Size of a Trans-am compared to other cars.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Not really noticed this before. When people talk to me about the car, they say is massive, where do you park it. I say it fits in a regular parking space, although not a lot of room to open the doors.

This below photo isn't photoshoped, its a genuine photo off my phone. My car looks like its the smallest one at this show, even compared to the Fiesta, how weird is that.
attachment.php

i think the massive front and rear overhangs contributes to the look. Its the one area where I thought my 4th gen looked dated compared to the current trend of pushing the wheels to the corners, and its the length I think people refer too.
I will say though, that my Vette gives me a 'lot' more room in the garage, but then its at least 2 ft shorter.
The other modern trend though is the short window, high waist line look (think new Camaro, Mustang Challenger). I understand that safety cell design combined with a low and sleek look generates this but I think many modern muscle cars look bigger than the 4th gen Firebird & Camaro for that reason.

Your Trans Am was certainly the lowest car there in terms of height. Width-wise it's a bit of an optical illusion I think, perhaps due to the way the rear of the Trans Am curves inwards.

The 4th gen Trans Am and Camaro were certainly long cars by European standards though. They're pretty much exactly 4.9 metres long if I remeber rightly. That makes them about the same length as a current BMW 5-series (and longer than the contemporary E39 5-series). My Bonneville is 5.1 metres long, so they're not far off the length of that either, and the Bonneville was considered full-size in its time.

Back