Rumble at the rear

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Well last Sunday I was driving on the motorway, and under light load there was an odd noise coming from the rear. A bit like metal on metal,. it was also speed dependant. When coasting there is no noise at all.

Got the car in the air Tuesday evening. Checked the diff oil, there is oil present and couldn't see any metal in the oil. There is a big magnet on the dif, so I guess most metal particles will be on that. I suspect its a bolt on the ring gear that may be loose and rubbing on something, its that sort of sound. The pinion feels tight. It could also be wheels bearings.

So Saturday I will take off the diff plate and take a look inside. I have some new oil to pop in there from Opie Oils. :)

Ahh, the glass bolt as I have heard the 3rd/4th gen rears referred too. You are destined for a 12 bolt or an s60 at your power level, that 10 bolt will always be a weak point no matter what you do.

Rumble at the rear was indeed in the diff. There was a few fits of metal in there. Cleaned it out. Managed to get a few photos of the issue.

Picture of the right hand side of the diff, you can see the entertainer clip.
attachment.php

Retainer clip missing in this one.
attachment.php

It stops the clutches rotating.

The video on the Eaton page for the product I have show it dismantled later on in the video. http://http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/P...veAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_339923#tabs-3

Well I had to make the decision on driving it or pulling the diff. So what I'm going to do it drive it for a bit, then pull the diff out to service it. Got a show tomorrow, southsea cruise in the evening, and then out show on Oct 19th also with a cruise. So taking it easy it should be fine, well fingers crossed. Worse case it will just drive one rear wheel.

Not usual for the clips to pop out when things are chattering away in there, apparently a problem with Dyna diffs too. The way it currently is will act as an open diff, so spinning one wheel up if I loose traction, and no power to the other.
I gave Geoff at Hauser Racing a call, had a good chat about the differential. They said they recommend a TueTrac differential every time, less to go wrong, it locks up both wheels at the right time. There is a choice to move to a 12bolt rear end, this is serious strength prices at around £3k, so certainly worth considering if I go the supercharged route, which in the next year or two i cant see that happening.
Anyway, back to the TruTrac its £399.90+vat, the bearing kit is £90+vat. So in all i don't think that is bad at all. I'm gonna save my pennies and get that. :)

Last edited:
Well not only a diff and bearing to change, need a new gear set too. The pinion has seen better days, it now has some teeth missing.
[video=youtube_share;ZQi4HhP_uFk]http://youtu.be/ZQi4HhP_uFk[/video]

Last weekend I got the axle off the car. The anti roll bar studs just sheered off, but I have replacements. Made sure I used some penetration oil on all the other bits. Everything came off pretty well, well apart from the brake lines, I had some brake line spanners that would fit one end but not the other, some parts didn't want to break free. I will probably get more brake lines make up just so they are nice and new, a local company can go custom ones. Some parts are braided between the hard line on the axle and the calipers so I'm happy with them.

The pinion is on he kitchen floor at the mo, very bad condition, check photos in http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/g...you-done-your-vehicle-today-18.html#post43442

Anyway, spoke to Hauser racing, they are going to order in the parts and fit it to my axel if I take the axle to them. So my journey of taking the axle off began and out it came, http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/g...you-done-your-vehicle-today-21.html#post43943

I wanted to treat the axle with some paint as its an awful rusty colour, only surface rust. So Dave (American Thunder) came up with a couple of products to achive what I want, http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/g...you-done-your-vehicle-today-20.html#post43882

So all ordered, along with some wire brushes to attach to a drill. Get it nice and clean and treated with rust treatment before coating it in a black top coat.

Well I had an idea, standing up the axle on its end would enable me to pain all round it. So to do this inserted one of the halfshafts and bolted it to the wheel making an axle stand. lol. Also hung the roll bar on there too so it also could be painted.
45807d1425215399-what-have-you-done-your-vehicle-today-imag0999.jpg

After two coats it came out rather nice.
45804d1425215394-what-have-you-done-your-vehicle-today-imag1002.jpg

So now I'm ready for Hausser racing to do their bit. I was expecting a call last Wednesday (25th Feb), but it didn't happen, so called them Monday, they do have the parts in stock now. So I said okay lets book it in. He went away for a while and said the best he can offer is 25th March. humm, that is a long time to wait, they are quite busy building axles for drag racing cars. If I can get it all done for the weekend after, I can still be in time for Wheels day, providing I don't need any other parts.

