New sound from the TransAm on starting

Depends weather the teeth of the puller will get behind it. There is a multi choice of pullers in a garage in Wales lol.🤣

Depends weather the teeth of the puller will get behind it. There is a multi choice of pullers in a garage in Wales lol.🤣
Pop round for a cuppa, I'll pop the kettle on.

Pop round for a cuppa, I'll pop the kettle on.
No need to pop round. My 150mm puller couldn't get behind, however my 100mm one could. Having that chain on there actually helped with that puller.
1000066345.jpg

A few turns, probably 4mm and it was free.
1000066347.jpg

This is great. Due to no resistance after 4mm it means I can use the old cog to push through new on.

All done for today.
1000066349.jpg

well done

New parts are here. Taken the front cover to the local garage to have a new seal pressed in. Old seal looks fine, but as it came in the kit, may as well fit it. Could probably do it on the bench but not got through proper tools.
1000066384.jpg

New timing chain, cogs and pump here too.
1000066393.jpg

Gaskets too
1000066394.jpg

1000066395.jpg

Using the old cog to push through new on. Didn't require much force at all.
1000066408.jpg

1000066410.jpg

New pump and chain soaking in new oil. Turned the new pump to suck in that pickup hole and can see it pushing out the hole in the back.
1000066411.jpg

Keep the updates coming

Keep the updates coming

Sump going back on. The threaded bar was a test for the bottom pulley later on.
1000066441.jpg

Got loads of washers to pad out the recess in the wheel
1000066442.jpg

Pop it in gear and start tightening this up with a 24mm spanner.
1000066465.jpg

Spread some oil on the surfaces to help thr seal slight and thr pulley over the crank.
1000066466.jpg

All on and done for the night.
1000066469.jpg

Tightened up the front cover bolts last so the seal would locate in the middle. Sump done up, oil filter fitted.

Turned over on the starter, no noises yet.

Was there some chain guilds to go on as well they might be on I can see them not got my glasses on lol.🤣

Might have painted the cover while it was off?

Was there some chain guilds to go on as well they might be on I can see them not got my glasses on lol.🤣
No chain guides. 98 and 99 cars had them 2000 didn't. There are no threaded holes in that block, they were later re-introduced in later engines. I did consider drilling holes and tapping them to install guides from another year.

Might have painted the cover while it was off?
Yes considered doing that too, or stripping off the old stuff. I got this from a 'proper' paint place. They said it is for aluminium engine block. Very disappointed that it's flaking off, wish I left it bare metal. A lot of the front cover is hidden luckily.

Etch prime it and heat rated paint don't know the heat range for etcher tho.

I have a question. The last gaskets left are for the warterpump. This gasket set also contained the front cover. Also o-rings for the oil pump, but as the pump came with a pair too I used those instead.
1713360403696.png

Waterpump needs a clean, but only 2 gaskets required. I'm planning on using the metal gaskets.
1713360480775.png

My question is, it is normal to see a paper copy of the gaskets in a kit? you wouldn't install both as a pair would you? perhaps its for other variations, or for people that prefer the paper gaskets?

Looks like the pump had the metal gaskets fitted. What was being used when you took the pump off? If you had no issues I would use like for like.

Looks like the pump had the metal gaskets fitted. What was being used when you took the pump off? If you had no issues I would use like for like.
Thanks, yes metal gaskets before. No leaks before.

what do the destructions say in the pack???????

Popped on the metal ones
1000066515.jpg

Water pump now fitted and torqued up.
1000066516.jpg

Got the engine joined to the k-Member through the engine mounts. Got a few bolts in loosely to join the k-Member to to the classis. Wanting to get the holes centered I'm going to need to use ratchet straps to pull it into place. A job for tomorrow.

Back