. However, soaking in a suitable substance sounds good to me.

Thanks for the offer. I brought a set just like that yesterday that should be arriving tomorrow.

That's 3 sets we have among us👍.

It's arrived. The connection on the gauge pipe is the correct one.
IMG_20230107_162707.jpg

Try it out fuel squirting out of the clear tube good and proper all over the exhaust. I thought it should only come out if you press the purge button.
IMG_20230107_164017.jpg

Tied the clear tube in a knot and let it dangle in a petrol can.
IMG_20230107_164541.jpg

Most I see is 5psi. I clamp the fuel return pipe and see no difference.

If this is correct, 5psi is way to low for fuel injection. Should be near on 40psi I believe on the 3rd gen. (58psi on the 4th gen)

I have no experience of FI, what generates the pressure? Is it just the pump or does the fuel get pressurised from something else? 5PSI is about right for carburreters, is it the right pump?

Last edited:
Back