Rear end for my TransAm

how annoying for you .. well, if it took 3 days to make the axle shafts then hopefully they are only 3 days behind the other parts. Fingers crossed.

19th April - Called Jawsgear after 5pm while I walked home from work. Its 9am there, a good time to get hold of them. Spoke to another guy other then Jeff. I remembered the order number off the top of my head where I have read it out so often now. He chatted to their despatch department which didn't give him the info we required. He was going to check deeper and call me back. But I didn't get the phone call, so I'll call them tommorow again. I was on the phone for over 8mins to America from a mobile.

I jacked the car up in the air when Igot in from work, drained the oil, and started to take the cover off. My mechanic turned up at a good time. We started to strip down the rear end.

This is a photo of the rear diff, all looks normal here...
19042011041b.jpg

All the bearing are in place. We give the axel a wobble from one end.
[video=youtube;AXZnYPTpNJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXZnYPTpNJY[/video]
Now the diff (large center bit) should not be moving at all.

So what is causing there? Well at first we thought it was inner bearings. It was them too. Look at this...
19042011042b.jpg

The diff is totally knackerd.

I have another differential to go in there and new bearings. Jiust waiting on new axels now.

Darren;bt42 said:
Wow, that is knackered, no wonder it was noisy.
yeah, I'm surprised it moved the car at all. Lucky it didn't jam up and blow a hole in the casing.

20th April - Its possible the problem could be getting worse. The eaton posi for my year of car takes gears from 3.23 & up. I have 3.08 gears these were ordered at the same time. I posted on the ls1tech forum. which replied
If the posi # is 19599-010,no it won't work. A 3.08 gearset will only work with a 2 series carrier. A 3.08 gearset has too large of a dimension from the pinion shaft centerline to ring gear surface that mounts to the carrier flange.
I looked through the order I have posi # 19559-010, slightly different part no, according to the Eaton datasheet this is for 1988-96 GM 10bolt 8.5", which the 19599-010 is for 1988-05 GM 10 bolt 7/5".
Looks like the diff isn't my only problem.

When ordering the axles I gave them the VIN number, they asked if I have 3 or 4 channel ABS. I said I do not know. They say it should be a 4 channel. well while I was under the car I found a speed sensor on the diff casing, not on the ends of the axles, which means I have 3 channel ABS.

Its getting to the point now, when I want to send back what ever comes(if) and get a 12bolt and done with it.

The plot thickens, if that is the right part number for the diff I received, its 8.5" not 7.5" that i need.

20th April - Called Jaws Gear at 5pm our time, spoke to another chap, said the axels havn't been shipped yet, and I would need to speak to Jeff about the other parts.
8pm out time. I called Jeff, the diff I have id the right one for the car, however the 3.08 gears will not fit. The axels on order will fit my car even if they were made for 4 channel ABS not 3 channel they are the same lengh. So I feel a little better about it all, its annoying the gears wont fit. Will have to think what to do next on that, my old gears will fit okay, and are in good condition (visually)

28th April - Still waiting for the parts, the gears may be here before the axles as they were sent UPS.
Anyway, got myself a little blow torch today. Needed to get the reluctor ring off the old differentional to fit to the new diff. Got it nice and hot, the blue flame was brilliant, almost set the bench alight. Got the ring on the new diff perfectly.

6th May - Just called JawsGear, got the tracking info for new gears, they are with UPS, http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/...umber1=1Z38XR676792645122&track.x=0&track.y=0 however the tracking is a tad confusing. Left Sacramento, went wroung the states, then to england, cleared customs, and its in New Jersey in the states. hummm, positively annoying if the tracking is true.
The axels are in the hands of USPS or Royalmail going to the old address.

7th May - One package should be here Monday now, at its in Castle Donnington at the mo. YAY.

9th May - Its Monday and parcel is still in Castle Donnington. I called UPS, in case it was stuck and they were trying to contact me about customs or something. UPS said its on a 4 day delivery and will arrive with me tommorow.

11th May - Attempted delivery yesterday by UPS. I have given them a call, and they will deliver to my workplace today. Splendid. :)

11th May - Gears have arrived. Made in Italy. Motive Performance Gears. I just tried a search for them, but looks like you cant buy direct from Italy anyway. That could have saved some shipping.

12th May - Installed new ring gear on the carrier last night. All tight and loctited in. i check the gear ratio, 43 teeth on the ring gear and 11 on the flow shapped thing. Giving a ratio of 3.90:1. They were 3.42. using a calculator my top speed in 2nd was be 72mph, it will now be 64mph. 4th will now be 114mph, it was 138. So not a huge different but the acceleration will be a tad quicker. Will need to recalibrate the speedo. I can do all that in the ECU.

Sadly couldn't make it to the cruise in the car. The rear end almost all went together okay. The pinion seal is leaking, but the diff bearings are a bit stiff, perhaps too many shims in there. I'm not tempted to take the whole axel off and work on it on the bench. Brakes need to come off, sensor for ABS, shocks, bars holding the axle to the body, there isn't much holding the axle on. Its a bugger sliding in and out of under the car, and its little room to work with.

17th May - I've just come out from under the car, well after getting cleaned up. When I put the diff on Suinday hoping to get it ready for Southsea, I had too many shims in there which madeit stiff for the wheels to move. Also oil just came stright out the pinion seal. So struggled to get the diff out with a multitude of leavers. Got it out in the end. Went to get up and moved it away from the car, stumbled over the jack, not wanting to drop the diff I landed on my elbow, then the diff rolled on the floor. Luckily no damage done to the diff, however my elbow has swelled up, lack of movement now and a nice bruse on my forearm. Anyway, soon got started on the pinion seal. Took it out, and it was a fair bit bigger than the replacement, which would explain why the oil was coming out as quick as I was putting it in. Changed the seal, the new one fits a whole lot tighter. Put the diff back in, and better selection of shims. The diff turns nice and smooth now and not stiff, tried the paint on the teeth to check the wipe pattern, all looks very nice. Torqued up the bearing shells. Inserted the axles, and put in the c-clip then the pin to secure them. The cover and gasket has been put on.
Now all thats left is to reattach the driveshaft, torque arm and put brake disks back on secure brakes and then wheels. Get rid of the jacks, Insert battery and start it up. Cant wait to hear it rumble again.

18th May - Put the brakes and wheels on and the driveshaft. Got it all back together, took the battery off charge. The battery charger said it was still charging at 2amps, so I think it needs a bit more. Put the battery in the car, and then loaded up the laptop, I reinstalled windows many months ago, and not used the software for a while. It appears my USB to serial device isn't working in this version of windows, which is a little annoying. Wanted to change my speedo to read correct due to new gear throwing it off by about 14%. So my speedo will read 34.2mph when doing 30mph at the mo. Will order a new USB to serial device to get this done. Anyway went to start the car, battery was almost totally dead, the car wont start. Jump started it and went for a little drive. Of course with lights on, it wont be charging much. Droped some tools off at the mechanics house i borrowed them from. The car drove great, no whining of gears, no odd noises. I drove slowly, not putting much load on the rear end just to bed it in. Went into the country lanes, and gave the car a few good revs, the battery indicator still sitting on 13v, its usually 14ish. Got the car home all okay.

19th May - Went to start the car up, battery dead again. Will give it a good charge on the battery charger. at some point. May just jump start the car later on and go for a drive, making sure not to turn it off or stall at a junction.

Back