Garage Plans

Meeting at the bank yesterday fir funds for the garage. All good. I will have the reddies on the 1st June.
I can plan in more detail. Looking to get power, water pipe and Internet down there. So that can all go in the same 2ft deep trench. It will be under the lawn so not likely to be dug, but I like to be on the safer side of things, with warning tape in the trench too. When the builder came round there could be a waste pipe near where the edge of the garage would be, so that may need bridging across.

Okay thinking more of the power cable. I can get under the floor in the kitchen, drill a diagonal hole to bring a cable out the house deep down.
I will be taking photos and measuring how far it is from the wall fir good documentation for where the cable is.
Do I need to give a copy of the cable route to the council? If so, do I do it before or after doing it?

Well be playing with drawing it in 3D to get a better idea of space. Using a free program called SketchUp.

IMG_20190510_203845.jpg

IMG-20190510-WA0009.jpg

Room for 2 cars going to looking into roof structure and interior next. There will be a window in the side, not put it in yet due to pillars going in to support the beams.

Last edited:
Wont be long until this project gets started. Looking forward to it. Chatting to a chap this coming Monday evening, show him what I am after, then we can go from there. Same dude that done the drive way.

lol, it certainly does. I'll see what i can do.

I'm going to see where I want the pit. How far forward/back it needs to be so I can get in it with the car over the top.

I looked at these when doing my garage. Unfortuntely, due to a protected Oak in close proximety I could not dig!

Good point, its certainly worth a question to the council. Thanks. I didn't mention it on the original chat with them.

And you will need the electrics connected by an NICEIC electrician as that will need to be lodged at local authority as separate Building Regs (final electrical completion certificate) as you will need to provide both Building Regs Approval and final electrical completion certificate should you sell or remortgage :)

Yeah, I wont be connecting that up myself. Getting the same electrician in that replaced our fuse box and provided a certificate. Thanks for the info.

No probs - legal head was on for a while then ha ha ;)

Builder guy marked out the area with some paint. Ready to dig 4ft deep footings.
IMG_20191007_171448.jpg

With no center post in the garage the entire roof weight will be on the sides and you need to allow for 1 meter deep snow on the roof, I don't think that will happen until the next ice age. Atleast it will be sturdy and built like a house.

Pit has been ordered and paid for from https://www.mech-mate.co.uk/products
pit.png

Ordered the tool tray and jacking beam too and the exterior resin gel coat incase there is a high water table.

Delivery is 2 to 3 weeks. they will contact me soon with an expected date.

Digging has started.
IMG_20191008_155615.jpg

you will be re dooing the fencing by the drive then? you man cave will be worth it makes life so much easier

One side of fence panels will be redundant as it will be the front of the garage. so the gate will be closing on the garage, I may reverse the gate so it hinges on the garage, we shall see.

All going good so far.