What have you done to your vehicle today?

Chap had to cancel visit.

Back in June the passenger door on the Vette stopped locking with the central locking but it was still unlocking ok. Then shortly after it stopped unlocking too.
I had been researching the best fix. It seemed as though the same black box that controls the door lock also did the heated door mirrors and electric window, but the relays (one each for unlock/lock) were the likely culprits.
So the options were:
1. Buy a 2nd hand unit off eBay.
2. Buy a reconditioned one off eBay.
3. Buy new
4. Take it apart and replace the relays.

Option 1 is 50/50. Apparently there are differences between years so an exact match to the drivers side is required or it still might not work or might cause other issues. And you don't know whether the relays are in failed state or not either.
Option 2 has the same issue with matching the drivers side and is more expensive.
Option 3 is recomended but buy both drivers and passenger together - 2nd mortgage anyone?
Option 4 was ?10 for four relays (2 spares) and take the box apart.

I went option 4. Took me a few hours to get the box out of the door, and take it to bits.
The relays are solid state and have many surface mount components very close on the board but after another couple of hours the relays are replaced.
And it all works perfectly!!! Yay.
My soldering skills are rusty, been many years since my electronics days.

Now just need to pull the car out the garage and get it back together but that's a job for tomorrow. Means we won't go to the Chichester show but as last week was full time study with the last ITIL exam at the end I'm knackered anyway!

Some pictures in various states:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Back in June the passenger door on the Vette stopped locking with the central locking but it was still unlocking ok. Then shortly after it stopped unlocking too.
I had been researching the best fix. It seemed as though the same black box that controls the door lock also did the heated door mirrors and electric window, but the relays (one each for unlock/lock) were the likely culprits.
So the options were:
1. Buy a 2nd hand unit off eBay.
2. Buy a reconditioned one off eBay.
3. Buy new
4. Take it apart and replace the relays.

Option 1 is 50/50. Apparently there are differences between years so an exact match to the drivers side is required or it still might not work or might cause other issues. And you don't know whether the relays are in failed state or not either.
Option 2 has the same issue with matching the drivers side and is more expensive.
Option 3 is recomended but buy both drivers and passenger together - 2nd mortgage anyone?

If you can get hold of the schematics for what you have, it could be repaired. Add a bit of fun measuring voltages and tracking things though. Saves a lot of money, but you could spend a long time doing it.

Took the diff cover off today, as it has been making some odd noises. There was some bits of metal in there. looks like it must have been the retaining clips to keep the cluck plates aligned. I may the choice to clean it out, pop in new oil and drive it very carefully until I get another diff, or the service kit for it. Everything else looks solid in there.

If you can get hold of the schematics for what you have, it could be repaired. Add a bit of fun measuring voltages and tracking things though. Saves a lot of money, but you could spend a long time doing it.
Sorry Dan, hit post reply before I finished typing. Post complete now!

Took the diff cover off today, as it has been making some odd noises. There was some bits of metal in there. looks like it must have been the retaining clips to keep the cluck plates aligned. I may the choice to clean it out, pop in new oil and drive it very carefully until I get another diff, or the service kit for it. Everything else looks solid in there.

I'd take it off road and get the service kit, but that's just me!

I'd take it off road and get the service kit, but that's just me!

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I almost did. Was going to take the diff out to take a look and put it back in after I get the kit. Wanted to go to the Chichester show tomorrow, and with Malcom on holiday, I will need to lead the Southsea cruise. I did take it for a short drive and the rear end noise was a lot better. I wont be using it for work, just this cruise, our show and the next cruise. Obviously if it gets worse then off the road it will come. Keeping my fingers crossed. Its a high performance diff, its odd why its gone, its made to take more power than i can give it. Odd why the little retaining clips fell out.

Washed and polished the Fiero - she looks gooood!

yesterday: Put the passenger door back together and then washed and polished the Vette.
Did you have any luck in diagnosing the fault, or it going to be a case of a new/recon module?

Did a bit more spraying in between going to get a spinal injection :/ will see what i am like tomorrow if its worked ?

Today I have given the Camaro her first proper wash since before going off the road.....she's all shiney now :)

a5a5df1c9f77649bf4cc9a38f5b4d2bf.jpg
[/IMG]

4db9644e4382ac4b57aad6d4a444c366.jpg
[/IMG]

:) so apart from the mot....which won't be until next week as waiting for parts and Simon to have time to weld/brake rebuild before he takes it away again....I will be tidying up the front bumper. Get rid of all the cracked filler and paint and get it repainted :)

It does shine up pretty well. While Sarah was doing that, i was trimming a butterfly bush/tree back, its been overgrown for a bit, I got carried away, wanted to stop it overhanging next door, its was about 20ft, now about 5ft. lol, plenty of twigs for a bonfire.

Back