What have you done to your vehicle today?

Took the battery out.

Went to Bills funeral. A meeting place in Portchester. My car was in a Rowlands castle, started up fine, a good 20mins drive on the motorway. Stopped at the meeting place for the cruise. Then went to move the car. Motor slow to turn, then clicking.
IMG_20200113_145249.jpg

Battery measuring 11.25V. Sadly a jump pack someone lent me didn't work. Left the car there and hopped in another car.

Then after the wake, Malc jump started me, fired up fine nice and quick. Then done a u turn to start heading home. Over 13v, then 12v along the hill and getting near the amber before making it home. Battery terminals were tight, either corroded terminal or dodgy alternator. Was hoping to get the car in the garage over the pit and swap out the alternator, but due to the winds coming there are extra nails put in the temporary door so cant easily be moved. So for now I've put the battery on charge overnight and will clean up the terminals. I'm not planning on driving the car much anyway.

Last edited:
Took the battery out.

Went to Bills funeral. A meeting place in Portchester. My car was in a Rowlands castle, started up fine, a good 20mins drive on the motorway. Stopped at the meeting place for the cruise. Then went to move the car. Motor slow to turn, then clicking.
View attachment 158821
Battery measuring 11.25V. Sadly a jump pack someone lent me didn't work. Left the car there and hopped in another car.

Then after the wake, Malc jump started me, fired up fine nice and quick. Then done a u turn to start heading home. Over 13v, then 12v along the hill and getting near the amber before making it home. Battery terminals were tight, either corroded terminal or dodgy alternator. Was hoping to get the car in the garage over the pit and swap out the alternator, but due to the winds coming there are extra nails put in the temporary door so cant easily be moved. So for now I've put the battery on charge overnight and will clean up the terminals. I'm not planning on driving the car much anyway.
Only 12V when driving along rings alarm bells to me. Sounds like the alternator hasn't been regularly charging and the battery has got weak. I'll bet it fires straight up in the morning after a good charge.

Only 12V when driving along rings alarm bells to me. Sounds like the alternator hasn't been regularly charging and the battery has got weak. I'll bet it fires straight up in the morning after a good charge.
The odd thing is its over 13V after starting even with the lights on, so it starts charging but it seems to drop off charging after 10mins. It does sound like alternator, and I have a spare, I think there is some switch in the alternator to stop charging when it thinks the battery is full, is it that wire at fault... The alternator is original, so more likely to be the alternator itself. If only I could use the garage. The positive terminal on the battery was tight, with a little corrosion. I have new cables to make up, new battery terminals and new alternator to go on. Just one evening in the garage it will be done.

And the solstice is booked in to have an aftermarket stereo installed. The stock one is ok but the new one is an Alpine touch screen with Apple CarPlay. Bought a complete kit with wiring harness, chimes adapter and steering wheel control harness and faceplate. Just need the harness putting together and installing.
All sounds cool. Out of interest, was the previous stereo the original one from production? I only ask as I am curious to know if it was only able to tune to FM radio stations ending in an odd number?

I know I attached to Swindon’s local station yesterday but that was 105.5. I will check others for you next time I drive the car :)

The TA can only do odd numbers too. I have contemplated changing it for many years. There are a few stations 78.5, 102.3, 104.3 that I pick up fine. 98.2 I tune in to 98.1 and works as good as the others. I'm either channel hoping to avoid the rubbish on the radio or listening to the engine. It would be nice to channel hop through more stations. I probably won't ever change it now, keep it until it packs up, one of the few original things on the car, lol.

Same with the saleen very few station tend to use the 6stack CD more or not at all coz wen you have passengers they never stop talking lol. Have wonder weather be worth upgrading system

I never listen to the radio. In my daily it’s either silence or podcasts when I’m alone or music I stream from my phone when I’m not. In any American car it’s either more streamed music or I enjoy the V8 soundtrack.
I have no idea whether mine can pick up even numbers. I guess I’ll have to try it!

That further confirms what I have read about American radios. The radio in the GP is the same. It's a Sony but I think was in the car when it was imported.
Same here, I haven't bothered changing it for the same reasons as Dan and Darren lol.
I do sometimes listen to FM radio in my daily though, but only for news, traffic and weather as I find most modern music to be sh1te! lol. I listen to proper music on CD or via my phone. Other than that I have my little ham radio. That also receives aircraft and marine etc ;)

Last edited:
Ham radio that reminds me will you did a CB radio thread seeing lots of cars. 4x4 and farm vechiles with CB units now.

Ham radio that reminds me will you did a CB radio thread seeing lots of cars. 4x4 and farm vechiles with CB units now.
I did mate. It was under general discussion... in September 2018. Wow, it doesn't seem that long ago! :oops:
Not sure if anyone among us has since fitted a CB radio or found any gear hanging about? Yeah, I must admit, I have noticed a few more vehicles lately with what looks like CB aerials on come to think of it. I still have one in the GP and a mag mount aerial in the boot connected up and ready to go. I havent switched it on lately but I'll have a listen. As I mentioned before, it is a good laugh when a few people have them at car events and cruises :LOL:.
That M25 Bandit run was brilliant for it! Most of the cars and trucks seemed to have CB.

Had to change a tyre on the wife's car today. Get this...when I looked for the cause of the puncture, I found an allen key sticking out of the tyre!!! Lol
Screenshot_20200116-194144.png

You can never find an Allen key when you need one. Is there a staple or something similar to the right of the allen key.

Is it fixable?

Yeah, looking at the picture again that does look like a staple to the right. Not sure if it is or maybe just something stuck to the tread. The tyre is down the garage now and it's chucking it down outside so I'll have a look tomorrow.
The puncture was probably repairable but the tyre walls were starting to perish so I changed it anyway as I had a couple of very good part worns in the garage.
It was too late to get it done anywhere so I thought I'd have a go at changing it myself. I was able to break the beads by laying a length of steel on the tyre and driving my CRV up it until the beads broke. (I've seen that done on YouTube by rednecks - it works! lol). I then changed the tyres over with some large screwdrivers...which would have been a damn sight easier with tyre levers lol :cautious:.
It seems to still be up at the moment. If there is any wobble I'll need to get it balanced.

No spare on swmnbo car then?

would you ALLEN and eve it lol,,,,,

Back