Fibre Internet adverts

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
I probably mentioned it before, but there is an increasing amount of adverts for supeefast fibre Internet. One just came on from TalkTalk, personally I would avoid TalkTalk due to issues I has with them many years ago, my Internet kept cutting out after it rained. TalkTalk said its BTs problem, when I called BT they said its not to do with them as I pay TalkTalk. Anyway I'm going off topic there, fibre Internet.. Say you go for fibre Internet they just switch it on, possibly give you a new modem/router. I see Internet connections like chain links, it can only perform as well as the weakest link. Now the Internet company didn't change that old victorian twisted copper phone wire going to your house. How can companies say they have given you fibre Internet. At what point is it fibre? A couple of inches in the server room?
I do find the adverts misleading, surly fibre Internet should have fiber coming into your house.

There is a big difference between fibre internet and broadband over copper. At our last address we had fibre to the router from Virgin Media. No copper anywhere.
We currently have BT fibre broadband which is the same.
But, many just run internet over aged copper as you say.

I'm no expert but this basically confirms what I'd always believed - that fibre broadband can't genuinely be much faster if copper constitutes part of the chain between the ISP server and your PC (which it will in most cases). Just another example of the BS companies feed us to get our money!

I just checked our BT install. Fibre to the front door and then copper to the router.
Virgin Media however was fibre to the router.

I just checked our BT install. Fibre to the front door and then copper to the router.
Virgin Media however was fibre to the router.
Oh, OK. We're Virgin Media. That's good news then? Or I maybe it depends on the perticular setup in our area?

So if a company you buy fibre Internet from dosn't bring fibre to at least your front door is there some sort of 'trade description' being violated?

So if a company you buy fibre Internet from dosn't bring fibre to at least your front door is there some sort of 'trade description' being violated?
You'd think so, but I bet it's hidden in the contract small print!!

Virgin Media also over broadband over copper. Fibre is not in every area.
True, it takes time and money to run in new cables.. How can TalkTalk and other companies sell you the package as they are implying in the advert if fibre when they don't even change any cables. I'd like to see someone look into it for false advertising.
A friend in Cosham was sold BT superfast Fibre package yet still has his original phone line to the house that is over 30 years old, certainly not fibre unless they chemically changed the copper into glass.

Actually, I seem to recall there's a coax into my house, so mine definitely isn't!

you know, we moved out 7 months ago so checking is impossible but perhaps you are correct. Fibre to the front door then co-ax or copper to the router? I really don’t remember.

I wonder if internet companies are just selling fiber to the local cabinet. My point is, they adverts are misleading, they are implying you are getting fibre internet, for that to happen surely you need fibre to your house, it is untrue as some installations are a bit of old phone line. As Will says its probably in the fine print, but I tihnk this is worthy of some trade descriptions place digging into this.

Like 'hover boards' kids calling them hover boards as it said so on the box, yet they had wheels, therefore didn't hover, the trade description act should have intercetpets that shipment and sent it back to China!. LED TV's is another one, you can walk around Asda, they sell 'LED TVs' its gets me wound up every time I see one.The old ones CRT was the method the picture was created, LCD is the flat screen with flourestent tube backlight shining through the Liquid crystals creating the colour. Sop these were called LCD TV's., Now LED TV's they are selling is LCD TV with an LED back light, they should describe it as that, its isn't using LED's to cresate the picture, as it only has White LED's fitted, its going through the LCD filter just like the flourecent ones were. Again very misleading. At work we make LED video walls for sports arenas, the tightest LED pitch is 0.89mm, lets say thats 1mm pitch, so a 4K TV version of this is 4meters wide. You will never get an LED TV in your house and veiwable to view it at the correct distance.

Am I turning into Victor Meldrew, or is the world a very misleading place and people just buy into it beleiveing things are true.

Back