Camaro pump change

There is one there, although looks like its bolted to the chassis, so possible it could have been added. End links I changed about 8 years ago, these were from Rockauto and listed under the V6 model. So perhaps it is standard on all V6 models?
1609757109395.png
1609757130483.png

Perhaps just buy this for Sarah?

Or this?

Perhaps just buy this for Sarah?

Or this?

Those sort of thoughts have crossed my mind.

After some much needed swearing I made some progress.

Removing the shock and sway bar connection.
IMG_20210104_175946.jpg

Axle lowered as far as possible with undoing one shock and end link. Fill nossle is just soo long I need the axle lower.
IMG_20210104_180151.jpg

IMG_20210104_180156.jpg

So only option was to disconnect shock and end link on the other side, disconnect the brake t-peice and slowly lower it on the jack. Much wiggling and rotating it's out.
IMG_20210104_182659.jpg

IMG_20210104_183022.jpg

IMG_20210104_182810.jpg

Turning the tank I don't see any leaks, need to check around the neck as that is another place they tend to go. Maybe some rust treatment and paint and it will be good for some time yet.

Definately need new shocks, the rears are certainly rotton. The springs are not damaged but are rusty. I think if I am getting shocks i will pop in some springs.

Well atleast the tank is out, that is it for today.

Looks like the electric glue gun is needed on that lower inner arch
Just given that a but of a prod to remove loose stuff. Yeah I agree, electric glue gun needed there, the other side of the car is fine. Strange why the passenger side is this bad, would have expected the other side to be worse.
IMG_20210104_203206.jpg

There is one there, although looks like its bolted to the chassis, so possible it could have been added. End links I changed about 8 years ago, these were from Rockauto and listed under the V6 model. So perhaps it is standard on all V6 models?
View attachment 161857View attachment 161858
That looks identical to what's on my Firebird. So yeah, as AT says, they must have been stock on both.
Presumably, Sway Bar is an American term? Is that what we would call an anti-roll bar?
And what's a stabilizer bar?... same thing again?

Would the Eibachs from your 4th gen fit?
They went in the skip as we're just as rusty. They only think I kept from the 4th gen were the rear control arms. They may be the same length.

Presumably, Sway Bar is an American term? Is that what we would call an anti-roll bar?
And what's a stabilizer bar?... same thing again?
Yeah all the the same thing.

It sure is rusty. Fair play for wanting to carry on.
Not sure I would be at this stage.
That seems to be the worst of it, I've tapped along the chassis rails and floor and all appears to be solid.

I'l clean up the tank with a wire brush, and do another check for any leaks. What should I treat it with? Red oxide and then black spray on stone chip stuff? or should I use the POR-15? I have some of that left from treating the transam suspention parts.

The Red Oxide and spray treatment is quick and easy and can do that on a dry day in the garden. The POR-15, I would need to do outside too due to fumes but its with a paint brush so a little more time consuming. Overall there isn't much difference in time so I guess its down to what is best treatment for the tank?

I'l clean up the tank with a wire brush, and do another check for any leaks. What should I treat it with? Red oxide and then black spray on stone chip stuff? or should I use the POR-15? I have some of that left from treating the transam suspention parts.

The Red Oxide and spray treatment is quick and easy and can do that on a dry day in the garden. The POR-15, I would need to do outside too due to fumes but its with a paint brush so a little more time consuming. Overall there isn't much difference in time so I guess its down to what is best treatment for the tank?
I'd save the POR 15 for the suspension components. Do stone chip on the tank IMO

Okay, I will have the paint for the weekend for the tank and heat shields. I have a couple of wirebrushes I can pop in my drill. I also have some hand wire brushes too.

I have checked the springs over, they are pitted, original paint flaked off. There is no real damage to the springs. Looks like i can clean these up and paint. What should I paint springs with? I guess the paint with need to flex? will red ocide primer and black stone chip work? or should i use the POR-15 stuff? as the black stuff is like tar and have some flex. I need to buy some more POR-15 stuff anyway as wont have enough to do all the suspention beams with it, about 1 litre left.

Looks like someone has done the axle before but only underneath, the top half is quite rusty, but again it will clean up. The T/A has POR-15 treatment over the entire axle, as the axle is almost out of the camaro, I may just aswell do that too.

New rear shocks have been ordered, should arrive by Tuesday. I'm sure there will be more parts as I work towards the front of the car.

Back