Xmas Toy ( TA project) come early

Looks like there were in need of a change. You are certainly making great progress with it. With all this work, you will be grateful of the days of fun driving it, although its fun working on them too. :p

Thanks Dan yes enjoy working on car's as well just need nice weather nothing more done since wheelsday was hoping to do rear dampers but very windy yesterday and wasnt feeling to good and raining today and helping a mate out ,,
mate's done me a price to get wheels redone and magaged to get carpet for TA at wheelsday so progress again at some point depending on what's needed for MOT .

Well it's a good job you do like working on cars Darren :) lol.

The carpet fit okay? Or did you get the one that was slightly bigger to cut down for the perfect fit?

Yes boot carpet went in ok just needs to shape to body of car before i stick down as got thicker carpet for boot area better wear nd tear, Managed to get rear dampers fitted to car thursday night before all this bloody rain. Only took about an hour 3 bolts per side all from underneath take wheel off and nice and easy result . Dampers did move up/down but not the same but rubber bushes not very good, so hopefully the only thing it might fail on is emmissions peskie carburetor these thinks are a black art But have found via JEGS 4 barrel rochester rebuilt carburetor ?239 buy the time it gets over here it's not worth bothering playing/repairing mine,

wonder what's in this box??????

Climate change enhancement kit?

Years supply of Fox's Glacier Mints?

Like your thinking . But all wrong :heh:
I will let you into a secret

After my mot ( It passed :thumb:) we checked out the rear axle as when driving you could here a noise and this would increase/decrease with speed , We found alot of play in the rear wheel bearings so when i got home jacked the car up and removed the half shalfs to find this

So ordered the bearing kit couldn't beleave how much came in the kit result, Waiting on my local engineering shop can redress the half shalfs if not then will place order for 2 new ones but considering the car's done over 100k and proberly lots of burn outs in it's life and is 35 years old can't complain,

Last edited:
Not sure if you will be able to use the half shafts, although I have heard or a bearing relation kit so it runs on the half shaft about 10mm along, not sure how it all works.
I ordered a couple of replacement half shafts from Jaw's Gear and Axle, don't do that, its was a complete ball ache, they never made it. I made a blog, most of it was full of hope that the shafts would arrive any day, but didn't. http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/entries/12-rear-end-my-transam they also sent the wrong Ring and Pinion, that wouldn't fit my car but would fit an earlier model.
I think where it was a heavy parcel it worked its way of of the box and got lost. I brought the perfect Axles in the UK, Moser Axles, are strong, and there is a distributor int he us Hauser Racing, Axles Hauser Racing so if you get stuck, give them a call. They sorted me out, and the parts were cheaper than buying in the states.

Thanks for the photos Darren :) I've had Dan telling me what's what as I haven't got a clue when it comes to rear diff's lol :)

Thanks Dan yes agree new half shafts best way to go have e.mailed hauser but no reply yet so looks like it will be rockauto but it will be next month when i place the order, got other things i can be getting on with TA as it's off the road at the moment,

Last edited:
Changed the diff bearings today that was fun had to cut the inner shells off , So new bearings fitted both sides old ones had so much play in them coupled with other bearings as well no wonder there was so much movement, so diff can now go back in but want to check pinnon gear see if that has any play in it if so change that as well then get my mate round to help me set up the gear lash then i can order my half shalfs next month. so might have a look at the rattle on passenger door sounds like a bag of bolts has been left inside lol,:wave:

Managed to do a bit tonight removed wheel studs from half shalfts ready for new half shalfts next month and cleaned up drum caseings will upload pictures on next update.

That's good then. The new half shafts I got didn't have studs fitted either, but came with new studs in a bag.

How are the drum casings looking? Are you going to paint them or leave natural?

Bit of an update, painted the rear drums with HT paint ready to put back on when i do half shalfs (no not ordered them yet) got the wheel studs out ready , removed front seats and door cards and found this beauty the electric window switch exposed contacts and one cable loose so thats now sorted, and put diff back in,

Not much done today as on call out had only one so far today,

Looks like you done a lot. all looking great, really like reading the progress and seeing the photos.

Exposed wires.....oops! Lol.

Looking good Darren, it's great seeing your progress on her :)

Thanks sarah,Dan,
Just had quote for my two front seats and door cards to be redone ?750 that 2 quotes i have now :jaw::jaw::crazy:

Back