Gave Hauser racing a call today to see if there was a chance that I could drop in the axle to them next week and they can do it when they have time in hope they can do it before the 25th March(which is is booked in for). It does mean two trips, however should get it back and on the car quicker :).
So my plan is to stick a car battery in the fiesta, run some wires to a 5V converter and then USB, so I can charge my phone in the Fiesta as it has no fag lighter. So Monday afternoon I'll whizz up to Wellingborough.

Yesterday I took a half day off work. Put the Trans-am axle in the fiesta, half shafts, c-clips, old diff(had ABS reluctor ring on it) and then set up my phone satnav(used Waze) as there is no fag lighter in the car, there is no easy way to get 12V unless I run wires from the fuse box or from behind the radio, anyway. I had a charges spare car battery, and run an inverter from that to keep the phone charged.
Left home at 1pm, and drive up to Hauser Racing, up the A3, M25, M1, A46 and got there at 4pm. Dropped off the axle, had a quick pee, then drive home again. Got in at 7.30pm. Wasn't a bad drive, went far quicker than expected.

They will give me a call once done. The say it may not be done this week, but should be ready by mid next week. :)

The Waze app is free, and its a sat nav, but the bonus is, other people who are also using the app appear on the map and if you spot an accident, or car obstructing the side of a road, or road blocked, you just press a couple of buttons on the screen and then when anyone else approaches that area it comes up on their map. Very good, its all real time. Very handy.

The car has 3 channel ABS, meaning there is a speed sensor on the center of the axle, there is a reluctor wheel on the outer edge of the diff, this was soo badly damaged it couldn't go on the new diff. So Hauser has been on the search for a replacement for over a week, they just can't get hold of one, I've had a search too with no luck.

So the issue is, can I run the car without this sensor?. This sensor is used by the ABS system. This started the discussion in this thread:-What have you done to your vehicle today?, removal of ABS is probably the way to go.

Ordering
a kit for the Trans-Am from this page :- SJM Manufacturing, Inc. (724) 478-5580

A new thread started on the deleting of ABS

Just phoned Hauser racing, the axle will be ready this afternoon. So I will be leaving work at 12.30ish. They said it should be ready by about 4, or 4.30pm. Yay, should get that bolted in at the weekend.
smile.png.pagespeed.ce.HpCntQets-.png

Friday 20th , took the afternoon off work, as had confirmation from Hauser that by the time I get there the Axle will be ready. So set up my Sat Nav, left home at 1pm .There was quite a bit of traffic on the M25 but nothing too major. The M1 was a lot worse Jct15 was a standstill so came off there went towards Milton Keynes and went across country for a bit, there was some very nice scenery up there the sun was shining it was a nice detour. Got to Hauser Racing about 4.40pm. So a fair old trek. Walked in and my Axel was on the floor ready to collect. Paid the bill, it was less than expected, just under £1100. Loaded it into the car.
attachment.php

Fitted in the little Fiesta quite well.

Started my journey home. It was near on 5pm. Started the journey home. Just where the M1 joins the M25 I started to hear a squeak from the back wheel of the Fiesta, it would come and go. Once I got passed Guildford it turned into a rumble.

Not far from home, there car started to wobble at the rear end. Pulled over to inspect, it felt like the wheel wasn't bolted on, or there was a string win to the side of the car. Did feel odd. The wheel bolts were tight, but the hub was very hot. Wanted to try and make it back to a minor road to get home, but first had to do a few more miles on the A3. Went to join the dual carriage way again, coming up to Petersfield. really feeling the wobble at the back end, looking in the rear view, looked like smoke too. Limped to the services which was only a few meters away, pulled over, and gave the wheel a wobble. It was loose but not the wheel bolts. Thinking the bearing was totally shot. Not safe to continue my journey. Called the RAC, they were quick to some out, yep bearing was just dust. Toved the car home, dropped off the axle, and then dropped the car off at the garage.

Poppped the axle in the kitchen.
attachment.php

All ready to put on the car in the morning.

Last edited:
Had breakfast and a warm drink ready to go outside and start on the car at 9am. Opened the garage put a bit of board on the floor. Now is the challenge, lifting the axle. Once I got it off the ground it wasn't too bad, waddled across the garden, don't know how much that weighed, but my arms were getting longer with every step.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Shuffled it along a bit and starting the assembly. Dug out my Poly mount kit. I know Darren like pictures so I have many :p
attachment.php

attachment.php

End links attached,
attachment.php

Anti roll bar mount fitted
attachment.php

I had a kit to help bleed the brakes on your own, with one way valves, certainly speeded up the process. Wheels on, and then to fit a battery and give it ago.

Started up well. drive around the block, testing brakes and listening for noises, dam does it feel great to be back in the car.

All done at last!!.

Back