New T/A noise today.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
I joined the motorway at Rowlands castle and it ran really well, getting near my Waterlooville turn off it starting making a banking noise that I could feel through the seat and steering wheel.
Couldn't tell if it was the wheel or something banging on the front bumper. As I got to the slop road it was definately engine related. Nursed it aeound to a layby. Needed to get back for the dogs, if I called the RAC I@m sure it would be a 2 to 4 hour wait to get home. Or I could take a look myself.

Luckily no parts required, I have brought some thread locker and I'll probably relock all 8 per side as if one came loose others may do to.

Don't think RAC would of done that bet they would of recovered you?

When I got home, removed the push rods on one side and renewed the thread lock.
The cylinder with the loose rockers had a bent push rod.
IMG_20220813_155235.jpg

Ordered a new set from Summit Racing. Went for Brian Tooley 7.4"
Brian Tooley is the make of the cam I have. The stoker kit came with 7.4" push rods. Before the stroker kit I had 7.425" push rods. The heads were skimmed, and a different cam.

Took a look at the rockers and valve tops, but didn't post pics yesterday.
1660488414126.png

1660488380012.png

1660488707033.png

7.4" is what came out. I have 7.425" spares, these are 0.625mm longer, with rocker ratio of 1.7. This will be 1.06mm extra opening on the valve if the hydrualic lifters fully pump up. Therefore not revving this. During the engine build I put 3mm thick of blu-tac on the piston, and the valves never touched, so I have some margin there.

Thought I'd take the car out for a little test drive. Port Solent gatheirng was on today, so thought I'd pop along to that. Didn't take the car over 2k rpm until i get new push rods.
Derrick had a puncture on his 4th Gen camaro about half way to Port Solent, so before I left I loaded my trolly jack. The car has a scissor jack but would take a while to get it in the air. Trolly jack done it in a few pumps. whipped off the punctured wheel to replaced with his spare.
Then went onto port solent, a great turn out, very hot. Car ran great.

wonder if derek will post on here today to say thank you to the 4th emergency service LOL :p :p

Dosnt count lol not on forum DOH

Email from UPS wanting customs payment up front. Paid that £53 online.

Won't be long. Always nice to see new parts arrive.

Looking at some more parts too.

Valvel srpings are getting old. Aftermarket valve springs may only last 20-30k miles depending on lift, I do have large cam lift almost the limit to the springs, I have about 80k miles on my dual value sprngs, aparently they can go hard and britle. I'm wondering weather to slip some new valve springs in there. My cam lift is around .650 so within spec, http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9848 This kit comes with stem oil seals to. I'd prefer to not remove the heads if possible.

I have a spring tool remover coming. As springs are available fro my usualy place, I thinking of that air intake manifold again to unleash the 383ci a bit more, 78mm throttle body and 78mm inlest on the intake currently. Wouldn't it be nice to put on a 103mm throttle body and intake. Get some more of that air in there.

Na not a good idea spend the money on the camaro make the wife happy LOL 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Back