Web server upgrade

Is there any indication to what item it is waiting for? Some browsers have something in the bottom left showing what page/resource it's trying to get. It may narrow it down :)

I remember it happening before on the old server but not for a while.
On safari on the devices it doesn't have that bar at the bottom :(. Just get a blue progress bar underneath the address bar.

It'll be like finding a needle in a haystack :)

Yep, would be like finding a needle in a haystack. I do have server logs of when pages are requested, I could search for your IP address in the log file, the trouble is soo many pages are requested, and it may not tell show me the problem if it is a CDN resource it is waiting for. Either way its something that needs to be fixed. You are the two main people that keep the forum active.

Today I've been working on many server related things.
Yesterday I noticed the backup is working(had to be swapped to new server) but the firewall became disabled during the server engineers configuring the backup.
So today I wanted to get the Firewall re-enabled, however it was uninstalled. So got this reinstalled, but then that stopped the backup from running. So edited the firewall settings to allow the port number of the backup through. retested the backup, and it backed up the whole website in about 15mins. So quite happy with that.
The Firewall also monitors applications running, if they take too much memory, or stay running for too long, kinda like an antivirus which checks for things that should't be running. Well due to the firewall now being re-enabled I'm getting thousands of emails of alerts, mainly virtual memory thresholds, I have edited the threshold level but still getting alerts, so currently fixing that side of things, perhaps it didn't accept my new values.

Thanks for all you're doing Dan :)

If there's anything we can do - just shout :)

Btw I have downloaded another browser to see if it was that - works ok when Daves not on but takes minutes to load a page when he's on still. Strange one!

Interestingly right now Dave is showing as being on and I'm working fine (but he's not actually doing anything on the forum). As soon as he does something is when it seems to make mine hang.

Thanks for all you're doing Dan :)
I enjoy doing it, keeps me on my toes. Also invested quite a bit in it this year, new server etc... now all we need is shed loads of visitors. We do get quite a few. i found finding information about events and popping it on here bring in people from search engines. So will certainly be doing more of that this year, writing articles about events with links to the organisers website plus links to photo galleries. People have already started searching for 'Wheels Day 2016'

Been fighting the battle with reporting emails from the server. I think I'm pretty mush on top of that now. Chosen which processes are allowed, so all looking better now.
Not to see if the back up works, schedule for about 2:30am, so will know in the morning if it completed. I should get an email for that.

Still need to work at getting Memcache(caching program to speed up the website as items stored in RAM instead of files) enabled, I'm a step closer, it works in the root of SSH, I could see the status, it is now available from PHP (shown in phpinfo) however the forum software cant seem to fine memcache. So will work on that one too.

Interestingly right now Dave is showing as being on and I'm working fine (but he's not actually doing anything on the forum). As soon as he does something is when it seems to make mine hang.

I think one thing I would like to try is to disable the CDN stuff, however this isn't in one place, many files to search though and edit, along with database entries. So could take a bit of time. I will let you know, and perhaps you two could go online to test once I give the nod. :)

I think one thing I would like to try is to disable the CDN stuff, however this isn't in one place, many files to search though and edit, along with database entries. So could take a bit of time. I will let you know, and perhaps you two could go online to test once I give the nod. :)

No probe Dan - just say when :)

Well you could try now. I've removed the bulk of CDN occurrences. just a few images left.

No probe Dan - just say when :)

Okay, all files to do with the website are being served by the web server. The content delivery network has been disabled on all images/javascript/css well all files. So see if that improves you speed. :)

No, if Dave is on doing things - I still can't get on :(

ah okay, well I guess that proves its nothing to do with the CDN stuff.

I will have to think about what else to try. I know you are quite high on privacy settings/cookies etc.. but I cant see that would effect it at all.

I'll test another browser tonight - really can't see how that would impact it but I'll switch from Opera to Safari and re-test.

Back on opera now. We used to get this all the time with the SR forum, and then it behaved itself again for ages until now...

Thanks for trying, very odd. Not sure what else I can try at this end. I can be on my mobile, multiple browsers at the same time while Sarah is on, or trying it in the works office on multiple computers sharing the same IP address on the ISP network.
I will try to think of something else to try. We know its not CDN, so perhaps it is a plugin on the website. I can disable all plug-ins for a bit to see if that helps.

Okay all plugins disabled, so the forum is running on its most basic functions.