Tyre Recommendations.

sarah

Club Photographer
Looking at new tyres for the Camaro, I currently have Cooper Cobras and have lost faith in them. I still want tyres with the white writing on them.

I know of Goodyear Eagles but not sure what else is out there??

Any recommendations would be brilliant.

Cheap ones so they don't cost so much to replace when you :burnout: :D

BF Goodrich can come with the white writing on the side. Never used them myself, but they seem pretty popular.

I found them to be complete garbage in the wet....found out the hard way....up on a grass bank damaging the Camaro's front end. So I'd rather not go with them again :(

Cooper is the only American manufactured tyre you can still buy.
Lost faith? - Can you explain?
Sarah faced the wrong way after coming off a round about in the wet. They just didn't seem to have grip. Later that day still wet, I done over double her speed and my tyres stuck even though I had cheap Falken's on mine.

Whats the age of the tyres? Maybe they are older than recomended?
I know you are supposed to replace the tyres at 4 years old regardless of tread left, although many of us don't.
Perhaps they have gone hard which would definately reduce grip.

If coopers are out then my choice would be BF Goodrich - they have right 'look' for a 3rd or 2nd gen.

I had BF's on my 3rd gen, they looked the part, and i was happy with grip, although it was the only manufacturer of tyre I ever fitted to the rear. So I don't know if any others were better. I always got them from North Hants Tyres.

You could be correct about the tyre age. They may have also gone hard from burnouts, well only one.

Whats the age of the tyres? Maybe they are older than recomended?
I know you are supposed to replace the tyres at 4 years old regardless of tread left, although many of us don't.
Perhaps they have gone hard which would definately reduce grip.

If coopers are out then my choice would be BF Goodrich - they have right 'look' for a 3rd or 2nd gen.

That's food for thought, I'll drag out the Camaro's paperwork and see if I can find out how old they are. I've owned her for nearly three years so chances are the tyres are over three years old.

The other thing with tyres wide enough for an American car but in 15" size, is that they are likely to be Mud + Snow tyres (M+S). Designed to grip where the tread blocks sink into a soft surface, but not so great anywhere else.
Tyre choice in the right size is really limited and is a reason why many opt to upgrade their wheels to 17" so you can get a performance tyre.

I like the Kumho's personally. They have a nice look with a nice pattern and I have never had problems in the wet or snow ;)

I need new tires for mine - the fronts lose air over a week :(

I think you will find that Cooper Cobras are no longer made (according to H) as I have them on Bazza and tried getting them as needed to only replace 2 front ones and didn't want mismatched but as it i do anyways as had to go with Hercules. Will be replacing wheels at some point so will fork out then for new tyres too. Who knows when that will be.

Back