Web server upgrade

Interesting post on the Apple forum.
We are both using iOS v9.2 and I don't use Safari but Opera Coast and I don't have the issue.
Clare is using Safari but has tried the Dolphin Browser too. I think we may need to load Opera Coast on her iPad and test again from there. It could be browser sepcific.

We'll give that a go tonight.

Yeah could be browser specific. At the moment I really don't know. Just trying to think of ideas to narrow it down.

I just had a funny quirk at work, we run bandwidth control here to save bandwidth for the remote desktops. I have limited the amount of 'connections' to 800 per user, I opened a couple of websites that call up a load of files and it tripped out, couldn't access any pages for about 10 seconds. I wonder if your internet provider has a limit specified in the hub. Renegades website may make more connections than other forums, however I wouldn't have thought it would be as high as some websites. So that may have nothing to do with it.

Do you have a windows laptop you take home?

Thanks for all your time looking this. It would be great to get to the bottom of it.

Our Virgin router is configured as modem only (bridge mode) and we have an Apple router doing the actual routing function.
I do have a windows laptop I take home, Windows 8.1 with both IE and Firefox. Firefox is set very high on security restrictions although it works for the SR forum except login details, passwords and cookie settings are not remembered (cookies are rejected).
IE is more open. I will have it at home tonight although I have just discovered I now need to login to a session with a Canadian supplier at 8pm. Bang goes my evening!!!

The chap from work is popping home to get his iPad. So I will set up a couple of user accounts we can test with.

iPad does appear sluggish, certainly not quick to change pages. I have seen a timeout occur on the eyepad too. Looking at logging too from another computer. when I clicked on a different web page it didn't register a page was requested. Humm.
Good in a way that something does appear odd when using an iPad here

Found something very interesting buy cannot put my finger on it yet.

In the office, I'm using an iPhone6, iPad, Desktop computer and an HTC phone, all accessing the website with different log on user names.

The desktop and iPhone always work, however the other two will fail to load the pages. if the iPhone6 isn't used for some time the iPad will start working.

I can't put my finger on what the issue is. I have been looking at HTTP request via the plesk log. I have also streamed data from the router to a logging program.

When the Android phone or iPad request a page and freezes/takes a long time to load a page that page request doesn't show in the Plesk log until the page is completely served.

I have disabled the firewall during tests, to no effect.

It would appear there is a limited amount of connections per IP address(ISP address) but I cannot find that limit. It may not be that, but I cannot explain why a page won't load. It usually loads when other devices are not in use.

So it's good in a way Dave that I have seen what you see. At least that I can create it here, I can keep looking into this deeper. Very odd indeed. Perhaps the iPhone is leaving connections open or something, stopping other mobile devices from working on that website.

It is server related rather than website. I have another website on the same server.

I load a Renegades page on a desktop, load a Renegades page on the iPad then
load a Renegades page on the HTC, but page didn't load, load another webpage on the same server, that wont load either. So its appearing that the webserver is restricting too many devices/connections to the webserver.

I think we are still a way off from a solution, but also closer than before. :)

Last edited:
Just tried 2 PC, 3 browsers on 1, and 1 on the other, loaded a few pages along with the HTC, all runs fine.

Now the quirky thing. Use the iPad, now the HTC wont connect, however the PC browsers still work fine. How weird and oddball is that?

Still working on this, there is 3 of us, two here and one a linux dedicated server engineer that's on the help desk for where the server lives.

Still puzzling, getting lots of logs together.

Yes, thanks Dan ;)

I seem to be encountering slow pages at work. And now at aunties house. However seems okay on 4G. The plot thickens. I think this is a different issue and an artifact of engineers testing.

Enabled something on the server, something called NGINX, it is a page delivery section of the website, it can run without it, but its an extra buffer. It has certainly sped up for me here. So all working good again.

I wonder if that will fix the other issue with iPad and phone at the same time. Will try again tomorrow at work. NGINX was something that was enabled at some point on the old server.

Still looking at things, we have two things going on at the moment.

While looking into the local WiFi / iPad issue, it seems now that other places around the world are getting some slow page load times. This was fine before, and nothing in that area has changed. This issue I believe is to do with DNS. So should settle itself in the next day or so.

Once that above is sorted. I will be getting out the TCP/IP protocol analyser, monitoring packets from the WiFi to router going to/from the website. There doesn't appear to be an issue at the server end, but why is it when you access the website on an iPad you can't view it on another mobile device for a period of time. There are lots of articles of iPad's doing something to the WiFi, the chap at work also had trouble with a internet when his iPad had access a website the MacBook or iPhone then has issues, very odd, and if soo many people are having WiFi issues with the iPad wouldn't Apple have looked into it. So I'm not totally sure where the problem is. But analysing the TCP/IP packets and timings I could track it down. Mind you analysing just 10 seconds of packets could take a while. The monitoring I've been doing so far are more at a request level, and port opening/closing. A packet capture would be the more thorough way.

I only use my PC, no fancy phones or pads and have noticed the forum to be slower than usual the last couple of days. In fact some pages failed to load yesterday.

I only use my PC, no fancy phones or pads and have noticed the forum to be slower than usual the last couple of days. In fact some pages failed to load yesterday.
Thanks for the feedback Chris.
Yes I've been having issues with pages too on the PC. Majority of the page will load but some parts wont fully. A page refresh helps. Hopefully all will be fine on that side of things by tomorrow.