What have you done to your vehicle today?

Well maybe to sum it was the dvla web site with a load of others for £250 including the £80 transfer fee. Took me ages to come up with a combination that I liked mind you it pays to play about if I had gone with MY05 USA that was £499 inc etc. it's worth a look and play

Fitted new battery on saturday hoping it'll fix my idling issue - nope!
Ordered yet another TPS as we think last new one still duff!

ordered Sat - arrived this morning - woohoo!

Fingers crossed it solves it now :)

Well maybe to sum it was the dvla web site with a load of others for £250 including the £80 transfer fee. Took me ages to come up with a combination that I liked mind you it pays to play about if I had gone with MY05 USA that was £499 inc etc. it's worth a look and play

I think MY09SRT would look good on the Challenger ............................. :usa2: :first:

Doh you beat me too it. I found it too:- Buy No

Fitted new battery on saturday hoping it'll fix my idling issue - nope!

This does sound a bit odd, so to explain.
80's cars were the infancy of bringing computer controls and cars together.
Many sensors were unreliable and failed frequently and of course as they moved from ODBI to ODBII they didn't develop things to be more reliable.
The computer in the Fiero and probably other GM cars of the era, are notoriously unstable if they don't get a constant 12v supply. Added to the fact that many electronic components are TTL based which means they rely on a 5v signal generated by the PCM, so if the PCM isn't seeing a steady and clean 12v supply it likely doesn't generate a reliable 5v signal either.
Despite the fact I know the alternator is charging, the battery was getting weaker and weaker, to the point where it was dying frequently, and at 7 years old it was due(ish). I was hoping that a new battery would solve the idling issue as we know it is caused by a sensor behaving erratically and not a vacuum leak. Unfortunately this was not the case. As I am convinced that the TPS I have already replaced is still faulty we are replacing it agian.

Stop encouraging her to spend!!! Have you any idea how much we have spent in the last few weeks?!!! :faint:
But a number plate is for life, not just for Christmas. Its an investment. :p Get it soon before someone else does.

Stop encouraging her to spend!!! Have you any idea how much we have spent in the last few weeks?!!!

Dosn't need any encouragement she's a women sorry lady lol,

This does sound a bit odd, so to explain.
80's cars were the infancy of bringing computer controls and cars together.
Many sensors were unreliable and failed frequently and of course as they moved from ODBI to ODBII they didn't develop things to be more reliable.
The computer in the Fiero and probably other GM cars of the era, are notoriously unstable if they don't get a constant 12v supply. Added to the fact that many electronic components are TTL based which means they rely on a 5v signal generated by the PCM, so if the PCM isn't seeing a steady and clean 12v supply it likely doesn't generate a reliable 5v signal either.
Despite the fact I know the alternator is charging, the battery was getting weaker and weaker, to the point where it was dying frequently, and at 7 years old it was due(ish). I was hoping that a new battery would solve the idling issue as we know it is caused by a sensor behaving erratically and not a vacuum leak. Unfortunately this was not the case. As I am convinced that the TPS I have already replaced is still faulty we are replacing it agian.

Unfortunately it didn't fix it so just ordered a few more parts :(

Unfortunately it didn't fix it so just ordered a few more parts :(

Yup, getting tired of it now so going to replace the intake air temp sensor, the PCM coolant temp sensor and MAP (remember no MAF).
Might seem extreme to replace so much but this way we combine shipping. I also have one other possibility, but want to search eBay UK for that one...

Is there a screw which is the stop position for the throttle close? If the ECU doesn't see less than a certain low percentage on the TPS it will think your driving and not idle. Its probably something you have already looked at, just throwing it out there.

Loads of usa reg numbers on the dvla site for £250 all in how about AT09 USA etc

Take it you have checked for the 5volts transistor logic nice old school well 80's old school

Is there a screw which is the stop position for the throttle close? If the ECU doesn't see less than a certain low percentage on the TPS it will think your driving and not idle. Its probably something you have already looked at, just throwing it out there.

Yes, but this would affect it all the time. A PCM reset solves the issue temporarily, until one or other sensor fills the block learning tables with false values.

Take it you have checked for the 5volts transistor logic nice old school well 80's old school

Yes, but that doesn't mean its there all the time. If a component is using 5v as a reference signal and that 5v is intermittent it would be hard to find. For example, its there at idle in park but disappears when driving or when you hit a bump or a particular condition is met.
I wouldn't mind if it was setting codes, but its not.
Some research i did last night has me wondering about the VSS now too!!

Just thinking more about this, I have measured the voltages both with the thrrotle blade closed and full open and watched the change as the throttle is opened as well. All are within tolerances.

Back