New alloys for the T/A

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Thought crossed my mind some time ago. 2 of my wheels are 23 years old, the other two are 21 years old. All showing signs of age, rechromed them lastest a while, there are small cracks appearing on them in the metal.
I did try last year to look for alloys, many UK companies want the make/model before you can browse the website, they dont list Pontiac, although some do list chevy. Did make email contact with one, gave them all details of my current wheels. they showed me some wheels, and said I could go ahead and and choose one. Well the lit of ones they suggested were all 7 inches wide or smaller, what use is that?, need 9 inches. So couldn't make progress with that.

The sort of style i like is, and in like a gunmetal grey.

1676922929711.png

Northants tyres has something simular, it is 18inch comes in 9 or 9.5inch wide. Looking at 18 inche tyres and would need to be a lower profile, tyre price is still resonable. My current wheels at 17inch.

1676922913161.png

I have emailed Northants tyres. Lets see how it goes. I will keep this thread updated.

My wheels are the main thing that lets the car down.

Sent an image to a freind of the car with the original wheels.
WhatsApp Image 2023-02-21 at 12.38.47.jpg

A photo of the wheels and he sent me back this. How good is that. Would have taken me days to do that.
WhatsApp Image 2023-02-21 at 13.18.03.jpg

Spend the money on the camaro then sell then have more money to spend of wheels if swmnbo dosnt put a deposit down on a 442🤑

Thought crossed my mind some time ago. 2 of my wheels are 23 years old, the other two are 21 years old. All showing signs of age, rechromed them lastest a while, there are small cracks appearing on them in the metal.
I did try last year to look for alloys, many UK companies want the make/model before you can browse the website, they dont list Pontiac, although some do list chevy. Did make email contact with one, gave them all details of my current wheels. they showed me some wheels, and said I could go ahead and and choose one. Well the lit of ones they suggested were all 7 inches wide or smaller, what use is that?, need 9 inches. So couldn't make progress with that.

The sort of style i like is, and in like a gunmetal grey.

View attachment 167658

Northants tyres has something simular, it is 18inch comes in 9 or 9.5inch wide. Looking at 18 inche tyres and would need to be a lower profile, tyre price is still resonable. My current wheels at 17inch.

View attachment 167657

I have emailed Northants tyres. Lets see how it goes. I will keep this thread updated.

My wheels are the main thing that lets the car down.
Hi Dan;
You may or may not be aware of this, but in sourcing new wheels, be careful of the “offset”, ie how deep or shallow is the centre boss where the wheelnuts go.
My 71 Firebird came with Snowflakes off a T/A that would have been at least 6 years older (I think they came out in 77 or 78) but it also had with it a set of Cragar Super Street wheels and tyres. As I preferred the look, when my car was up at AutoPontiac, my mate took me up with the wheels, which they were going to swap over while it was up on the ramp.
Robin called me a couple of days before we were due to go up, to tell me that the Snowflakes had been bodged onto the car; the wheelnuts were flat faced instead of tapered as they need to be to seat on the Snowflakes properly, which meant that the threads were barely engaged and holding on. We then discovered the Snowflakes had been fitted on top of two sets of spacers which meant the front wheel caught on the inner wing, and the rears were millimetres from the exhaust which had been beaten with a mallet to make the wheels fit.
Luckily, North Hants had the correct nuts to fit my Cragars properly to the studs, and because the offset was different on them, they fitted better. We still used the thinner spacer to give a bit more clearance from the exhaust but at least now the wheels don’t foul it or anything else.
Before you commit to buying anything, well worth checking they are going to fit correctly.
All the best,
Matt

Yes certainly worth being careful on the offsets.
I spoke to Ian Hopkinson a while back, when I went around the loop the first time on what wheels to get. He told me the measurements that are on Steves TA.
I approached Northants tyres with measurements of my current wheels, and how they sit on the body work. A lot of measusmrents, they have worked out offsets etc.. Also then mentioned the numbers Ian gave me, and they seems to tally up. So thats all good.

So soon I will have 4 spare WS6 wheels with legal tyres on them (new wheels are 18 inch so my 17inch tyres wont fit) Thought I@d pop on email, i know WS6 wheels are hard to get hold of. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155199025588?hash=item24229531b4:g:I9QAAOSwbO1i0cmm&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoJb2uTwMds9UbcPxb0EEr4N3q4Eyv4mVT0L3LNdrZy3ody61BDsJ8nZDvDo4ou0AFyHG518qxtrglpmm0gaikQRoNQH+1Dz1n4lY+GEjQUNKkvO1m1uuOBFhpfSrNNFKZBJY5eQKfIdsns5aUTNZZIm/QrxrzRrTb7GgM8KNlYeRzre+NDtBMuoYhhDWksd9MVZXAPG+tZWAd5tnan3KfQc=|tkp:Bk9SR973krTQYQ
Now only a couple of my wheels are in this good condition, the others have flakey chrome.
I wonder how much it is to rechrome them, is it worth spending money on them to sell them.... I'll need to think about that one, if its £20 a wheel to rechome then yeah, if its £150 to rechrome, then nope.

Found a place called http://www.wheeltex.co.uk/ has a branch in Portsmouth. Not too huge code to refurbish the wheels. So like £200 to pay for all 4 wheels and the Wheels could be worth £1k. food for thought.

1677251635640.png

That's not rechroming for that price.
That's ether for shot blasting then podee coating or new paint. Rechroming is lot more expensive

That's not rechroming for that price.
That's ether for shot blasting then podee coating or new paint. Rechroming is lot more expensive
Yeah, its probably podee coating. Not chrome, I need to search a bit more. I paid amost £100 a wheel to have them done before.

Popping up to Nothants Tyres tomorrow morning, one to take a look at the wheels, also to make sure measurements are correct, ofsetts etc..
Ovbiously taking the T/A.

1677511041022.png

enjoy drive you could pop into the american garage round the corner as well, just checked they have moved didnt know that, still not far

Used to be in aldershot I didn't know they had moved. They are or are always at wheels day. I been in there shop garage once back when I used to cover that area.

They moved 15 years ago. I was chatting to the sales guy about that.

The sales guy 'James' was very helpful indeed. Explaining offsets, where the wheel will sit.
Going for 275 on the front, and 285 on the rear. I asked about is it possible to get even wider on the rear. He said yes but you will be in Porche tyre size, so you £150 tyre will not be £400+ so that was very useful info.

1677590317309.png

1677590345188.png

The wheels on the left in both photos is for the front, 9 inch wide. The other one is 9.5inch, slightly deeper dish and the spokes are kinds flatter.

Great to see them in person. They do have them in stock, and will be ready tomorrow morning. I'm aiming to nip up there on Thursday morning, as its £85+vat for delivery, and the little road trip was fun in the T/A.

Did see a couple of other wheels there that were contenders.
Still settling on the ones I have chosen.
1677597883067.png

1677597899726.png

1677597926335.png

They would look nice on the camaro

Not seen wheels on the camaro for some time.

They have rotated in years lol.🤣

Possible going up tomorrow morning. Looking to take the morning off work. If that works for all my colleagues, then I'll give Northants a call to check they will be ready tomorrow. Another little road trip. Hopefully no accidents on the A3 this time, I was sitting in stationary traffic for ages.
IMG_20230228_090034.jpg

No cattle Darren, real traffic. Thought I'd take a photo for you as I know you miss all this.

Lol. All that human cattle, don't miss any of that traffic,

Last edited:
Wheels are on. I'm really liking the look of these, looking smart.

full

full

full

full

full

Before
full

After
full

Back