Added a security camera

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Some time ago when the garage was built I ran in 5x ethernet cables along with power and water. Reason for 5 ethernet cables is one would be gigabit Internet supply to the garage. The other 4 would be for cameras on the house or 4 cameras on the garage, depending where I put the control system.
I had an indoor camera from Foscam which has been up in the garage for around 3 years.
They do try to push their cloud service for a monthly fee. However I have avoided that.
The camera can capture movement on an SD card, plus it's streaming to a computer somewhere in the house/garage. So this avoids the need of the cloud service.
The 4 ethernet cables have been laying dorment under the floor in my office. Last night I ran one under the floor to under the bath to add a camera over looking the garden. I also have a PoE (power over ethernet) network switch. This means I can run a PoE camera with just one cable, no faff with separate power. You can get WiFi camera, but I prefer ethernet for a good solid connection that can't be intercepted, and you still need to supply power to the WiFi ones.
Very easy to install. From a distance it kina blends in with the other black stuff on the walls.
IMG_20230810_201241.jpg

Great picture to.
Screenshot_20230810_202429_com.foscam.foscam.jpg

I will add more over time. Never had any trouble here, it's taken 3 years to add a 2nd camera, it may take another 3 to add more.

The interesting one will be one out the front, cars have started parking on a blind corner and cars still taking the bend at 30+mph, one day there will be a smash.

Have you got camera warning notices up?? Agree hard wired is better option

Have you got camera warning notices up?? Agree hard wired is better option
No, but good point though, do people with ring doorbells put up noticies?

An additional network switch arrived today. This is for regular network stuff in the garage. I currently have 3 network cables for stuff under the desk, 1 for the TV, 2 for backup drives, 1 going to the PoE network switch, 1 for Wifi, one for the non PoE camera. That 9 ports needed which is too many current 8 port switch.
So expanding to 16 port. Always nice to have a couple ports spare.
1691763468892.png

Thanks, some good info there.
Stuff on boundaries, public areas, storage etc..
Storage needs to be secure too.
The camera is covering mainly the garden, a little corner of the picture is a public road. So need to to with blur that out put up signs. Can't see neighbours property.
Next doors ring camera overlooks our drive way, so can see us entering and exiting the gate. No signs.

Thanks again for the link. I'll work through the compliance items.

Running those Ethernet cables during garage construction was a smart move. Foscam cameras are known for their reliability, and it's great that you've found a way to avoid the cloud service fees. The PoE setup is a neat addition, providing both power and data through a single cable – less clutter and more convenience!

I totally agree with you on Ethernet for a rock-solid connection, especially for security cameras. You can also check out a Chinese security camera. They offer a wide range of options, and it's always good to have alternatives. Your setup seems well-thought-out and practical – thanks for sharing your experience!

Last edited:
Back