What have you done to your vehicle today?

Took her for a spin - nice to be back driving her again but note to oneself - you must order the new exhaust!

Took her for a spin - nice to be back driving her again but note to oneself - you must order the new exhaust!
Does it have a hole? or you wanting to add cherry bombs?

It's leaking - I need to order a new downpipe with cat like this

IMG_1500.JPG

The trouble is the shipping cost :(

Ordered new version of the tuning software.

Ordered a fuel filter and air filter. Been running the same air filter for about 10 years, probably about time I changed it. lol. Its a K&N one, and has been washed every year and re-oiled. Going to get a regular paper one this time from the local motor factors.
The fuel filter, well, that hasn't been changed often, I done it soon after I owned it, and again when I had duff fuel and had to change the fuel pump. So 2 filters in 15 years. for the sake of under £20 for both fuel and air filters, may aswell change them as its soo easy to jack the car up now.

Air filter is AC Delco A917C
Fuel Filter Fram G7315

Last edited:
I never use Fram products particularly their oil filters. Their reputation for shoddy filtering abilities is well documented. Do a search and you'll see.

What about Wix?, they seem to be around a lot, sounds cheap to me.

I'm aiming to get AC Delco parts, I got those numbers from Rock Auto so I can source equivalents.

all the motor factors and motor shops all stock wix here , ang jg filters used a few on van and car

Changed Fuel Filter and Air Filter

IMAG5447.jpg
Jacked the car up nice and high, the nit on the filter looked a little rusty so sprayed some penetration oil on it. While that was seeping in I moved onto the air filter.

IMAG5448.jpg
The filter in there is a k&n one, it has been washed many times. So thinking its about time I just stick in a paper one.

IMAG5449.jpg
pop the air box off with the clips, and release the hose clamp, easier to break at the throttle body.
Filter a bit black, but then they tend to be red, and go dark when oiled with their special fluid.

IMAG5450.jpg
Nice new clean filter. I wonder if the car will breath different. I will find out from my next log file.

IMAG5452.jpg
Back to the filter, the nut wasn't bad at all to crack off, so either the penetration oil worked very well, or I didn't really need the oil. Either way, the job was easy. Pinch the other end of the filter to loosen the pipe, its quick release, the pipe is a bit ridged so removed the clamp further back that hold this pipe, return line and the brake lines. This gave it the flex to just pop off.

IMAG5454.jpg
old and new side by side.

IMAG5455.jpg
A few worn rips in the old filter. Yeah, made a good choice changing that.

You didn't mention releasing the fuel pressure before changing the fuel filter?
Did you get covered in fuel or something I'm missing?

Cat hadn't been run for over 24 hours, so the fuel pressure had dropped off, usually drops off in an hour or so, so it just trickled out. Surprising how much fuel is held in the filter though.
After an hour, tried to start the car, and it fired right up, good steady idle where I wanted it. The filter is just before the pressure regulator and the return pipe so I guess that released any air in the system. No leaks. I will go under there to check again before driving it.

Interesting. My 4th gen held pressure sufficient to give me a soaking even after a couple of weeks, I know... I found out the hard way and Clare's 3.8 v6 was similar too.
I'm wondering if yours is leaking pressure somewhere or we had two freaks?!

I have a Walbro pump, it can deliver more fuel per hour, its quoted at 255 l/h. I guess fuel could be leaking back though the pump as its design is for delivering more fuel. It may be a difference between that an stock, or its getting old. Seems to be giving 58PSI at the fuel rails on tick over, not seen my gauge when booting it, as its under the hood. I do plan to getting a electrical fuel pressure gauge rigged up to the tuning software so I can monitor it.

I found this on a forum...
The pressure drains away after a few minutes through the fuel return line which is perfectly normal. A fuel system which uses a returnless fuel system does hold pressure when the car is off
The fuel return line is just after the filter.

Last edited:
some birthday prescent this car having, cost of paper filter against k,n properly buy 10 for the price of 1 ?

some birthday prescent this car having, cost of paper filter against k,n properly buy 10 for the price of 1 ?
People have mixed views about k&n, saying if the oiling isn't right then the filtering is crap. I'm quite happy changing the paper one once a year, was under £7. The oil and filter will cost more, and I aim to do that every year now at least.

Back