EFI fuel tank

renchero

just ordered a new fuel tank for the Ranchero when it arrives i will be modding it to fit the EFI pump. i am looking for advice on fitting baffles to this tank.by that i mean the design of, not the fixing of.

i am just baffled :eyebrows::becky::becky:

just ordered a new fuel tank for the Ranchero when it arrives i will be modding it to fit the EFI pump. i am looking for advice on fitting baffles to this tank.by that i mean the design of, not the fixing of.

Fuel tanks used for racing frequently use foam instead of baffles these days.
Might that be easier to implement?

good thinking AT. would having a tank made been easier than ordering a direct replacement as to put baffles in you got to cut tank open??? just a thought rancheo

I’m guessing you are having issues with fuel being pulled away from the electric pump?
This is why many EFI systems retro fitted to older cars retain the mechanical pump to fill a swirl pot and the high pressure system runs off that. I seem to recall you didn’t like that idea for some reason?

my modifications are inspired by what OEM do as they have the funds to get it right. my tank is a "bit fragile", the tin worm has been feasting on it. i will need to cut open the new tank to fit the pump so will do baffles at the same time. foam will need some form of restraint to keep it away from the fuel .gauge sender unit. in the old tank i fitted the pump at the front of the tank, its better at the back but my tank is shallower that end. the new one is the same depth all over and slightly bigger
so hopefully when i get this done/ get this right i won;t have to drive around with 3/4 of a tank of fuel i can not use. then maybe do something about going to a show in Sweden i dream about before it's too late

Modern tanks are usually located forward of the rear axle and are deeper so suffer less from fuel being pulled away. That said, if your only issue is tin worm then why not repeat it?
I would love to do Vesteras too.

moving the tank, too much work. aftermarket EFI tanks have pump at rear. i can not buy one ready made so will build mine based on similar one that can be bought

Any updates on the tank? You mentioned you ordered a new tank, has it arrived and have you modded it for the EFI pump?

i have got the new tank and all the other stuff to do the job. however i have not started the job yet.. plan to do it after the end of season show.
will be able to get 4 more gallons in the new one

new tank now fitted and plumbed in now waiting for some new exhaust parts as i need to reroute the pipes to get them away from under the tank. also going to fit rear silencers, its ether too noisy or i am too old.

Good luck any pics

you like the metal feb work

IMG_20200131_191632.jpgdid'nt like the exhaust under the fuel tank so moved it to the side and added a silancer it got rid of the droning

IMG_20200317_103214.jpg
Brake booster bracket I made a couple of years ago strong but it's not tidy so I made this oneIMG_20200317_103211.jpg
Didn't take picture till after I fixed it to the booster

is that a home made hub puller with the brake drum?

no at the other end of the pole is a led light i did however recently make a brake drum puller

Back