New alloys for the T/A

see sponge bob likes them as well lol,,

full

Yep sure does. Giving the double thumbs up there.

When I was coming back from the tyre place with the 4 wheels and tyres and workshop trolly jack in the car, I had about half inch clearence in the wheel arch. Going over some bumps on the A3, or roundabouts the body would rub on the wheel, Not a huge amount, but a little squeak.
Not wanting it to cut into the tyre or wear the wheel arch away I guess there are a few options.
  • Put some form of spacer above the suspention spring to raise the car a little.
  • Stiffen the shocks (they are ajustable) this would reduce touching on bumps, but not on roundabouts.
  • Tell the wheel/tyre place that I can't get on with them.
  • Dont have passengers or wheels in the rear.
  • Roll the wheel arch to give that tiny bit more clearance.
  • Bump stops are worn, perhaps new ones and possible a spacer would stop it. I have over 1.5 inch of travel before touching.
I did nip to Asda yesterday and they didn't rub at all.

Bump stops
Changing the bump stops is easy enough. Just 2 bolts holding each one in. Checking on line, it seems to be a common thing when changing the wheels. There are actually diffent sized spacer depending on the wheel size. Kits in the USA are around $109 + shipping + tax. So I was wondering if I could freshen up the bump stop and make my own spacer is required.
Found a video on Youtube of dude changing the bump stops, what I found very useful is a generic part numbers near the beginning of the video. the spacing is perfect and identical sized for the 4th Gen Firebird.
From the video it shows a spacer.
1677922133335.png

Having a generic part number 9.9137R, done a search and found a place in the UK https://www.autoperformancepartsdir...sal-bump-stop?search=9.9137R&description=true, £32 whichis't bad, I have contacted them to check it was a pair. So order placed.

Mine have never been changed. They have a curve in them and should be flat, so definately signs of wear. Mine are surprisingly good for 23 years old, alots of peoples have totally dissapeared all together where the rubber has rotted away.
1677922462689.png

So I try the bump stop method before any others, may even tweak the shock as that is free.

Yep agree surprising how engine mount rubber suspension bump stop wear out.

Rubber mounts have arrived
IMG_20230309_121451.jpg

Old rubber.
IMG_20230309_121726.jpg

The new held in place. Mainly to see the gap.
IMG_20230309_121947.jpg

Old was showing around 40mm gap, it was curved from age and very squidgy.
New is around 30mm gap. It may squish a couple of mm. I have around 35mm wheel arch gap.
So it seems this mount will be perfect with no additional spacers. My aim is to fit it tonight.

IMG_20230309_173128.jpg

IMG_20230309_174009.jpg

IMG_20230309_174244.jpg

Have 50mm clearance on both wheels to the wheel arch. So ideally I want 40mm ish travel to the bump stops.
Using factory spacers I get 20mm on the passenger side and 5mm on the drivers side travel. Thats measuring from the end of the bump stop to the axle, obviously that is no good, but I knew I would be checking things thoroughly
Odd that the factory spacer is 5mm thicker on the drivers since.
Even swapping them would give me 15mm and 10mm.
So where is the difference from one side to the other... Axle is level. Car is level, both wheel arches are the same distance from the ground. Measuring to the bump stops mounts, passenger side is 90mm from the axle, drivers is less, weird.
I can modify the bump stops to get my 40mm travel to the axle, also have a thin spacer I can remove.
All we be good. Will carry on in the morning. Dinner is smelling good.

Drivers side needed non of the factory spacers. Got my 40mm gap although was hard to capture that in a photo.
IMG_20230311_120726.jpg

Then the passenger side, using the factory spacer was needed, but that made 37mm. So trimmed 3mm off the bump stop.
IMG_20230311_125910.jpg

Happy with that. Again the camera angle not right. It is really spot on 40mm.
IMG_20230311_130400.jpg

IMG_20230311_130548.jpg

Needs a bit more color white springs yellow strut red bump stop so far

Yellow brake calipers too.
Simular stuff going on at the front.
IMG_20200421_181948.jpg

Harlequin wasn't it the vw polo that had every panel a different color lol.🤣 Yours will be every part not body panel

Last edited:
Yes. I think it was a WV Polo. Didn't see many about, there were 4 variations. Wonder what colour the log book showed.
I've gone for the look of a Ronald Mcdonald play area. Lol.

Lol.🤣

Wanging it aound corners with bumps, I can just get the tyres to rub. So I have ordered some aluminum flat bar, 45mm x 1000mm x 5mm. I can create some addition spacers for the bump stops.
Nothing major, driving normally it dosn't happen, mind you my normal does have some wanging involved.
Gives me something to do, have a saw to cut the aluminum, and a pilar drill for the holes and files to make the edges nice. So I'm all set up.

"Gives me something to do" YOU BLOODY KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING :):):) don't let swmnbo see that statement :p

A drive down to club night the tyres could rub on the arch when accelerating, most if the time there was enough clearence to not rub.
Increased the bump stops by 5mm. Not test driven. I do have more material to extend further, but I don't expect that will be required.

IMG_20230330_160739.jpg

IMG_20230330_164853.jpg

IMG_20230330_165259.jpg

put the angle grinder to the edges take the sharp edge of, also would tie into the edges of bracket and bump stop,,

New spacers worked well on the bump stops. This has stopped the tyres touching the arches.

Someone got a photo of me and the car arriving at wheels day. I did have weight in the back, looks like I'm pretty much on the bump stops.
338506799_938102234182799_4975453768894376970_n.jpg

This s obviously no good. I have fixed one problem where the wheels will not rub anymore, however you dont want to be riding on bump stops when having two passengers in the back.

If only I could extend the spring. I could buy factory springs. but they are only around 10mm higher than that I have ideally over 25mm would be great.

Started searching and came across these. Sits at the base of the spring, a cup for the spring to sit in.
1681198878695.png

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GLS-1628

Ordered 2 of them. Hopefully arriving this week. FedEx tracking is showing Monday though. So I'll have to pop them on after the show.

Back