K-Member swap

IMG_20200418_123007.jpg

Steering rack unbolted.

IMG_20200418_125346.jpg

Roll bar removed.

IMG_20200418_130037.jpg

One bolt I can't remove from the steering rack. The kmember needs to come down an inch or engine up an inch. disconnecting the power steering pipes, taking a photo to note where they go back.

IMG_20200418_132503.jpg

Getting ready to undo more bolts. May not do much more today as other things to do.

I have new standard stuff too. Was going to put them on until I later decided to do the whole lot.
This old stuff is rusty, it may clean up, probably more effort than it's worth.

Just sell as is. They will fit all 4th gens 93-02 and maybe interchange with 3rd gen too.
There is always someone in need of serviceable parts.

I damaged the ball joint rubber boot when removing them, I guess boots can be changed. Other than that all were working and only changing to make things look nice.

I damaged the ball joint rubber boot when removing them, I guess boots can be changed. Other than that all were working and only changing to make things look nice.

Yeah, rubber or entire ball joints. I changed mine on the TA at only 53k so if your have never been changed they were due.

Only track rod ends have been changed, upper and lower ball joints are original.

Loosened the kmember. Checking pipes that brake lines are clear and keeping an eye on the steering rack.
IMG_20200418_151558.jpg

Slowly lowering the jack and prying the rack away from its c slot in the kmember.

It comes out, looks in pretty good condition too.
IMG_20200418_154321.jpg

Have you weighed it vs the tubular k-member?
Same for the upper and lower control arms?
That would be interesting. I don't have anything that can weight that much. Sarah's kitchen scales for baking I think max out at 2kg. It may do the a-arms.

Don't have any bathroom scales then??

K member feels like double, I have no way of measuring. The umi info states its 33lbs weight saving with that kmember and upper/lower arms.

I wonder. There are 2 settings on the shocks for height around 8mm difference. Maybe I go for lowest. Old shocks didn't have this, was going to measure and aim for same setting to what I had.
Strano springs will sit higher than what I had. I may have to try one setting, and adjust if need be.

Here is the place I got the kit from:- http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/98-02-ls1-umi-performance-front-end-kit-stage-3/
Features:
•Heavy Duty k-member with dual tube construction.
•Tubular upper and lower a-arms with race quality rod ends.
•Wide flanged aluminum step bushings assembled in a-arms.
•Premium upper and lower ball joints installed.
•33lbs of front end weight savings.
•Chromoly a-arms save an additional 1-1/2lbs.
•Works with factory steering rack.
•Direct bolt in replacement, no welding.
Could have saved a little more with chromoly.

Last edited:
Nice easy access to that sump now. :) this is what I wanted.
IMG_20200418_190031.jpg

Not alot in the wheel well. Kept the rack in there, saved disturbing the steering column end.
IMG_20200418_191605.jpg

Going to treat these bits with a scrubbing brush and POR15 metal prep in the morning. Got a good place in the garden to do this if it's not raining.
IMG_20200418_191943.jpg

Treating my bits with metal prep.
IMG_20200419_113529.jpg

Won't be long before I put the black stuff on it.

Sump is off. I had to tilt it a bit to get it off, was hoping to keep it level. From the oil on the gasket it does appear to have exited via the back, or that could have been from when I removed it.
IMG_20200419_130333.jpg

Last edited:
Black stuff being applied.
IMG_20200419_142739.jpg

Done both sides between leaving a bit to dry. Not to leave it for a humber of hours in the sun before I put it back in the garage.
IMG_20200419_145201.jpg

I'll get the sump gasket removed and sump surfaces cleaned up. Check the new gasket and ready the gasket sealent instructions. I don't want to be visiting the sump again any time soon so want to make this a good job.

Invested in another breaker bar as I put my other one somewhere safe :rolleyes:. Also got spring compressors so I don't need to rely on the garage to do this job for me.
IMG_20200420_124611.jpg

IMG_20200420_132426.jpg

Interesting that you put it together finger tight. Wait an hour and then torque it up.

Nipped up into the loft to get the gasket and bold for the sump.

1587400058399.png

Looking at the Gasket label closer,
1587400085288.png

Dang is, did I get a gasket that dosn't fit a 2000 LS1 ? :(

Checking the interweb for this Felpro part number I end up on Jegs.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/OS30693R/10002/-1
This gasket fits 99 - 09 LS engines. So I am fine. Re reading the label on the gasket, it does say 2004-1997, which would cover it, was misleading the years being reverse order.

Anyway, looks like I'm all good to go, scrape off old gasket, clean up, de-grease before dinner. Then apply gasket, sealent, wait an hour, during that hour I will assemble the springs onto the shocks. All fun tonight.

Back