Web server upgrade

Got someone to look at the speed issue around the server,

Ran a speed test this morning

Hosted by SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. (London) [2.52 km]: 11.401 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 1.82 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 1.18 Mbit/s

1.82mb/s is was lower than residential broadband which is around 16mb/s standard these days

Ran a few more tests, knowing the engineers are looking into the issue

Hosted by Burstfire Networks Ltd (London) [2.52 km]: 10.409 ms
Download: 494.59 Mbit/s
Upload: 264.50 Mbit/s

Hosted by Burstfire Networks Ltd (London) [2.52 km]: 10.799 ms
Download: 506.21 Mbit/s
Upload: 249.16 Mbit/s

ooof, we have some speed again now.

I wonder what the issue was.... routing through their network hubs to the outside world? I will post what the engineers reply back.

Hello Dan

I have checked and upgraded the network drivers to version 5.3.2 and internet speed looks fine to me

I have conducted a speed test after upgrading the network drivers and I got below results now

========
[root@server /]# speedtest-cli --simple
Ping: 10.736 ms
Download: 583.50 Mbit/s
Upload: 244.49 Mbit/s
=========

Please check now and let me know if you need any further assistance with this.

Regards,
Perry K
Support Department

We now have whizzy speed again. Hopefully that is the end of all the issues now. :)

Forum seems great. Nice and fast and we are both on with no crashing! :)

Well done Dan - thank you.

That's brilliant news, well happy now :) all the work was worth it.
Fingers crossed it stays like this, I won't touch a setting.

Mines OK as well, well done!

There was an odd occurance Friday night, early hours of Saturday morning. Woke up at 6am ish, checked my emails and one was from Darren, saying he couldn't get on the website a few moments before. I have an app on my phone that checks the status of the server. It showed that Apache (the part that serves web pages) had stopped running. I can press a button to start the Apache service again, all was working fine. I could see that Chris posted on Word Association at 3am, so it was working fine then, but not by 6am. Checked the logs the next day but no clue to why it stopped. Perhaps something to keep an eye on.

Just done another speed test.

We are smokin today...

Hosted by Vorboss Limited (London) [2.52 km]: 10.835 ms
Download: 721.98 Mbit/s
Upload: 280.84 Mbit/s

Last edited:
Many of the newsletters bounced back. Been working on this since earlier today. Basically the server has two IP adresses, one for the website, an the other is used for email amongst other things. Its all been working fine. However when an email is sent from the website, they all go out, but most anti spam email packaged do a reverse DNS to check the email came from where it says it came from. This is where the problem crept in, it got sent from one IP address but reported it came from the other.

This part is now sorted, while I was checking for point against spam filters using Newsletters spam test by mail-tester.com, you just send an email to the email address it gives. It tell you how things can be improved. It is very useful. This is the report at the moment Spam Test Result by mail-tester.com some domain keys need adjusting. This test email was as a receiver of the renegades news letter.

Some people may not have received the newsletter. I saw many bounce back. So this is the reason behind it.

I got it ok ;)

That's good to hear. :) I saw Dave's email address in the list of bounce back emails, there are thousands of entries, some are people signing up to the forum with invalid email accounts. However Dave's email attempt was from the 16'th.

The Ntlword email server would respond:-

452 4.1.0 Policy violation. Your host 5.77.63.85 has no valid Reverse DNS.
Please contact your ISP for further information. (in reply to MAIL FROM
command)

Which is correct, we should have reverse DNS set correct. This has since been adjusted.

Not many Newsletter bounce backs around 20ish. Most of them are to invalid Yahoo accounts. Which must have been valid when they signed up.

So in all not working too bad.

Web Service stopped again last night. This also happened 8 days ago. Its easy enough to restart that part of the server from the phone, but it could be a number of hours before I notice or someone emails me (thanks Clare)
I have tried looking though the logs, soo many to look though and still not giving me the reason.. It was fine after 2am when I used it. There is something quirky in the logs around 3:24am, so it may have fallen over by then. I have asked someone more higher up than me to look into this. As we will be getting more and more visitors on the website soon, would be great to have 24/7 uptime, there shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't be working. Its like the weekly backup is doing something, although the daily is fine, but wouldn't explain why 8 days apart, should be 7 if its something like that.

Hopefully i will know the answer soon.

The answer is vague. May need to dive into it myself.

Is anyone having trouble posting?

Just done 4 post's 5th post site crashed and went to some strange website with money idea's

humm shouldn't be taking you to any other website.

TEST POST!

Are you receiving me?

Darren - Iv'e noticed some adverts coming up within posts, this could be causing a problem.

Yes could quite possibly be an advert causing those symptoms. These can be disabled Darren, I must write that thread about the contributions tab.

As for the website stopping on early hours of Sunday 24th. I had this response by the engineer, but it would appear to just be a general one they send out.
I would request you to please follow the below precautionary steps in order to prevent such type of issue in future.

Please do the following steps periodically.

1) Upgrade your script to the latest stable version available.
2) Deactivate plug-ins, modules and components you don\'t use, don\'t absolutely need or don\'t want. Upgrade plugins, modules, and components that you do need. Outdated, or poorly written plugins, modules, and components are the most common reason for resource abuse issues as well as security issues.
3) Deactivate custom themes as some are much more CPU intensive and can introduce security issues. Due diligence should be exercised when choosing a theme.
4) Scan the copy of your site content using an antivirus on your account and then re-upload the fresh scanned copy of your site content in your account to get rid of viruses and malwares completely.
5) Remove scripts you may have installed for testing, but have chosen not to pursue further.
6) Please optimize your MySQL database and also check that your MySQL connections get properly closed after execution.
7) You can also decrease the Apache connection limit or you can set the CT_LIMIT in CSF. Please let us know if you want us to proceed.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

They also sent me a couple of logs from the time it fell over. We do have a lot of people trying to log into the web server. Password is about 20 characters long and a real P.I.T.A to type in, so the change of any one guessing it would be hard pushed. Also 5 attempts getting it wrong the IP address is permanently blocks, so they cannot try again. So we have pretty good security on the web server. I put the server on a load test last night. Regular internet connection usage doesn't seem to make it fall over. Perhaps its a DoS attack.

I think this is going to be something I monitor for some time. Could be an interesting challenge.

Website fell over again last night. So there is a pattern, something much be happening early hours of a Sunday morning. Website running at 2am. But looks like something tried running at 3:15am. I will check this, it's just an automated health check procedure where it gathers email to send me. There are some commands in there from the old server which looks a bit iffy. So will disable some automated weekly things before next Saturday to see if I have cured it.

Last edited: