Got a bit of valvetrain noise in the Trans-Am

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Today i notice the engine making extra clicking sounds while I was warming up the car defrosting the windows etc..

When i got to work i lifted the bonnet, the noise was still there. It comes and goes, it doesn't appear to be every time the cylinder fires. I tried listening around the engine. It seems to be loudest in the intake manifold. This is an empty space so would echo more. So I would assume the noise is coming from one of the heads.

I'm thinking its a bent pushrod, a hydrolic lifter not pumping up or a rocker not doing what it should or even a snaped spring.

I'll have to take off both valve covers to take a look, although I think I will go for the passenger side first as that's where I thought I first heard the sound.

Its been a while since I took a look under the valve covers. The heads and cam have done around 40 - 50k miles. I went for dual valve springs so they would recover faster at higher RPM's but they don't last as long.

Just took a quick video at lunch time.

[video=youtube;69rAS7I0P-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69rAS7I0P-c&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Bit hard to hear the actual noise though.

Last edited:
You just wanted to video your engine lol,,,
As you say sound it more on one side than the other could it be an air leak if it's that high hissing sound you mean? if it's bent push rod/springs wouldn't it be doing damage and be getting worse? noise sounded like it was the same though out video just a thought..

I'm gonna park the car up until i find out what it is, its firing on all 8, no noticeable loss of power, although I haven't gone over 30% throttle or over 2000rpm since I've heard the noise.
I drove it back from the Farmhouse on Saturday, it was driving fine, however once i got it into the drive, i got the usual scrape of the exhaust but there was another noise. This is the noise I can hear now.
This noise don't come out on the video. if only I could filter out the other noises. I will pop it in the garage and start taking it apart. Once i get power/light to the garage.

[video=youtube;LSOzH2m62aA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSOzH2m62aA[/video]
Chap in the states thought he had a lifter problem, similar noises, turned out to be exhaust leak.
My noise does sound very metalicy, like metal hitting metal.

You know Dan well ;) haha!
Wait until i have more shiny bits I will post a video of them :heh:

Shiny balls anyone?
4023667714_9c51b53559.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dan

Old school trick, try 'Listening' through a long handled screwdriver. watch out for moving bits though! Put the pointy end on various areas on the heads/covers with the handle end pressed to your ear. Or someone might have a proper stethascope for the job.

Hi Dan

Old school trick, try 'Listening' through a long handled screwdriver. watch out for moving bits though! Put the pointy end on various areas on the heads/covers with the handle end pressed to your ear. Or someone might have a proper stethascope for the job.

Thanks chris, good idea, I will try that. There are so many echos of noises under there its hard to pinpoint a sound.

Last edited:
Back