What have you done to your vehicle today?

Today was headliner fun C83989A1-941F-4B1D-A437-07E0E8C40383.jpg9CB4EEAE-E0AE-441C-8913-6C8B7FBC67FA.jpg9E4C390D-FF84-4426-8234-66841FD304B0.jpg52896C90-9AA5-4E7D-AAEA-8CFB3C5F4C35.jpgE29576B3-8CCF-44C7-9C15-277532AA025C.jpgEDB7B860-4504-4DF3-9EE9-06BAADE8BE95.jpg

Nice one ;). Looking good!

Nice, looking good.

Pumped up the tyre on the kia as noticed this nice bolt in it. IMG_20190624_080047.jpg
In the queue at the local tyre garage waiting for it to open.

tyre ok? repaired or replaced as looks close to edge,

pastd mot how old is p100 still need mot ??

tyre ok? repaired or replaced as looks close to edge,

New tyre unfortunately. The bolt was around 2 inches long and had rubbed on the inner wall. Its amazing how they get in there, its like it was purposely placed for me to drive over it. But I guess when the front wheel drives over it, it could flick up and enter a rear tyre. A few miracles must happen to get it in the tyre, its amazing really.

Was going to take the TA to work today, the last coupe of times the security light has come on the dash. This is the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) coming into play. There is a resistor in the key, and the contacts in my barrel have failed along time ago. So I put in a fixed resistor matching the resistor in the key in to the wiring loom. This has fooled the system for over 10 years. Now it seems my mod may have come undone. I cant recall if I soldered it, or put the legs into the 2 pin connector and secured it with insulation tape. So today I measured my key and its 1.870k ohms, so I have put 2 resistors together to make this value and will get it into the wiring loom tonight before going to car club.

Surely you can program it out?
I know my custom tune in my ‘97 had VATS programmed out.
You may have been able to on earlier ones. On the LS1 PCM the VATS(vehicle anti theft system) has moved to the BCM(body control module) , so it cannot be programmed out. It is a question that came up in many forums, it would be nice if you could tune it out, but its not possible.

Got the schematic of the VATS system, as I was seeing what other options there was around it.
IMG-20190702-WA0002.jpg
Settled on putting a fixed resistor value in the loom where it would usually measure the resistor in the key.
Measured my key and it was 1.870ohms. Used a 1K8 and 70ohms in series.

IMG_20190702_171340.jpg
The connector the pair of wires plug into from the barrel with the resistor key contact.

IMG_20190702_171519.jpg
The pair or resistors ready to add into the wires.

IMG_20190702_171757.jpg
Stipped off bits of insulation ready for the resistor.

IMG_20190702_171930.jpg
Wrapped the resistors around.

IMG_20190702_172348.jpg
Solder the buggers in there, added insulation tape. Tidies it away, and then tried to start the car. Started no troubles at all. A job done well that shouldn't need to be done again. It was club night tonight so was a good test.

ordered a new fuel tank for the Ranchero. used Rockauto for the first time, just under 1/2 the price of Dearborn Classics, should get it on friday they say

did you use the discount code ? as e.mailed rockauto no reply ref code

just checked. parcel from rock auto is in Fareham it was ordered on Saturday

its just been delevered

Last edited:
ordered a new fuel tank for the Ranchero. used Rockauto for the first time, just under 1/2 the price of Dearborn Classics, should get it on friday they say

I rarely use anyone other than RA these days, parts within a week at a low cost is always welcome

I used Rock Auto for many parts, apart from when I want something non standard. Mind you the disc brakes i got were from RA, didn't know they done drilled and slotted until I saw them.

the last couple of time I drove the car, I may get a pop coming from the rear end when pulling out of a junction going left. This is just pulling out at walking pace, and it dosn't do it all the time. Getting concerned the pinion/bearing may be going bad I jacked up the car tonight. not to self, when you jack up the car remember where you left the handle, done trip over it and land on the concrete on your elbow, it was mildly amusing, but could have been worse. Anyway, checked my new rear traling arms, and shocks, all tight, rotates the pinion by hand, it feels great.

Noticed the two long bolts that need a 21mm spanner on them was loose, this keeps the rear axle pinion facing the transmission by a long beam connecting the two.
IMG_20190711_183936.jpg
IMG_20190711_183925.jpg
Done up the two bolts as tight as I could with 1ft leverage. Once i get my pip I'll re-inspect.

While i was down there i spotted this.
IMG_20190711_184857.jpg

You need a new torque arm Dan. Your pinion angle is off due to Being lowered. A nice adjustable UMI Torque arm would soon sort that.
What did you spot? All I can see is a poor Camaro rusting away due to neglect.

Back