Vehicle security

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
I am considering having one of these installed.

Basically it ties into the vehicles systems (Canbus) and means you have to have either enter the code by use of steering wheel buttons or by having a paired app on your mobile phone.
It means the car isn’t vulnerable to key cloning (a common issue on cars with keyless entry although both sets of keys are kept in faraday bags which minimizes that risk).
The car has the standard alarm/immobiliser fitted.
Would I be better off with a tracker instead?
I wouldn’t normally consider such a thing but with a high value car (to me) it might be a good investment?

thoughts?

Wasn't it the C5 you had a tracker? That worked well.

The Ghost immobilliser or any imobiliser is good in the way that they are not driving it away. Where the trackier system you can find you car once they have driven it and may have damaged it or even crashed it.

I did have a tracker on the C5 but it wasn’t a ‘professional’ installed one.
I fitted it myself and it used a standard mobile phone SIM card for tracking.

you are right, they aren’t driving it away but nothing is going to stop someone putting it on a trailer, low loader or into a container truck. But if they do that’s it’s off to the continent and I won’t see it again (or want to).
The more I think about it, the more attractive it seems as much as any anti theft insurance device could be anyway.

Interesting read and to a point effective, the worry is today and i have done this is the fact you can get a complete lock set/ecu's from a salvage yard and get a car running again, ( plug n play ) with a few mods ,granted i don't expect to see too many challengers in a local yard but online is another situation

Interesting point but from what I understand the computer is also coded to lots of other electronic modules. For example replacing the antenna for the key less module or the module itself will need recoding to the rest of the system before they work.
That makes changing all the modules very labour intensive. I don’t know how many modules are coded as such but it should deter many.
But is Ghost worth it?
The car is in a locked garage with a garage door defender and monitored by motion sensing lights and cameras. There is usually another car in front of it and the keys are in faraday bags. So I’m really only vulnerable away from home.
Thinking.....

Seems like good system. I think anything that makes it more difficult for theives to actually drive the car away is a step in the right direction. A tracker may help the vehicle to be recovered, but as has been said, by then it may have been damaged or even written off.
I'm also in favour of deterrents which may cause thieves not to even bother such as a good quality steering wheel lock.

two side of thinking here so far both good and bad,

so the only real chance of theft is at a car show or if using for work is there a risk at a show? guy up the road into bikes has a cheap tracker system via his phone he can see where the bike is started or moved when he is at work, you mentioned about changing modulas if the theif has access to a laptop with the right software he should be able to reprogram and differant parts bit like programming injectors or a battery for the start stop tec that now out there,
so many choices a/t good luck

I’m not sure that theives could reprogram the modules themselves. For example, to use a Diablo tuner on my Challenger you also have to buy a new PCM because the standard one is locked. Is that Diablo money making and if they can provide unlocked PCM does that mean they are available elsewhere?

I’m not sure that theives could reprogram the modules themselves. For example, to use a Diablo tuner on my Challenger you also have to buy a new PCM because the standard one is locked. Is that Diablo money making and if they can provide unlocked PCM does that mean they are available elsewhere?
In the settings for programming my ECU I could change the VIN number. Which means if I did get another replacement ECU it theory it could be programmed to match the VIN for the car. All PCM's come unlocked, you can add a 'tuner lock' if you wanted to stop people stealing your tune.

All PCM's come unlocked, you can add a 'tuner lock' if you wanted to stop people stealing your tune.

All PCM’s? I know all Dodge PCM’s since 2015 are locked from the factory.
But I guess it’s Besides the point? Once a thief has the car I don’t want it back so I guess stopping them getting it is my priority. So I think a Ghost or similar over a tracker is my preference.

All PCM’s? I know all Dodge PCM’s since 2015 are locked from the factory.
But I guess it’s Besides the point? Once a thief has the car I don’t want it back so I guess stopping them getting it is my priority. So I think a Ghost or similar over a tracker is my preference.
I kinder worded that wrong, all PCM's for the 4th gen from 99 onwards are unlocked. lol. well that covers 3 years.

Do you feel the Chalenger will be stolen out of your garage or from a show or while shopping? Would cameras on the garage help deter the theif braking in?

I have cameras on the garage and when the vehicle is parked at a show or anywhere other than home I have forward and backwards facing cameras that not only record but notify me.
I don’t take it shopping, or if I do I wait with the car whilst the passenger goes shopping!!

whats suddenly brought this thinking about A/t ? Another thought you say you wouldnt want car back once stollen what about broken into? had works van done court on big yellow storage cameras got crime no. did nothing, company paid for new side door,

Once its gone its gone who wants a car back, the object here is prevention,I understand a 3rd gen kit was swiped from the speedfest a couple of years back, not sure if it was recovered,,On a side note regarding ECU's,,,I have just been involved in cloning a 2007 polo for running fault, sent it off, they took the info and sent back another unit so its more than possible

Your right Graeme, it’s about prevention.
And whilst I have certainly done more than most to protect my investment It can’t hurt to go further and it won’t hurt resale.

what about doing your own kill switch ie to fuel pump or to battery ? (with 5 amp inline fuse to keep ecu powered , key switch hidden some whare or a 2 pin plug that you prush in/on somewhere to make a circuit cheap easy to do just a thought,

Nah, I’ve done all sorts of things like that previously but at this ££ level I want something that insurance companies recognize and won’t detract from the value.
Talking of insurance companies/brokers, they sometimes stipulate or can recommend anti theft systems. Have you tried contacting yours to see if they do?

Back