K-Member swap

Make sure you got shovel incase from previous post lol.

IMG_20200420_175254.jpg

Got the gasket off the sump. Now onto the block, was hoping to get this done by dinner, not quite.

IMG_20200420_192835.jpg

As I couldn't be 100% sure that any gasket particles I cleaned off didn't fall in the sump, I'm giving that a clean out. Don't want to chance anything. Even got the vacuum in there after rags and degreeser.

Gasket on, ran a bead of black stuff ready to flip over and put the black stuff on the other side too.
IMG_20200420_195035.jpg

Popped in place and done the bolts up finger tight and waited an hour.

While waiting I got on with putting the shocks and springs and top bit together.
IMG_20200420_205932.jpg

Next to torque up the bolts. This went well and the sealent oozed out nicely.
IMG_20200420_210847.jpg

Just ordered some more bits from rock auto. The handbrake cable is original. Wanted to get another next time I put in an order to Rock auto. Also getting valve cover gaskets and the dran plug with a washer. Should be here the 1st of May. No rush, just something to look forward to. I seem to stock pile parts I may need in the future. Then when I'm hunting for something on a few months time, I go oooh, I forgot I brought that, lets put that on the car. lol.
1587458813274.png

You seem to have ordered 3 handbrake cables?
Its in 3 parts, the bit from the brake lever in the car pulls a cable under the car that runs along the tunnel. This is only about 20 inches long. This then has a termination where two individual cables go, one to each wheel. I dont know why they dont sell it as a complete kit. You have to buy the 3 bits seperate.

Stuck the bits together loosely to get a nice picture, tracking needs some work.
IMG_20200421_181948.jpg

Wow - looks awesome

Too late to make a change?
If it was mine I’d take the springs back off and have them media blasted and then powder coated red.
It was one of the reasons I went BMR. Same springs rates and height but came in red.

Last edited:
Yep too late. I had red ones before, nice to have something different.

Rock auto shipment coming. 2.4kg's?? Handbrake cable perhaps 500g, gaskets 100g. Ah it must be the sump bolt making up the weight. I know, it's all the fridge magnets that they havnt sent Darren.
Screenshot_20200421_223107_com.fedex.ida.android.jpg

Not done a rockauto in months not needed anything.

Started to offer up the kmember. Didn't get much time on it tonight. More time tomorrow.
IMG_20200422_205010.jpg

IMG_20200422_205025.jpg

Kmember bolted in with its 6 bolts. It's now supporting the engine, steering rack fitted.
Time for dinner, I will be back out there later to do a bit more.
IMG_20200423_182503.jpg

Done a few more bits after lunch. Nipped up some bolts, took off support straps. tightend engine mounts, places brake lines, cable tied some things together. Its all progress. Ready for shocks and bits to be fitted tomorrow, also new tie rod end to be, the ones on there are about 4 years on on one side and 2 years old the other, I will change them both so its all new.
Ah and I fitted the oil filter, dont want to forget that and oil leak out. The sump sealent was best to leave 24 hours before putting oil in it. I'll probably put oil in it saturday as have a fun evening ahead tomorrow.

I'll be back out there this evening. Got the MOT on monday morning. I think I can get all the bits on, alternator, upper and lower a-arms and wheel bearing and brakes. I should be able to get an okay camber on it with a spirit level. Also need to connect the track rod ends. All tonight.
Saturday turn the car aorund jack up the rear put in my new long bolts and put some grease in the grease nipples on the rear trailing arms, they may already be greased but it wont hurt making sure there is some in there.
Then I have the rest of the weekend to sort tracking, give it a good clean, check everything over, lights etc..

The FedEx parcel was schedule for delivery next Thursday. Its in Stanstead already, so probably with me on Monday. That's pretty fast considering I only paid for the cheapest FedEx option.

Back