COVID-19

Some alternate thinking but backed up by some basic stats.

Every death is a huge loss for family, friends and loved ones. But put Covid into perspective. Around 1,600 people die every single day in the UK, for some reason or another. In recent weeks, Covid has barely featured in the top ten causes of death. The average age of a coronavirus fatality is 82: that is older than average life expectancy. The reality is that this horrible condition is only very dangerous for a tiny minority of people. Anyone catching Covid has more than a 99.5% chance of surviving it, most with no symptoms at all.
There is another way, a credible alternative strategy—promoted by some of the world's finest epidemiologists—called the Great Barrington Declaration. It is effectively being practised to a large degree in Sweden, with considerable success.
Focused protection is its key, targeting resources at those most at risk, whether it is the elderly, vulnerable or those with other medical conditions. The rest of the population should, with simple hygiene measures and a dose of common sense, get on with life—this way we build immunity in the population. We must learn to live with the virus not hide in fear of it.

Some alternate thinking but backed up by some basic stats.

Every death is a huge loss for family, friends and loved ones. But put Covid into perspective. Around 1,600 people die every single day in the UK, for some reason or another. In recent weeks, Covid has barely featured in the top ten causes of death. The average age of a coronavirus fatality is 82: that is older than average life expectancy. The reality is that this horrible condition is only very dangerous for a tiny minority of people. Anyone catching Covid has more than a 99.5% chance of surviving it, most with no symptoms at all.
There is another way, a credible alternative strategy—promoted by some of the world's finest epidemiologists—called the Great Barrington Declaration. It is effectively being practised to a large degree in Sweden, with considerable success.
Focused protection is its key, targeting resources at those most at risk, whether it is the elderly, vulnerable or those with other medical conditions. The rest of the population should, with simple hygiene measures and a dose of common sense, get on with life—this way we build immunity in the population. We must learn to live with the virus not hide in fear of it.
I could reply with... "Stats and percentages can and are manipulated to enforce any answer..." un-quote. 😉

Seriously, I agree with most of that and will reinforce that it is indeed a horrible condition that can leave survivors with long term and even life long dibilitations. Such cases are seldom mentioned in the general figures. And I agree too that we shouldn't live in fear of Covid, but we should remain respectful of the dangers, even if not to ourselves.

And already, with the 2nd nationwide lockdown not yet in place, the rhetoric has changed from enjoying Christmas to enjoying Spring!
I wish more people would challenge this BS.

Lots of people rushing to the pubs for one last gatherring before 2nd lockdown.

Therein lies the lack of common sense we have mentioned!
Yep. Walked past the pub in Rowlands castle to walk the dogs in the woods, they were people sitting outside on the benches, the benches covering the footpath, had to walk to the road to get past the pub, it was packed in there.

Yep. Walked past the pub in Rowlands castle to walk the dogs in the woods, they were people sitting outside on the benches, the benches covering the footpath, had to walk to the road to get past the pub, it was packed in there.
And that's probably going on right accross the country! I agree with the concept of trying to live our lives normally and protecting the more vulnerable, but the fact is, there is currently no effective treatment or a vaccine and as the rest of us can carry and spread it, distancing remains the best weapon. Yes, common sense can work but seems to be lacking somewhat! lol.

I expect whats happening is the pubs are selling thier beer off cheap rather than pour it down the drains and when word gets around it encourages stupid behaviour.

I expect whats happening is the pubs are selling thier beer off cheap rather than pour it down the drains and when word gets around it encourages stupid behaviour.
You're bang on Chris 👍. I've read that Wetherspoon are selling pints at 99p until lockdown!!!

So apparently there is a cure that is 90% effective. Usually medicines go through many years of testing. Sounds like the government are talking about getting this injected into as many people as possible? if that wise when we dont know the long term effects. I guess at the pro's and con's have been weighed up.

I am legend maybe a Hollywood movie but the story is remarkably alike. Now, do I want to be a cannibal night stalker or a survivor?!!! ;)

Is it a cure? I had heard they are close to finding a vaccine. Apparently it has already been tested on around 43,000 people with excellent results and no issues so far. No zombies anyway! lol. But I think there is still more testing before it is licensed for general use. And it won't be compulsory.

Speaking of the couple behind the vaccine, I quote “setting up a firm in 2001 that focused on modifying genetic code to create cancer-fighting antibodies.”

That sounds so familiar..... oh wait, I am Legend!!!! :)

Thanks Dan :)

Going well thank you. Commute is going to take done getting used to - especially the drive home in the dark. Last night there was an accident on main road so had a quick lesson in finding a detour :)

Amazon are making 1.6billion per month during Covid. With that much profit, makes you wonder if Covid was manufactured for someone to benefit.