Garage Plans

That's a good point re preventing the sides of the pit from bowing in from the pressure of the concrete. As I may have mentioned before, it may try to float on the concrete and will probably have to be held down somehow lol.

I reckon I know where Dan will be sleeping and working from for the next few days - In the pit! Looking good though!

Last edited:
Nice clean tidy work site, lol, what options you going for to get covers out each time you want to use pit ? recessed D handles finger holes rope handles all of the above???

That's a good point re preventing the sides of the pit from bowing in from the pressure of the concrete. As I may have mentioned before, it may try to float on the concrete and will probably have to be held down somehow lol.
The plan is to use the weight of the digger to hold it down, now with the cover we can place the bucket attached to the digger on it. The concrete pour will be mixed in the mixer(rather than a lorry) and may do just half one day and the other half another day.

Nice clean tidy work site, lol, what options you going for to get covers out each time you want to use pit ? recessed D handles finger holes rope handles all of the above???
Work site a lot tiderier now, the floor has dried out in many places so got the brush out this morning. Also done a general tidy around. Great being able to safely walk over the pit.

Not sure on handle design for removing the cover. It will be in 3 or 4 sections. Also the rubber/plastic floor I'm going foor will also go over the pit cover so you wont even know the pit is there. I did initually think rope handles. Even if it just on one, as once you lift one up, you can grab the edge of the next.

Last edited:
Any exposed handle could be considered as a trip point.

I have 2 double sockets in the pit. The other one was already wired, I done that months ago. This one connects everything. 4 armoured cables coming in. One to the other socket, one for each light and power in.
IMG_20200111_111926.jpg

All wired and front put on.
IMG_20200111_121515.jpg

Gave the pit a bit more of a wipe over. Power towels on the floor to dry up the last little bits. The sides were damp due to water trying to evaporate but can't escape with the boards on the top. So I have popped a pallet at one end so air can pass but I can't fall in.

IMG_20200111_122519.jpg

Does feel creepy sitting under the covered end.
A little more cleaning to do another day. It's coming up very nice.

Which car gets to live over the pit?
Likely to be the TA, it will be nearer the workbench, more room around it, and I'll be underneath checking things more often than the Camaro.

I would park the Camaro over the pit to catch any deteriating parts that are likely to fall off. Then you could stand in the pit and glue them back on again.

yet to see the jacking beem you brought for the pit.

yet to see the jacking beem you brought for the pit.
It's in the shed, still wrapped in bubble wrap. Did you want to see it in the pit?

of course , ,

of course , ,

I will get a photo in the morning.

Another item I need to look into it making hot water from a cold feed using electric. Dosn't have to be hot hot, just for washing hands in the sink. Already have the sink from the old kitchen. Preferably a unit that sits under the sink. Much like a shower. I've seen things for over £600 but that crazy as you can but a cheap shower for £100 and pretty much contains all I need.

Loads of different water heaters out there and point of use units as all can be of a 13 amp switch fused spur

Here you go Darren, Jacking beam in the pit.
IMG_20200113_121841.jpg

IMG_20200113_121851.jpg

Jacking beam from underneath.
IMG_20200113_122448.jpg

That's a jack plate for a trolly jack to go on isn't it or dose it go up down???

Back