Something Smokin and its not tyres

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Well i just came back from Cosham after picking my mum up to take her home. Giving the car some beans when joining the motorway, and motorway was clear so I kept the beans on. Anyway I nothing something odd around my centre console, like my eyes were going blury. I looked down and there was smoke, as soon as I realised I slowed down a bit. I tried smelling it, and it was almost odourless. I dind't want to stop as if its burning oil, it would go whoosh if i stop, so i carried on going at 60mph ish. looking around, but the smoke just went as quick as it came.
I know my clutch slips, but it didn't have a clutch smell I think i need to investigate this more.

Could it have been steam Dan? A weeping heater matrix maybe? Have a check for any dampness in the carpet.

Thanks Will I'll have a check for that. I was sitting in traffic for a bit, then hoofing it down the motorway a couple of minuets later. There was quite a bit, had a slight oil smell to it, but i guess water on the exhaust or down the back of the block may give that sort of smell. Water would explain the lack of strong odour.

the smoke still comes come the car occasionally. Certainly quite a bit on Sunday. I would say its the clutch, it dosn't smell of clutch material, so I'd say its the flywheel instead.
Anyway, my new clutch is here today, With Ceramic pads on the 6 spoked disk thingy and a new shiny aluminium flywheel with interchangeable steel inserts weighing 12.5kg, instead of 38kg for standard. Just need to find time to slip it in there. :tea:

erm the smoke might be very hot clutch components asking for a rest, also check for any thing on the bell housing that shouldn't be there eg, drops of oil brake / clutch fluid etc. once you've got the gearbox off the block check the crank case oil seal and the primary drive oil seal. and if there's any core plugs at the back of the block make sure there not rusting.

ive had a couple of older fords do the same thing, heavy acceleration followed by a car full of smoke. in my cases it was down to crank case compression caused by knackered compression rings. its a long shot but might be worth a test with a meter

I'll take a look when I take the bell housing off. It is burning a bit of oil, well I have to keep topping it up anyway. The clutch is slipping but the smoke doesn't smell of oil, when you get the smoke right in the light, its almost a metal flake effect. Probably not good to breathe it in. Well now i got the new clutch i will find a day to take it apart. I'll take a look at everything I can once the flywheel if off.
I do have a spare rear main seal, but I guess it means taking the engine out to do that. the plan is to take it out next year anyway to install a stroker kit, its currently; a 346ci, i think a 389ci (6.4litre) will be nice. If I need to change the rings, I've gotta open it all up, so its a good time to freshen it all up, well that's my thought :), My aim is to get over 500hp, I just fell short at the last time dyno.

Day off work tomorrow. Going to fit the clutch at a workshop in Havant. Fingers crossed all goes well.
Hopefully it wont turn out like last time, with the car in bits only to find out the new clutch was too small, had to leave the car on the ramp for a week and wait for one to be shipped from the states. The original replacement was ordered in the UK, couldn't get my money back as I had it for over a year waiting for my clutch to finally go.
This replacement has been supplied by Alders Automotive which Paul trusts, so all should go perfectly.

Well I took the day off work yesterday to get the clutch done, left home at 8am to pick up my mechanic to then go to Havant to borrow some workshop space to get this done.

IMAG0004.jpg
Bell housing off.

IMAG0008.jpg
Then all off and placed on the floor, the clutch disk looks okay, there are some burn marks but no worn grooves. Looks like plenty of life left in it.

IMAG0009.jpg

Last edited:
IMAG0010.jpg
Nice new shiny one to go in
IMAG0011.jpg
Why do they paint them so nicely when you not going to see it? The clutch disk isn't round either like the old one its, like a start shape with ceramic pads on it.

IMAG0014.jpg
Clutch installed into the bell housing.

IMAG0017.jpg
Me installing the new master cylinder. This is a pain to get to, legs over the seat almost touching the rear screen as you slide on the leather to the foot well, its a bugger to get back up, and all the blood rushes to your head. Didn't feel too well doing that. Tools digging in the back of your head, a few tools were needed to do it, and in a tight space your arms are just too long, I needed an arm like Jeremy Beedle to do this job.

I ordered the master cylinder some time ago just in case it went. Looked at the date I ordered it, its was 2006. lol.I seem to have many spares for 'just incase'. :) It was difficult to install, but the hydraulics are great, fluid already in there and in the slave cylinder, just plug the two together and pump the pedal a couple of times and it all works. Very pleased with that.

Well all done now, all working well, we tried it up the road, we hear something fall off on the road, and there was a lot of noise, the torque arm had some off, and was banging under the car and it was rubbing on the drive shaft, made the most awful noise. Had to keep going as had to be in Waterloiobille by 5pm, and its was already 4.50pm. we made it, and then went to mechanics house to jack up the car and secure the torque arm, luckily he has a bolt that would fit, I muse have forgot to do this one up. All super dooper now. Its hard to drive with the new clutch, its feels soo light. The old master cylinder must have been duff, which is why the old clutch still has some life in it. Well at least i have a spare now. :)

Last edited:
your old clutch plate and cage look a bit cooked... absolutely cremated. methinks you found the source of the phantom smoke

Back