What have you done to your vehicle today?

That was trying to remove them with the ball joint fork they were in there well and but all out now got the other side to do but not this weekend as got to put all this back together now

IMG_20210313_082446.jpg
IMG_20210313_084250.jpg

Fixed the Focus,instrument cluster like a christmas tree and no engine power, got the diagnostic box plugged in and had loads of CAN codes.Quick U TUBE confirmed my thoughts so out with the soldering iron and now fixed.Picture is off the net as i was too busy concentrating to take any pics but you get the idea
maxresdefault.jpg

Fixed the Focus,instrument cluster like a christmas tree and no engine power, got the diagnostic box plugged in and had loads of CAN codes.Quick U TUBE confirmed my thoughts so out with the soldering iron and now fixed.Picture is off the net as i was too busy concentrating to take any pics but you get the ideaView attachment 162136
I was going to ask how you took the photo while using two hands to solder. :)
Is this a common problem on the Focus? what was the fix, is it just a bad joint or did you need to change a component?

dry joints most likely we used to get loads working on tv back in the day remember cathod ray tubes owners used to slap the top or side of tv to get it working,, wen did you last see a tv repair shop??????????????????????????

wen did you last see a tv repair shop??????????????????????????
You dont, not worth repairing, for the cost of an eingineer to work on something for 8 hours, you could chuck you old chinnese one in landfill to replace it with another chineese one.

I was going to ask how you took the photo while using two hands to solder. :)
Is this a common problem on the Focus? what was the fix, is it just a bad joint or did you need to change a component?
Dry/cracked solder joints, this time i bought a usb microscope to be sure and once i got a clear image it was clear to see the cracks,,As for common on focus, yes,,we have also had 2 volvo's with dash issues, abs modules i have re soldered and a couple of other pcb problems,,,Cars ain't what they used to be:D

Got the discs and caliper off ready for new
IMG_20210313_160815.jpg
IMG_20210313_140903.jpg

dry joints most likely we used to get loads working on tv back in the day remember cathod ray tubes owners used to slap the top or side of tv to get it working,, wen did you last see a tv repair shop??????????????????????????
Haha yeah, old TV's were terrible for dry joints. I used to repair TV's but left that trade long before flat screen TV's came along. There a only a few TV repairers still around now, a mate of mine does it. He only repairs the large ones like Plasmas which are more expensive to replace. He is pretty quick and is usually able to repair them cheaper than buying a new one. Although, he says some are uneconomical to repair.

Started doing a few jobs on the Grand Prix today ahead of selling it. It's got an ABS light on. I have eliminated wheel sensors and wiring; all sensors measure within tolerance resistance and generate roughly the same AC voltage when I spin the wheels. And all four feeds from the ABS module measure the same open end resistance and the same voltage with the ignition on. So it looks like it may be a module or ABS pump issue. Ideally I need to get it connected to a scanner that does ABS.
IMG_20210314_150638_136.jpg
IMG_20210314_150451_933.jpg
IMG_20210314_150503_051~2.jpg

Started doing a few jobs on the Grand Prix today ahead of selling it. It's got an ABS light on. I have eliminated wheel sensors and wiring; all sensors measure within tolerance resistance and generate roughly the same AC voltage when I spin the wheels. And all four feeds from the ABS module measure the same open end resistance and the same voltage with the ignition on. So it looks like it may be a module or ABS pump issue. Ideally I need to get it connected to a scanner that does ABS.
All 4 wheels sticl stock size and no gear ratio changes? Brake fluid level good?

All 4 wheels sticl stock size and no gear ratio changes? Brake fluid level good?
Yeah, as far as I know the wheels, tyres, auto gearbox and diff are all standard spec. I've not changed anything since the light was out anyway. And yeah, the fluid level is OK. I'm trying to find somewhere locally I can get it plugged in. I'm hoping that may point me in the right direction.

is your abs unit got electric plug ? on dads van the plug had a couple of corroded pins cleaned up and all good, basic obd2 scanner will throw a generic fault code ie 1169 wheel sensor, more in depth reader wil pin point which wheel
you could have a bad tooth wheel and sensor cant read it ? check basics 1st,

Thanks for the suggestions guys 👍
I don't think it has any sensors on the driveshafts, only one on each wheel. As I say all sensors appear healthy and there seems to be continuity from the sensor connectors back to the module, which remains stable when flexing the wiring where it normally gets flexed.
But yeah, this doesn't rule out a broken tooth on an ABS ring, although not sure how common that is. The front sensors are built into the wheel bearings on these and it had a new pair a couple of years ago. Yes, there is a big multi way plug on the module which I will check for corrosion on the pins.

Anyone got a bigger pry bar lol
IMG_20210313_162331.jpg

Back