Xmas Toy ( TA project) come early

Looked on line 65quid upwards so tried 1st motor factors 90quid plus vat wouldn't do any discount 2nd motor factors 85quid said I could get cheaper they came back with 65quid plus vat I said I get free delivery on line so they matched price 65quid all in for a lucus battery 027. On trickle charge ready to fit at weekend alway good practice to put new battery on charge as you don't know how long it's been sitting on there shelf.
IMG_20221018_191643.jpg

That is a very good price.

I put a new Lucas on my daily 2 weeks ago, just shy of £75. However, I put a simlar Lucas battery on the stang about a year ago and holds charge really well but can't find the reciept. Both bought from my local 'Proparts'. Didn't trickle either but still working well. Never heard of that but maybe it's good practice.

Found receipt for the Stang battery, £78 and change in May 21.

Last edited:
i too use proparts always had good service there. never charged a battery before using. it will charge as soon as the engine starts.

Perhaps someone didn't have full confidence in the £65 battery so gives it a good charge before hand.

I aways charge any car battery i buy, i was advised to do this many years ago by a motor factor, and as a young kid working in garage the shed they had next to the ramps, they would always charge their batteries remember the big red battery chargers on wheels? the 2 prong testers bottles of distilled water and refill acid, those were the days,

Lucus is a good brand, remember this was 85quid reduced to match the online price,

you don't know how long the battery has been sitting on suppliers' shelf going through those different temperature's just sitting there in storeroom, yes you can put battery straight on car and if no other faults it will charge it if you got 10 min journey home its not really going to get much are a recharge,
remember a standard battery example ie crank could be 340 amps to crank engine over and 60ah thats 60 amps for 1 hour then flat ,

mine is a 027 = 550 amp crank and 62 am per hour,

another example 95ah 800amp crank something like this would be used for vehicles that have auto start stop tec, and need to be programmed to car with scan tool, at least are old cars don't have all this modern tec,

Last edited:
another example 95ah 800amp crank something like this would be used for vehicles that have auto start stop tec, and need to be programmed to car with scan tool, at least are old cars don't have all this modern tec,
I manage to avoid the start stop tech when buying a car. More costly on starter motors and batteries. Wonder how much emmisions it really saves. Better off bringing back the roundabouts and get rid of more traffic lights, that would decrease emmisions.

When driving in the USA you can turn right at a red light if its clear and safe. This would help a bit but over here roundabouts generaly work better. However, getting away from thread title so any more on this should be in a new thread.

New battery in engine started up over 14 volts so charging as well from alternator checked coolant needs bit more antifreeze added do that once cooled down
IMG_20221022_083939.jpg

IMG_20221022_090219.jpg

IMG_20221022_090226.jpg
IMG_20221022_085428.jpg

25mile round trip went over to my mate gave car a test run needed a clean with all the road grime
IMG_20221022_112510.jpg

IMG_20221022_112456.jpg
IMG_20221022_120607.jpg

this might be a winter project what do you think anybody used this set up or have digital gauges in their TA?

Probably not too diffuculy to wire in. I guess things like tank sensor would need to be for the right ohms for your intank level sensor, but if its a kit for your car everything should be there.
Solder the wires in, it may come with scotch locks which seems to work fine for a few years and then you are trying to chase where the bad conection is. Crimps is probably the next best thing.
That would be a great winter project.

Another idea I have what about a performance cam shaft??

Yeah a new bump stick will liven it up. Be careful of valve springs, as lumpier cams can have faster ramp rates and higher lifts.

Drop an LS3 in it. :giggle:

Last edited:
New ls3 would mean upgrades to suspension and brakes.
Camshaft small power torque upgrade new water pump and rad. Winter job might e mail summit see what they recommend on camshaft as the 403 olds engine is not a turner dream engine

New ls3 would mean upgrades to suspension and brakes.
Camshaft small power torque upgrade new water pump and rad. Winter job might e mail summit see what they recommend on camshaft as the 403 olds engine is not a turner dream engine
Cam should be nice and easy to slide in. I guess you will needed to remove your rockers/pushrods to remove the lifters. Slides out the front. Take care sliding it, its got copper bearings(certainly later engines do) wonder if its worth changing the bearings, they are press fitted into the block and may require a special tool to change them.

Must admit very tempted with doing cam change will pep her up a bit more. Need to do more investigation but agree slide out front change water pump as well

started her up today all good running sweeeaaatt (y)

No been busy with working on van over Xmas. Did look at inlet manifolds online today wow about 500quid

Back