What have you done to your vehicle today?

Still think you might a valve train geometry issue, and a push rod length checking tool would be cheap insurance.
Then again if you are only looking to band-aid it until your grand master plan....,

Battery was a tad flat, so took it off to charge over night, put it on this morning and fired right up, although wouldn't idle, it kept to try to idle at 600rpm or below when cold. So had to keep tickling the throttle to stay around 1000prm until warm, only a couple of mind, then I took this video.
[video=youtube;qd4NiL468YQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd4NiL468YQ[/video]
Running quite sweet if I must say so myself, considering running on 7, its very smooth.
Had ice on both sides of my windscreen. The exhaust was generating a nice fog out of the driveway and across the footpath.

Drove to work today as we have an American visitor, so wanted him to feel like he was back home. :p

New Rockers have arrived :)

IMAG3626.jpg

Yipppeee bring on the 8 lol feel like a different car once fitted

New rockers are on. Gone back to original ECU program. Runs sweet, took it for a local drive. Ticking noise got worse at one point. Oil pressure all over the place. All pushrods same length. Either the lifters are not pumping up, or oil pressure is the real issue. Gonna order new pump, probably lifters too to be sure, may as well change Cam too if heads off and oil pump off. Get one with bigger bumps.

The fact that all the pushrods are the same length is not the possible issue.
Once you move away from factory settings, like heads, cam, lifters & rockers the potential for things too change means they need to checked. Pushrod length is one of those items. For the cost of a pushrod length checking device it's simply risk aversion.
However, if you suspect that you have wiped out a cam lobe or lifter you have have had debris in the oil system risking the big end journals too. Any glittery stuff in the oil?

The fact that all the pushrods are the same length is not the possible issue.
Once you move away from factory settings, like heads, cam, lifters & rockers the potential for things too change means they need to checked. Pushrod length is one of those items. For the cost of a pushrod length checking device it's simply risk aversion.
However, if you suspect that you have wiped out a cam lobe or lifter you have have had debris in the oil system risking the big end journals too. Any glittery stuff in the oil?
Checked with a length checker I borrowed from a garage down the road. Oil looked clean when I changed it, i was purposely looking for an metal flakes too. Even opened up the oil filter, no metal. The ticking noise is probably a lazy lifter as it looks like I need a longer pushrod for that one. However I am concerned with the oil pressure, when the needle bounces that's when the deeper noises start.
May be time to check the oil again and see if anything has made it down there, and make a note of the colour. I know cam bearings are copper, are main bearings silvery?

Last edited:
Started it up,and let it run for a while. My mechanic friend came round to take a look at it. When oil is cold, or revving over 2000rpm the oil pressure is good, once warm it bounces. He believes is is the bearing on the crank creating the noise and loosing the pressure.
So will be engine out job. Bearings aren't too costly, have to get the crank reground. The option I quite like is a 383ci, Lingenfelter LS1, LS6 383 CID Short Block Engine Assembly: Lingenfelter Performance Engineerin

Small Block Chevy V8 420H
you can get a complete engine for that sort of money. buy the time you have imported from usa.

Last edited:
Wasn't going to drive it again until engine out.Well I drove it to work today, last time ever at this workplace as we are moving early next year to a smaller office. Its a short journey, engine temp gets 1/4 of the way as got here early enough before traffic. So good oil pressure all the way, and the only engine noise that could be heard went parked up is something resembling an exhaust leak. The other more major noise occurs when its hotter.
Got a quick sentimental photo to remember this place.
IMAG3669.jpg

where you moving too then ?? work from home in your lov shack lol,

where you moving too then ?? work from home in your lov shack lol,
Yes it may come to that, the other chap I work with would have work in the shed too, more than enough room. Mind you less room with a stripped down V8 in there. lol.

The office is down sizing, We used to have 20+ people working here, now its 6. Manufacturing has moved to Ireland. So we really only need office space, the next office is about 150 meters up the road. So slightly further, so more fuel. Currently use 52 litres of fuel for the YEAR to get to and from work in the Kia.

Changed antifreeze and brake fluid in the mustang.but it might be going onto greener pastures now lol

There's only one car the mustang would make way for.!!! And I could live with the power loss for the looks of the car but I would miss the super charger of the mustang which in all honestly makes the car unfortunately I can't make it to the super charged version of maybe the new one .

Back