Double Din conversion

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
I've been contemplating a double din conversion for the Vette.
The standard US stereo on f and y body's is 1.5 din and fitting a double din is a challenge.
I have found a company in the US who will supply a modified centre console / stereo bezel but they charge $250 for it. I'm sure the quality of the finished product is worth it but by the time you add shipping, import costs and VAT plus you still need the stereo and wiring loom etc it really mounts up.
On the plus side they look good when done, kind of like the C6 dash and would stream music from my iPhone and double as a Nav unit too.

But does anybody know if someone in the UK could modify my existing centre console for cheaper?

Edit: That shouls be $450

Last edited:
I've been thinking about something similar, although landed on the idea, that if the stereo is standard it wont get knicked. Although having a head unit with bluetooth would be very handy at times, especially with SatNav. I dont know of anyone though in this country. Can your iPhone stream music then? I know it has some quirks with Blutooth that you cant even send images between iPhones over Blutooth, hate for you to do all these mods to your car then find the phone cant do it.

If I hear anything about the double din conversion I'll post here. Its got me the itch to search again.

Double din conversion on the T/A is easy and cheap. I even had the bezel and wiring ready to go before I sold the T/A and bought the Vette. I sold them last year however. Here you go Firebird Double Din Radio Bezels - Double D Mods
The same company above does the Vette conversions but the cost is much more as the bezel isn't just a replacement item, its much bigger and more involved.

The iphone does support bluetooth streaming, I use it now with a Motorola T505. But the stereo I have in mind is the Pioneer AppRadio 3 which uses apps on the device and displays them on the screen. Works with either IOS or Android.

You should have no problems with the iPhone over Bluetooth with the right head unit. With my Kenwood I can stream my music no problems, as well as make calls direct from the head unit. Quite handy, though I really need to get an external mic as the sound quality would be better, especially on the motorway.

I'm looking to upgrade it to a double din, probably get something with CarPlay technology, which is basically like having iOS in the head unit allowing you to use the phone, music, maps, messages, and more. I know Alpine make one at the moment, but more companies are sure to follow.

I'm looking to upgrade it to a double din, probably get something with CarPlay technology, which is basically like having iOS in the head unit allowing you to use the phone, music, maps, messages, and more. I know Alpine make one at the moment, but more companies are sure to follow.

Exactly what the app radio does. Already in its 3rd generation!

Go for it, if you're certain you are keeping the car, then I think its a worth while mod.

Yeah I'm fairly sure I will, BUT, if I do it won't be until Sept and est delivery on a double din console is two months minimum so it will a Christmas break project!

I've been thinking about something similar, although landed on the idea, that if the stereo is standard it wont get knicked. Although having a head unit with bluetooth would be very handy at times, especially with SatNav. I dont know of anyone though in this country. Can your iPhone stream music then? I know it has some quirks with Blutooth that you cant even send images between iPhones over Blutooth, hate for you to do all these mods to your car then find the phone cant do it.

If I hear anything about the double din conversion I'll post here. Its got me the itch to search again.

Dan had you thought of going down this route to play mp3s? MONSOON TRANS AM FM CD STEREO RADIO 95 02 MP3 INPUT PONTIAC FIREBIRD 09370202 | eBay
I got one for the Camaro last year (differnt seller, and model) factory standard but can play music from my iphone or any other device. Can give you a demo if you want next Sunday at the cruise.

Dave

Back