COVID-19

Not at Will. It easy to manipulate numbers. How about if that graph counted number of people in cars (which would always be in accurate) whilst the numbers for aircraft counted individual flights?
And those are just the sort of shenanigans that people use. It’s bollocks. You can manipulate numbers to show anything in a positive or negative light. Don’t believe everything on the internet because if I was motivated to try I could find a counter to anything.
I posted one of the many similar charts I found Dave. I have since tried to find some evidence which shows avaition as causing more global pollution than automotive transport, but was unable to. I personally am not biased either way, so would be interested to see some balancing information.
To find out actual pollution generated, ignoring the number of people being carried by the various modes of transport, I guess they should consider how many sperate modes of transport were in use, for how long and how much pollution they each produce.

Last edited:
When I was on a flight to the USA they announced on the video clip at the beginning of the flight that the plane was efficent using less fuel per passenger than a car.
I read later on that taking off can use more fuel than the entire flight, but I don't know how long the flight was from that example.
But it does show that the plane operators come across that's its cleaner travel but they don't tell you the whole story like the amount of fuel on take off.

When I was on a flight to the USA they announced on the video clip at the beginning of the flight that the plane was efficent using less fuel per passenger than a car.
I read later on that taking off can use more fuel than the entire flight, but I don't know how long the flight was from that example.
But it does show that the plane operators come across that's its cleaner travel but they don't tell you the whole story like the amount of fuel on take off.
I guess that's the type of BS which AT was talking about. It's unreasonable of airlines to try to say how much pollution each passenger would generate if they drove, because driving simply isn't an option for many flight routes.

Too much twisting of facts. The news are top class of that. BBC breakfast interviewed someone, came across fairly positive, but when they played back highlights of that interview for the news they only played the negative bits. They are A-holes at twisting the truth.

Yes yes and yes!
I think it’s best to form your own opinions after studying all the non-emotional facts presented.
And then keep them to yourself as for everyone person who agrees there is another who doesn’t.
It’s especially important when it’s a subject that brings out peoples emotions. It’s how I try to live these days. Too many negative experiences primarily on non face to face mediums.

Yes yes and yes!
I think it’s best to form your own opinions after studying all the non-emotional facts presented.
And then keep them to yourself as for everyone person who agrees there is another who doesn’t.
It’s especially important when it’s a subject that brings out peoples emotions. It’s how I try to live these days. Too many negative experiences primarily on non face to face mediums.
Opinions are bound to differ and information will vary, but I always thought this to be the basis for discussion, either by text or face to face. Apologies, I didn't see pollution as a particularly emotive topic. No offence intended.

Back to thread topic, I heard that police have been randomly stopping people to check how important their journey is. I am sure I have noticed slightly more police around our way.
I was just wondering, has this happened to anyone, or to anyone you know?

Back to thread topic, I heard that police have been randomly stopping people to check how important their journey is. I am sure I have noticed slightly more police around our way.
Yep, at Sarahs work, 3 people have been going in, they are in different departments. Just really keeping the place going while other people work at home. One got stopped on their way home yesterday, and the other two on their way in this morning. They said who they work for, and I think the Police made contact with the workplace to try to get less people to go in.
Another chap in Denmead, a freinds mums freinds son got pulls over to driving to the shop to get loo roll, the police told him to turn round to go home.

Out here in Denmead the sherrif rides his horse through the village once a fortnight and his deputy every other week. Seriously though, I haven't noticed any increased police presence any where yet. Went to asda today, one way pedestrian traffic and not many people about, arrows and lines on the floor, even had loo rools on the shelves. Also limiting the people in the shop at any one time - very civillised. Just done the 8:00 clap!

