Windows 11 hates me!

chris68coupe

Super Moderator
Am I missing something simple or is it hard to do stuff with win11?

All I want do is take a program off my old PC and put it on my new PC. With previous PC's I just copy them to a memory stick and load them to the new one. I can't seem to do this now. I'm trying to load some Canon software which has never been a problem before.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Good luck Chris i wanted to do the same with a program from laptop wont let me, sure the USA guru that's on holiday sorry working there will be along to help..
OR YOU NEVER KNOW SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT POST ON FORUM lol PMSL :eek:

Do you have the installation files?
Most whinks on Windows 11 should install as they did in Windows.

Copying programs from the program directory can be problematic as its installs other files on system32 and difficult to find exactalky what is required so best to install.

If install bring an issue, open your memory stick find the install file. Right click on it, then Run as Administrator. This gives it more permissions to install programs.

Good luck Chris i wanted to do the same with a program from laptop wont let me, sure the USA guru that's on holiday sorry working there will be along to help..
OR YOU NEVER KNOW SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT POST ON FORUM lol PMSL :eek:
Yep working, a 3 day conference, loads of info gained. Back sunday/Monday.
On a lunch break right now, 6 hours time difference.

Thanks Dan, I'll have a go tomorrow.

Still no joy, currently looking for the CD I originally used kept somewhere safe (Ha Ha)!

Canons website may have a download section. Hopefully they still have them on there, they usually give the option for Windows version. Dowlnoading can be quicker than finding the CD.
What model is the Canon? I'll see if i can get a download link for you.

Thanks Dan, I will look again at Canon but last time I looked I couldn't find the version I wanted. I'll get there eventually.....

Problem solved!

Found the original CD I used and all installed as it should.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Problem solved!

Found the original CD I used and all installed as it should.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Glad to hear you get it sorted.

I would have had an additional problem in my PC and laptop.... No CD drive.

You're not alone in feeling a bit lost with Windows 11. It's a new experience for many of us. To transfer your program from your old PC to the new one, you can still use a memory stick, but there's an extra step involved now. First, stick that memory stick into your old PC and copy the program files onto it. Then, plug that memory stick into your new PC and open up File Explorer. Look for those program files on the memory stick and copy 'em over to your new PC's hard drive. Once that's all done, you should be good to go and run that program on your new PC. If you're having a hard time finding File Explorer, just hit the Windows key on your keyboard and start typing "File Explorer" - it should show up

Last edited:
You're not alone in feeling a bit lost with Windows 11. It's a new experience for many of us. To transfer your program from your old PC to the new one, you can still use a memory stick, but there's an extra step involved now. First, stick that memory stick into your old PC and copy the program files onto it. Then, plug that memory stick into your new PC and open up File Explorer.
You could still have issues with software that requires registry entries which are populated during the install. These can appear in many locations in the registry which make it even more difficult to just copy. I guess it depends on the application. Like 'HyperTerminal' you can copy the directory and DLLs and your good, more complex programs like Corel Draw its not possible.
I'd imaging the Canon software also has many registry entries.

I'm still using my old PC for most stuff, nothing wrong with it except I can't use it for 'Interweb' things. Hence the new PC and win 11.

Back