Camaro pump change

Thought I'd suprise some of you. I have been under the Camaro, for only 30mins mind you, but its a start.

My aim was to get this bolt out holding in the conrol arm. The bolt sping, but its rusted to the metal sleeve inside, Tried heat and hitting it.
View attachment 165397

Brought myself a new toy, as I'm sure it will come in useful many times. Being mains powered it was a fraction of the cost of a battery one. I'll mainly be using it in the garage with many sockets around, so no issues with power.
View attachment 165398

There is a gap to get in with a cutting disc to cut the bolt.
View attachment 165399

Managed to get one side off, the other side is a bit difficult, the disc not having enough reach, perhaps I need to remove the guard from the tool. A bit reluctanct to do that, its a powerful tool and its the 2nd time I've used one.
View attachment 165400

I'll have another play some evening this week.
I was lucky with the Firebird, mine came out OK. But from what I recall, you can't get a decent swing at the end of the bolt with a hammer can you because the inner sill is in the way?

Another play time of 30 mins lol...

and what could possibly go wrong here ?
That why I am very reluctanct to do that especially as I'm new to the tool. I was wearing thick leather welding gloves, and googles. I will find another method.
I have squirted load of penatratrion oil in there, now the head if off, I may be able to pop a rod in the hole and tap it through.

I was lucky with the Firebird, mine came out OK. But from what I recall, you can't get a decent swing at the end of the bolt with a hammer can you because the inner sill is in the way?
One side came out nice. Yes you are right the inner sill in the way for a good wack. I have used a metal bar on the head and hit it with a hammer further down, you loose some force, but it still didn't budge.

Same on the 4th gen, only just enough room to get the bolt out as the sill is in the way. I have saved my 4th gen bolts and lower control arms, so it dosn't matter if i need to cut bolts or the control arms to get them off, as TransAm parts will be replacing it.

hope you spent more than 30mins this time lol,,,

any more pictues

That why I am very reluctanct to do that especially as I'm new to the tool. I was wearing thick leather welding gloves, and googles. I will find another method.
I have squirted load of penatratrion oil in there, now the head if off, I may be able to pop a rod in the hole and tap it through.

One side came out nice. Yes you are right the inner sill in the way for a good wack. I have used a metal bar on the head and hit it with a hammer further down, you loose some force, but it still didn't budge.

Same on the 4th gen, only just enough room to get the bolt out as the sill is in the way. I have saved my 4th gen bolts and lower control arms, so it dosn't matter if i need to cut bolts or the control arms to get them off, as TransAm parts will be replacing it.
I should say that I used Plus Gas when I stripped the Firebird. It works really well. Everything came undone apart from both anti roll bar drop links. They snapped but I was replacing them anyway.

I use plus gas as well 👍

hope you spent more than 30mins this time lol,,,

any more pictues
Nope, spent less than 30mins. No photos.

I did have some plug gas, I'll get some more. Proparts has moved, so this will give me an excuse to see their new place.

Proparts don't stock PlusGas but can order it in. They said around £5 ish for 400ml, I'm happy with that so ordered 2 cans. Saves trying to find it cheaper elsewhere and having to pay postage or wait longer.

Their new place looks good, they have far more stock storage now. Bit more hi-tech on the phones too.

I'll pop back tomorrow lunch time to collect the PlusGas

Proparts don't stock PlusGas but can order it in. They said around £5 ish for 400ml, I'm happy with that so ordered 2 cans. Saves trying to find it cheaper elsewhere and having to pay postage or wait longer.

Their new place looks good, they have far more stock storage now. Bit more hi-tech on the phones too.

I'll pop back tomorrow lunch time to collect the PlusGas
Yeah, I didn't realise Pro Parts had moved. I went to go there a couple of weeks ago and found their shop empty. I was worried they had closed down 😲
Their new place is a bit out in the sticks and a little less convenient for me, but as you say, they have lots more space now.

Yeah, I didn't realise Pro Parts had moved. I went to go there a couple of weeks ago and found their shop empty. I was worried they had closed down 😲
Their new place is a bit out in the sticks and a little less convenient for me, but as you say, they have lots more space now.
I'm sure they will loose people from not being near the center of Waterlooville. Its a simular distance for me to go to old or new, but that wont be the case for everyone. They deliver to a lot of garages, so I guess location dosn't matter too much for that.
Still the same guys there, saw Mark and Lee.

Set up a account??

Anymore work done????

Axle back in, try to start it. No start, tutns over, no fuel. Press schrader value on manifold, nothing, not even air under pressure.
Could be relay. By passed relay with a fused wire, can't hear the pump.
Checked Ecu output as it primes on turn of the key, no energising of the relay from there.
So tro issues, ECU idnt telling pump reksy to switch. Even if it did switch pump won't run anyway.
Took a battery to the rear of the car, can access that 3 pin plug to the pump. Grey wire is +12V, black is 0V, purple is sender. So measuring ohms urs 1ohm, so this is likely the coil of the pump. Gave this 12V, no pump noise.
Gave the tank a few thumps incase the pump was stuck. Its about a year old and hasn't pumped any fuel yet.

Axle back in, try to start it. No start, tutns over, no fuel. Press schrader value on manifold, nothing, not even air under pressure.
Could be relay. By passed relay with a fused wire, can't hear the pump.
Checked Ecu output as it primes on turn of the key, no energising of the relay from there.
So tro issues, ECU idnt telling pump reksy to switch. Even if it did switch pump won't run anyway.
Took a battery to the rear of the car, can access that 3 pin plug to the pump. Grey wire is +12V, black is 0V, purple is sender. So measuring ohms urs 1ohm, so this is likely the coil of the pump. Gave this 12V, no pump noise.
Gave the tank a few thumps incase the pump was stuck. Its about a year old and hasn't pumped any fuel yet.
If you've tried putting 12v straight across the pump and it doesn't run, it pretty much has to be the pump faulty I'd say Dan.
Was the pump running when you last worked on the car?

If you've tried putting 12v straight across the pump and it doesn't run, it pretty much has to be the pump faulty I'd say Dan.
Was the pump running when you last worked on the car?
It's a new AC Delco pump assembly with float etc, the tank came out to install it. Only check I done on the install was an ohms check.
I can't say it has ever pumped fuel.
Perhaps the pump is really quiet, would have though I would atleast hear a hum standing under the tank applying 12v to the pump power. It's drawing current, if it stays at 1ohm then I guess its 12Amp.
If the pump is extremely quiet then what stopping it getting to the scrader valve on the fuel rail. Next is to remove a fuel pipe near the pump, give it some quick power, if nothing comes out, then it's tank out again. Which will be heavier as an additional 5 litres in there now. Its taken me a year to get the axle back on lol.

I wish I had fired up the pump before installing it.

Its car club tonight so wont get time to play, my next free evening in Friday. So I'll take off the pipe before the filter, see if I can quirt fuel everywhere. If no fuel comes out I have the choice of removing the tank, or cutting the 4 fuel pipes so I can remove the pump from the top. The access hatch is already in the boot. The metal pipes are one peice to the driver side rear wheel arch. On the 4th gen there was joining sections which made the access hatch more use.
I have copper pipe cutters, probably the wrong diameter. I cant use anything sparky to cut, so it may be tank out is the only real option.

ah, just had a flash back.

I did have pressure with the new pump as I remember a joining peice was leaking, a tiny pin hole in a union. Moved the rubber hose and jubilee clip along to sort it. I dont think I heard the pump, but then I would have been sitting in the car. So pump has been working.

Back