Sarah's 1991 Camaro

Before you spend money.......
Do you have access to a fuel pump you could hot wire in to a container of fuel? Just a thought....

Before you spend money.......
Do you have access to a fuel pump you could hot wire in to a container of fuel? Just a thought....
What's your thinking?

What's your thinking?

Place an in-tank style electric fuel pump in a container of fuel and rig up wiring. Plumb to an existing fuel line and just see if it fires. You can’t leave it running long as return line isn’t connected.
Only works if you have the parts or can borrow them, but if you can.... just before you part with cash.

Had the day off yesterday. Didn't get much time on the Camaro as had other things to do, and other things to do today.
Will popped round(thanks Will) and we took many parts off,. Looked at the fuel rail.
IMG_20201023_175706.jpg
IMG_20201023_182513.jpg
IMG_20201023_182507.jpg
IMG_20201023_182509.jpg
IMG_20201023_182517.jpg
Cleaned things up.

Took out a couple of injectors. I blew threw them while Will attached the power. Stale fuel came out. Which means fresh fuel was never getting to them. Fresh fuel would come out the Schrader valve.

So what's in between? The fuel pressure regulator. A common fault is the diaphram going. The diaphram is good. Looking inside there is some rusty bits inside the regulator around the thin pin bit. Probably caused by the hole in the vacuum pipe. Due to the rust I'm treating the regulator as suspect. So disabled the regulator as gonna get a new one. Either something bad in the regulator or not enough pressure pushing on it.
Pop things back together and check for leaks before putting the intake on.

Good on will for popping round so an order to rockauto with mybe a magnet lol

Good on will for popping round so an order to rockauto with mybe a magnet lol
Oh yes. Would be nice to get a pressure reading, but I have nothing in that thread. Removed the schrader valve, so anyone know what that thread is so I can purchase an adapter. Thought it may be. AN- thread, my pressure guage I beleive is AN- thread which is finer than the thread on the Camaro.

I'll see what else I may need before ordering. Gotta get more magnets. :)

I can now confirm there is fuel in the fuel rails with the disabled regulator. Fuel was never making it to the injectors before as we know there was stale fuel in them.
I must have pinched an o-ring putting the injectors back in the fuel rail. No big problem, I have spares.
The good thing is that fuel is getting there. Just need to keep it in the injectors, lol.

shame you not nearer as i proberly have an adaptor to fit ,

Yep in lockdown

Can you buy the regulator or just the diaphram
Looks like the diaphram comes with the spring bit.
Didn't appear to come with the metal can with the vacuum bit, but that part looks fine.
I'm happy to spend that to get it fired up.
Screenshot_20201024_171934_com.android.chrome.jpg

Had the day off yesterday. Didn't get much time on the Camaro as had other things to do, and other things to do today.
Will popped round(thanks Will) and we took many parts off,. Looked at the fuel rail.
View attachment 161461
View attachment 161460
View attachment 161462
View attachment 161463
View attachment 161464
Cleaned things up.

Took out a couple of injectors. I blew threw them while Will attached the power. Stale fuel came out. Which means fresh fuel was never getting to them. Fresh fuel would come out the Schrader valve.

So what's in between? The fuel pressure regulator. A common fault is the diaphram going. The diaphram is good. Looking inside there is some rusty bits inside the regulator around the thin pin bit. Probably caused by the hole in the vacuum pipe. Due to the rust I'm treating the regulator as suspect. So disabled the regulator as gonna get a new one. Either something bad in the regulator or not enough pressure pushing on it.
Pop things back together and check for leaks before putting the intake on.
You're welcome Dan 👍. It was fun and I think we made good progress.

Dan i have a fuel system pressure test kit it has a selection of adaptors in it you are welcome to borrow it

The leak was caused by a split o-ring. The fuel rail is soo sharp. Luckily LS1 fuel injectors have the same o-ring, so I have 8 spare ones.
IMG_20201025_172319.jpg

Unlike the LS1 fuel rails the MPFI fuel rail have some flimsy locking rings. To try not to bend these and get all 6 located at the same time is a difficult task. A couple of the rings fell apart. Part of one in the photo. They turn 1/4 turn to keep the injector in the rail. As the fuel rail holds the injector into the heads I was hoping this locking ring may not be needed. Without the locking ring the injector shifts down about 3 - 4mm which is enough for the o-ring to be visible and not seal.
I can make something that fits. My plan is to remove the fuel rail, for the injectors in it, then fir it back on the car. They is just enough movement in the injectors for them to locate carefully.
Locking rings are not in rock auto which is why I'm going to have to make something that will work as well.

Dan i have a fuel system pressure test kit it has a selection of adaptors in it you are welcome to borrow it
That would be great thanks it would be good to confirm the fuel pump is doing what it should. If pressure is bad I will order a new pump too.

Back