What have you done to your vehicle today?

Looked at it in the garage while fetching wood for the kitchen cupboard.

Did some finishing and 800 wet & dry flatting off on the Firebird's front end today, hope to get some black on tomorrow.
IMG_20200404_185046_831.jpg

I believe you're right. Mine has the wrong nosecone to be KITT, but I'm sure Dan says he has one which fits in the front bonnet gap. That might look quite subtle actually. I think it's gotta be done :cool:

No, your ok. The extended nose cone wasn’t there in the early episodes.

Oh, and I repaired the carb. It starts now but still runs roughly. As we'd said, it needs a carb rebuild or a new carb. And it does smoke well. I'm sure the valve stem oil seals must be rock hard by now!

Nice to see progress.
Body work and painting is a skill I don’t have so I’m always happy to see progress on something I would have to farm out. It’s also the area where that lack of skill has cost money and unsatisfying results throughout my years in the hobby.
Well done.

Nice to see progress.
Body work and painting is a skill I don’t have so I’m always happy to see progress on something I would have to farm out. It’s also the area where that lack of skill has cost money and unsatisfying results throughout my years in the hobby.
Well done.
Thanks AT. I am no bodywork expert either and I can see a few minor issues with the finish I will need to correct. But there are ways.

Finishing off fitting MGB rear axle,springs and shock absorbers to my Austin Somerset.
Awesome, that looks great. Nice colour. Great to see some Classics on here. At one time we had more Classics in the club than American.

With less time at work or travelling to work, we have more time to spend on our cars now. I expect this thread to get quite busy.

The first one is like mine. Looks like they have chopped part of the nose cone to fit the red scanner light in. That one appears to have no indicators fitted either.

Was just thinking about this and I recall that the light was so inefficiently made and consumed so much power that the car was often plugged into the mains when they were showing the light!

Was just thinking about this and I recall that the light was so inefficiently made and consumed so much power that the car was often plugged into the mains when they were showing the light!
They used light bulbs and you could hear relays clicking as the bulbs were switching on and off. The bulbs were like brake light bulbs, its certainly drawed some current.

Brought some ratchet straps. This is for a plan to help secure the engine while removing the sump.
1586439272058.png

Need to do the rear end first, so I'm looking forward to getting out there directly after finishing work. Remove a trailing arm and fit the relocation bracket. Measure the new arm to the old and adjust the length, and make sure both the new ones are the same length. I'll be posting photos later.

more on the austen welcome

Back