What have you done to your vehicle today?

Threw a bucket of water over her :).
F5D97AD3-E595-42C0-B558-BCDB1BB558FA.jpeg
F26E4BF8-F2DD-4844-8C57-195437AFFED6.jpeg
5365DB47-036D-4C93-9FD1-1E5FC91F2BEB.jpeg
41A01895-2D08-449A-BDA7-06080FEBE7DF.jpeg
0F9541AC-CAE5-4346-B633-CF3625F79AD7.jpeg

You threw that bucket well. It's come out really nice.

Had my stripes redone today - looks much better I think!!

D9FA3365-9004-415E-9588-5B3831EC5CEF.JPG
E6BD3F7D-3AE2-4051-8898-33A06067CA9A.JPG

Hopefully you can this - this is how bad they were:

5BC639A1-CBFB-40AE-AA86-17DA595D7879.jpeg
331DD6F6-7AB6-44A3-A3BA-7CB028AE4A0B.jpeg

The TA ones went the same. It was like Watermarks that just woundnt clean off. Looks much better now.

Looking good better not rain tomorrow now lol

Finished work at 1 today and after a cycle ride was stuck at home with little else to do. So seemed a good time to take all of the crap off the Firebird and uncover it. I ended up connecting up the battery to give it a run, but for the first time ever it wouldn't start! It would run for a second after an external shot of fuel down the carb but that's all. There is fresh fuel in the tank and the pump is healthy.
Looks like only one pair of the Holley's butterflies are opening. I also found fuel pi55ing out whenever I pumped the throttle. So have taken the carb off for investigation.
IMG_20200327_171947_754.jpg

It’s about you posted an update on that project.
Too right! I really need to get it back on the road too.
Any pointers on the carb? I've not played with many Holley's. I think the 2nd barrels are opened by a vacuum diaphragm?
The leaking fuel is probably a split accelerator pump diaphragm?

Could be either mechanical or vacuum secondaries.
I had mechanical secondary’s on my 78 Firebird, was great fun. You could feel the additional pressure needed to open them and then you could hear and feel the difference, but I digress.
Not a fan of Holleys and it’s not what the car would have had. An Edelbrock 600cfm spreadbore would likely be closest available today.
That side if it’s leaking fuel when you pump the throttle then I’d start with the accelerator pumps diaphragms.

Could be either mechanical or vacuum secondaries.
I had mechanical secondary’s on my 78 Firebird, was great fun. You could feel the additional pressure needed to open them and then you could hear and feel the difference, but I digress.
Not a fan of Holleys and it’s not what the car would have had. An Edelbrock 600cfm spreadbore would likely be closest available today.
That side if it’s leaking fuel when you pump the throttle then I’d start with the accelerator pumps diaphragms.
Thanks for that, appreciate your input as you have played with far more Yanks than me. It looks like there is some sort of diaphragm below the linkage for secondaries, so I am guessing they are vacuum operated.
So you reckon a Holley wouldn't have been standard fitment? I couldn't say to be honest.
And yeah, I will pull the accelerator pump apart first. They are usually easy to spot if failed. I'll try to post some pictures of it.

I agree with AT on Edelbrocks, take it out the box, bolt it on and vrooooom! I guess you can get repair kits for the Holley which should have new diaphrams and seals etc.

Last edited:
I agree with TA on Edelbrocks, take it out the box, bolt it on and vrooooom! I guess you can get repair kits for the Holley which should have new diaphrams and seals etc.
http://www.realsteel.co.uk/ do the kits. Their website is old, like it's scanned in from a book. They are very helpful on the phone and only just inside the M25.

What engine is in it? 305? 350?
Holley’s weren’t standard fit on any Pontiac to my knowledge but then I know far more about 2nd gen than I do 3rd gens.
I suggested spreadbore which would have been standard on a Pontiac block, but then by the end of the 2nd gen there were plenty of corporate blocks (ie Chevy and Olds) being used and many smaller engines were 60deg V’s not 90dev V’s.

I agree with AT on Edelbrocks, take it out the box, bolt it on and vrooooom! I guess you can get repair kits for the Holley which should have new diaphrams and seals etc.

My 78 Firebird had a Holley on it when I bought it. I would tune it up using a CO2 analyser and vacuum gauge and get it spot on. Take it for a spirited drive and it was great.... for a while. Put it back on the analyser and it was always off again.
I got tired of messing with it and changed it for the Edelbrock when I changed the cam. Although it wasn’t right out the box, I had to upjet and fit different metering rods to correct a cruise speed surging (lean), once done it stayed in tune.
And no power valve diaphragms to blow with an intake backfire.

IMG_20200326_190105.jpg
gave the T. A. Some company as all alone in the garage lol build a work bench to go in log store and even open the doors so the mustang could see daylight.this being the log store we build 2 years ago.

Last edited:
What engine is in it? 305? 350?
Holley’s weren’t standard fit on any Pontiac to my knowledge but then I know far more about 2nd gen than I do 3rd gens.
I suggested spreadbore which would have been standard on a Pontiac block, but then by the end of the 2nd gen there were plenty of corporate blocks (ie Chevy and Olds) being used and many smaller engines were 60deg V’s not 90dev V’s.
It's a 305 and is an 82, so the first year of the 3rd Gens. Could there have been some overlap of carbs used during production? I've got a Haynes manual somewhere, I will try to dig that out. Maybe it will say what the original carb was. A Rochester possibly?

Back