New sound from the TransAm on starting

i got engine hoist, if you want to take it out
Thank for the offier. I will keep that in mind. Hopefully it wont come to that.

I needed to get the pulley wheel off. Malc offered to lend me his puller to give it go. It was a pain getting the thing on, very stiff, I knew it would put up a fight. Anyway thought I'd start clearing space to give it a go.

1712519350587.png

1712519362551.png

1712519375566.png

1712519388398.png

1712519399270.png

Came off alot easier than I thought.

I put some penetrations on some steering bits as want to swap out the rack for a new one that I have up in the loft.

I need to remove the waterpump so i can get the front cover off, also need to drop the k-member to get the sump off. Its getting there.

A recap, where we started and where to go next....

A data log from the evening before the noise. All seemed to run fine. We do have a bit of knock retard before shutting off, this could be normal, the exhaust on low RPM can rattle, I wouldn't be suprised if the engine sensors picked this up. Or is the noise a start of some mechanical issue?
Oil pressure not logged, there are limited amount of sensors you csn read per second, oil pressure wasn't a priority during tuning, but sure would have been handy if I did capture it in this log.
1712561225056.png

So the next day we both get in the car, turn it over, turns as normal, then a clonk, the clonk was so feirce it was like someone left a ratchet on the bottom pulley and it swang round and hit the chassis. The car shook. Had the engine jammed? I'm not trying it on the starter again until looking.
Pushed the car in the garage to take a look under the valve covers. I have had rocker issues in the past where a bolt came loose and the rocker would bank on the rocker cover. Was it top end valves? Got a ratchet on the bottom pulley and could turn the engine a full rotation, it was knackering.
The next day I tried manually turning the engine with no spark plugs in it. Far easier. Then happy to try it oin the starter again. Can hear a light banging noise, something in the engine by the sounds of it.
Removed the belt, to rule out every other thing on there, like power steeping, waterpump. Turning all of them by hand nothing odd. Jacked up car higher to get underneath.
Done a compression test to rule out piston to value collision, 205 - 215psi across all 8 cylinders.
Turning the engine by hand, I can feel resistance every two turns, I think I hear something but not sure, and it could be normal.
Getting the sump off I can look for bits of metal.

I may end up being the starter of something, the noise only happened on a starter, I cant turn the engine fast enough by hand to simular the starter speed. The noise seemed to have gone, perhaps what every caused a jam has broken down.

I think I need to look in the sump. Looks for signs of something banging? oil pump?
Oil pump does show no pressure, but with it being turned over so much without running then this could be normal.

Sump almost off, I'm changing the steering rack anyway, so this can be taken off and get out of the way, along with lowering the k-member to give the sump clearence for the removal.

Waterpump removed.
1712600927529.png

Front cover removed
1712600955822.png

There are some cam bearing retainer bolts beging the large cog, the head of those bolts come very close, could have event touched. However no sign of damage.
1712600971892.png

The timing chain looks a tad slack, may be time for a new one. Its only around 10k miles old. The valve train does give more stress than usual, This could have been the noise I heard when turning the engine manually, thinking it was in the sump.

New timing chaing being added to the shopping list.
I'll get new cogs too and also go for double roller chain. The current one is single.
1712604899245.png

Double roller has some clearence issue with the timing cover, you can but a modified timing cover. So needed to search what needed to be done.
This chap made a great video.
Now I feel far more confident about buying the double roller timing chain.
My valve spring are tough, made for less bounce at 6k+ rpm, this puts on more stress rotating the came, therefor more stress ont he chain. I do have an LS2 timing chaing on an LS1 engine for added strength. However I'm going to the double roller with a timing chain dampener.

Its coming together.

Further thoughts on the noise, was it a rocker hitting the rocker cover? Well there are no whitness marks on the cover. However the noise when using the starter motor did stop after jacking up the engine higher and removing the passender rocker cover. I'm chasing a feel in the bottom end after torating the engine manually, and that feels like it could have been a tming chain rattle.

Will have a play this evening,
Needed to nip to Screwfix for another gas car. got a stubborn nut that needs some persuasion
1712769940596.png

Gonna have tea first, and do a bit of evening work. Then I'll be out there.

Got some heat on the tie rod end. That did it, nit loose nowm
1000066091.jpg

1000066094.jpg

K member loosened too. Getting ready to lower it. A job for tomorrow.
Added some Plus Gas to the steering rack connection to the column.

Plan for this evening is to remove the bolts on the steering rack, remove the 4 remaining bolts holding the K-Member to the chassis. Then the sump will come out,
Inspect for anything.
Tomorrow an order parts. Then they have the weekend to hopefully arrive middle of next week. Perhaps all assembled for Sunday.

As I have a new steering rack and pipes. I wanted to see which of the 4 pipes I have brought so I know what to take off the car.
1000066119.jpg

1000066118.jpg

So popped in up in the loft to get a photo.

Well done cracking on with it.
Like your bit about all assembled for Sunday. No chance never not in a million years sure bet with Ladbrokes that you won't lol.🤣

Well done cracking on with it.
Like your bit about all assembled for Sunday. No chance never not in a million years sure bet with Ladbrokes that you won't lol.🤣
Sunday 21st. If parts arrive mid week and there is no major damage, I reckon 4 to 8 hours to get it together and fired up.

Steering rack almost off.
1000066136.jpg

Worked on getting the steering rack out
1000066136.jpg

Wasn't too bad, one of the pipes was stubborn so cut it off as have a new set
1000066137.jpg

Getting less and less stuff in there.
1000066141.jpg

Next was to undo 3 bolts on this side of the k-Member that joins it to the chassis. Same the other side. Jack holding it up so it didn't drop and take brake pipes with it.
1000066142.jpg

1000066144.jpg

Sump out. No evidence of anything in the bottom.
1000066145.jpg

1000066159.jpg

1000066160.jpg

Spotted something in the pick up tube
1000066161.jpg

Plug for scale.
1000066162.jpg

Tiny spring.
1000066163.jpg

1000066164.jpg

1000066165.jpg

1000066166.jpg

1000066167.jpg

1000066168.jpg

1000066169.jpg

1000066170.jpg

Wonder what that spring is from? From the video sound it sounded like something bigger than a spring broken clanging around. What's next take oil pump off? Your steering rack showing feeling any issues plap leaks mine was easier to get of. And replaced aced seals.

Ru now nice. Nothing looking odd.

Slight sideways movement on the conrods, I guess that's okay?

Wonder what that spring is from? From the video sound it sounded like something bigger than a spring broken clanging around. What's next take oil pump off? Your steering rack showing feeling any issues plap leaks mine was easier to get of. And replaced aced seals.
Steering rack felt okay, a slightly weeping gator. Rack had done over 200k so I was happy to swap it out. Perhaps get it reconditioned and keep as a spare.

The spring can't have created that noise, inside a hydraulic roller or pump are larger springs, so not sure where that comes from. It's like part of a spring that is used around a rubber seal.

Now I'm thinking what is a hydraulic lifter has expanded again, pushing the rockers into the rocker cover. (although no marks on the rocker cover to indicate that) Would explain through banging then and not now as only happens when pumped up(after enough oil pressure)

Back