What have you done to your vehicle today?

Wow that is chewed. Looks as though you were lucky!

It is pretty mashed up :(

I was quite shocked, never seen anything like it myself.

Given Hauser Racing a call, they have no power at the moment. The parts they would need to order in and could take 2-3weeks. I also asked if it is the sort of work they would do by me taking up my axel and they fit all the parts to it. That was the crush sleeve is all torqued correctly. They said yep.

So waiting on the call on the cost. :)

Got the call back.
Gears £185+vat (any ratio) gone for 3.73's.
Bearings and seals £90+vat
Eaton TruTrak £399.50+vat
Going to take my rear end up to them so they can set up shim's etc. 6 hour job estimated £240+vat (max)

Then i can be back on the road :) yay. Its been a while.

Give Alders Automatics a try for an alternate quote. They did my rear gears for me.
No idea if they will be higher/lower/simliar, but worth a try.

I know of Richard at Alders, given them a call before. Even though I knew they did rear ends my mind seemed to think of Hauser. I have popped in the order in to Hauser yesterday, I completely forgot about trying Alders. They are pretty local too, only like Littlehampton (under 1 hour drive i think) doh!

I looked at my pinion and ring gear this morning on the kitchen floor which is next to the diff with the bearings sheered off, not next to the other diff which is in the garage though.

winter-is-coming-jpeg-492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg

Thanks for the thought. I should have tried that before I took the axle off. It's off now, fairly simple to remove apart from stubbourn brake fittings. Just finished for the day, axle in the garage. :)

You're putting me to shame Dan. I ran a 10k this morning, came home, slept, watched TV and finally cooked a dinner!!
Got lots to do, but not working in that cold!

It wasn't too bad out there. sun was shining it was quite pleasant at times, although I was in the shade most of the time. Got all the bolts off for the axle with ease. The roll bar links just shattered when I tried undoing them with a socket and spanner, perhaps it was the cold. I have spares in the garage anyway, a poly kit I never got round to fitting.

I think i will give it a clean at some point before taking it up to Hausser, once they have done their stuff I may hammerite it. Do I need to undercoat it first? or Hammerite straight on?

Don't fit poly to the rear roll bar unless you do the front too. Poly stiffens the effect of the bar making it out of balance compared to a non-poly bushed bar. The effect will be snap oversteer.

For paint, try Por 15 with an acid etch. Much better than hammerite. I think Eastwood sells it.

Last edited:
The Por 15 you found is fine, BUT..... Only use this in a very well ventilated area. Its nasty stuff and will cause lung problems. I did mine outside with a fan blowing fresh air from behind me and wore a face mask. Kind of a poor mans respirator!
The acid etch I used was different but with proper prep any acid etch will do.
I will try and find you what I used though.

Thanks. I'll get some of that ordered. I will be doing it outside on the driveway, I'll try to look into a fan solution too. :p

por 15 great stuff used loads of it on the Ranchero recommend reading tin before buying the primer and were gloves, it will not wash off

Yes good point, it's very difficult to get off your hands. I wore gloves and still managed to get some on my hands. Much painful rubbing with a pumistone later.... Sore hands with a black stain!

All the stuff is ordered now, I'll get the anti roll bars treated too front and back. I have a box of disposable gloves somewhere.

Back