Trans-Am MOT 25th April 2012

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Well I put the car in for the MOT on the 25th. It passed, but has a couple of advisories.
I need to get a new rear axle seal, and track rod end.
I have the box for the seal in the garage, or so I thought. Its not the 4th of May, and i cant find the original part number. I got the bearing and seal from pro-parts last time. It was the same that was on a Chrysler.
Well I popped into Proparts today with a list of alternative part numbers that i looked up on the www.Rockauto.com website. I do like their website, east to find the part you require. I want the parts soonish. Its only about ?30 in parts, but with something like ?60 shipping from RockAuto I wanted to try and source the parts in England. I know Bauer Millet can get them, but they are not the cheapest.
So I done a search for American Car Parts in google. I came across a name I recognise US Automotive, so I browsed their website. Its very easy to find your part, just like Rockauto. I haven't been on their website for many years. I didn't know it was as good as that. Parts are a good price, postage was ?8.95 next day. They have the parts in stock. I would thoroughly recommend trying US Automotive if you are looking for a part.
Ordered today. Not sure if they will arrive tommorow (Saturday) as some next day services exclude Saturdays.

Got an email saying the parts will arrive Tuesday, as the next day delivey dosn't include satuday, and as its bank holiday on Monday, then its coming Tuesday.

As the seal is leaking differential oil, I don't want to drive it too much if the oil is low and risk damaging the new diff. I manage to reverse the rear part of the car into the garage for a bit of cover. Due to the car being low, I put a wooden block under the wheel giving me enough clearance for the jack. I quickly jacked up the car and checked the oil. The level should be up to the fill hole, just over half way up the diff. Squeezed in about 200ml of oil and then it started running out the fill hole. So I guess I haven't lost that much oil. Certainly okay to drive until the new seal arrives on Tuesday.

Just got back from Gatwick. Gave the car some beans when joining the M25, on decelleration after that I get a rumble from the diff. I think the pinion has come out of alignment. When I parked ip at Gatwick I was dripping diff oil, possibly from the pinion seal. Now I'm safely home if I'm coming to a stop the back wheels almost jam at less that 1mph. I have mum with me at the moment as needed to get her out for the day. I have let my mechanic know, see if he can give me a hand. I will get the car up in the air and he can tell me his opinion on the pinion.

Got the car up in the air yesterday. The pinion was loose. Changed the pinion seal. Done up the nut, checked the feel of the bearings. Felt good, so whipped of the nut, decreased the threads and put on some permanent thread lock by loctite. This stuff apparently dosnt come free until you heat it up to 200+ degrees. Done the nut up tight. Got about 1 litre of diff oil in there as it was all it would take. Usually about 2 litres if no oil in there. Drove the car around the block. So it was ready for the Hayling car show.

Took the car to Hayling today. The car ran well, it was awesome to drive the car. Hadn't done so for almost a week. It makes you apreciate the car more when you don't drive it everyday.
Had a bit of troubles on the humps when leaving, the exhaust got caught, and the back box has come away from the system. Does sound pretty good. Will fix this next time I'm under there, won't take long.

Back