Wow! It's reassuring to know they are doing this. Some people are still acting very irresponsibly. I feel a bit sorry for the guy driving to get loo roll... assuming he really was! :unsure:. Maybe he wasn't very convincing lol

Out here in Denmead the sherrif rides his horse through the village once a fortnight and his deputy every other week. Seriously though, I haven't noticed any increased police presence any where yet. Went to asda today, one way pedestrian traffic and not many people about, arrows and lines on the floor, even had loo rools on the shelves. Also limiting the people in the shop at any one time - very civillised. Just done the 8:00 clap!
Lol
Good to Hear Asda are taking those steps.
Yeah, we did the 8pm clap too. Most of the neighbours were out and we could hear cheering and whistles from the surrounding neighborhood. Our NHS staff are heroes, they deserve it (y)

I had to take some shopping out to an elderly relative in Waterlooville yesterday (via Portsdown Hill) and there did seem to be a lot of Police cruising around. Surprisingly, there were still quite a lot of people congregating around Micks Monsters (despite it being shut) and in the other parking area up near Doggers Lane or whatever it's called, including some people in motor homes. Never seen the Havant Road so deserted though.....

image.jpeg

On the news this morning.
EasyJet have laid off all their staff for 2months after grounding their fleet. What do they know the rest of don’t?
And then I read that government says restrictions could last 6 months!!!! I’m going stir crazy after a week!
But if that’s the truth I can see a lot of people losing their jobs as lots of companies either contract or close. It’s very disturbing times.

I'm surprised as many flights carried on as they did. If they were serious about spreading, the lockdown should have started earlier, but then I guess they didn't know back then how well it can spread. Apparently its been around since August. We have may already had it but just passed it off as Flu, so if its been around that long, why worry now? but then what do we kow that is actually true, the media feed us stuff. I wonder who pays in the end, this is effecting the economy of the whole world. Some of us are still lucky to have a job, we are paying bill but cant really buy much as nothing really open.
Should the Chineese be fined by the rest of the world for their 19th attempt at this virus. Its a strain of the SARS virus that they worked on some time ago. Is this a good time to just not buy cihnees products, go back to maufacturing in our own countries. Buying a DVD player for £26 that ends upon the landfill in under 1 years time is just filling up our land fills, but people buy that rubbish. I heard a freind saying he buys of 'Wish' really cheap stuff, like quad copters that last 1 week if you are lucky.

Should the Chineese be fined by the rest of the world for their 19th attempt at this virus. Its a strain of the SARS virus that they worked on some time ago. Is this a good time to just not buy cihnees products, go back to maufacturing in our own countries.

They should be paying big time.
The worry for me is that this is a deliberate act. Make the Chinese the biggest economy in the world and the biggest superpower. A superpower whose political agenda is very red and whose links to Russia are very concerning. It could be disastrous.
Where an alternative exists I won’t be buying Chinese.

Hopefully there isn't something terrible that Easyet don't know and it's just a self preservation move on their part :confused:
Indeed, I think the global financial impact of this will be both bad and long lasting.
Re the virus, I heard a medical expert say that it's mortality rate is roughly ten times that of the flu. So, if 1000 people catch flu, one will die, where's Coronavirus will kill around 10. That's why they are taking it so seriously.
Whether it was some sort of bungled experiment or because they caused it to cross over from animals as a result of their eating habits, it does seem to have come from China. But their government seems quite corrupt and untrustworthy so will we ever know the truth!

All our phones are made in China, including Apple products. These products were developed in other countries like the US, so could quite easily move production, just may take a while to get enough production going in another country.

But their government seems quite corrupt and untrustworthy so will we ever know the truth!

Somewhat of an understatement there. The Chinese government have oppressed their people and denied basic human rights for years as well as massive sensorship.

Mind you, google are now almost exclusively using AI to sensor YouTube and no-one is blinking an eye so now an independent company is deciding what you can see and watch and our own Western governments are either ignoring it or are supportive of it.

I am far more concerned about where this will all end up socially and culturally than I am about contracting the virus.
Yep, me too. It wasn't long ago that riot's almost formed about something, think that was around 8 or 9 years ago, where looting happened. It dosn't take much to tip people over the edge. This virus is causing a major change in our lives. We wouldn't have enough police to keep things under control. Its civalised at the moment. Could it end up like Mad Max?