Security for Garage

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
We started talking about cameras/alarms in the 'Garage Plans' thread. So thought I'd create a separate thread for that.

Will had the idea of an Alarm, with use of the mobile network it can alert you by text for £40, which minimal costs on the mobile network.

Dave mentioned Ring, I have seen these on telly and looks impressive. they do have the complete system, cameras that alert you of activity, you can even talk from your phone through your camera. The recording is done to the cloud at @ £8 per month. This is certainly a viable option. Cameras range from £89 to £200 for indoor/outdoor wired cameras.

I also have a friend that I often see his cameras on his phone monitoring his house as the cat causes an alarm to be sent. He uses Foscam, this can also record to the cloud, or a NAS drive or one of their local media gismos that can support 8 or 9 cameras. They also offer a cloud service, you can store 8 hours of video for free, 8 hours is quite a bit when its only triggered by motion. You can store 3 days of footage for £2.99 per camera. The camera price for HD range from £50 for indoor, and start from £80 for outdoor.

I'm thinking of two indoor for the garage and 2 outdoor. I may even pop on on the shed and some on the house. I'll draw a plan and map out camera/coverage areas.

I've ordered an indoor Foscam camera, a £50 one. It will be arriving today. I want to see what the interface is like for viewing it, and storage. If its not what I'm after I'll have a look at the 'Ring' route.

Should add that the Ring subscription of £8 is for up to 8 devices with unlimited storage up to 30 days old. Any ‘interesting’ video clips you can download to save on personal storage.

And do you need to protect the interior of the garage? Whilst theft of the car would be upsetting it’s insured. Tools similarly.
I have positioned cameras to cover the house. This is where the irreplaceable stuff is, pets photos etc and would certainly be the most distressing.
By careful positioning I have also covered the garage door and driveway and mostly each camera covers a camera so attempts to disable are also recorded. It’s not 100% but I have made an effort

And do you need to protect the interior of the garage? Whilst theft of the car would be upsetting it’s insured. Tools similarly.
I have positioned cameras to cover the house. This is where the irreplaceable stuff is, pets photos etc and would certainly be the most distressing.
By careful positioning I have also covered the garage door and driveway and mostly each camera covers a camera so attempts to disable are also recorded. It’s not 100% but I have made an effort
You are right, don't need to protect the inside as much, but an extra chance to catch a photo of the person who gained entry.

Also to give the burglars a print out of what their face looked like before it was modified.

???

o_Oo_O?

As I was saying to Dan last week, the trouble with a lot of camera recording systems is that they record continuously, using up memory (or disc space on a DVR). A place where I worked years ago had a software based system that monitored each camera feed and only recorded any movement. And any constantly moving areas within each camera's view could be de-selected (such as trees in the wind) to stop it recording nothing happening. It conserved recording memory but the biggest advantage was, if there had been any events and you didn't know when they occurred, it certainly saved time looking through hours of footage to find the interesting bit.
I just thought it was a clever system.
As I say, recording cameras are great, but for me, something which instantly makes a noise and scares the idiots off before they damage or take anything would have to be part of my protection system. And the cameras could help you ID them later for PC Plod.

1 terra byte hard drive over writes every 8wks so not a problem if something has happen you can watch it play back save it to another device. If some something has happen after 8k wks to late police proberly won't be interest just give you a crime no. And say why didn't you report it sooner. Lots of choice out there now.

As I was saying to Dan last week, the trouble with a lot of camera recording systems is that they record continuously, using up memory (or disc space on a DVR). A place where I worked years ago had a software based system that monitored each camera feed and only recorded any movement. And any constantly moving areas within each camera's view could be de-selected (such as trees in the wind) to stop it recording nothing happening. It conserved recording memory but the biggest advantage was, if there had been any events and you didn't know when they occurred, it certainly saved time looking through hours of footage to find the interesting bit.
I just thought it was a clever system.
As I say, recording cameras are great, but for me, something which instantly makes a noise and scares the idiots off before they damage or take anything would have to be part of my protection system. And the cameras could help you ID them later for PC Plod.
This is exactly what the ring does. Only records when there is movement and you can set zones :)

Both Ring and Foscam (and possibly others) offer that feature.

You can trigger on movement, and also trigger on sound, you can pick a zone/window to ignore. Also it has a mode where it can ignore animals 'human detection'

I got one of their indoor cameras and tried it out. It does have an SD card slot to offer that as a solution, you can view the SD card contents on your phone. you can record to the cloud and also one of the recorder boxes. Quality is good, and has a two way sound channel. So Sarah could call me in the garage and I could answer back. It does confuse the dogs a bit when I talk to them when I'm not in the room, lol.

Camera technology seems to have moved on quite a bit. I remember working with ones with a BNC connector and you needed a video capture card in your PC to record stuff.

The issue with local storage is that savvy thieves will try to locate the box and steal it with whatever else they are after to prevent their identity being found out. This is why cloud storage is preferable but you do need to guard against power outages. You need to protect the cameras, any switches and the router against power outages. This is why it’s sensible to use PoE for the cameras and locate the network equipment in one location with UPS backup. Unless they can knock out the power somewhere further afield and wait a few hours for UPS batteries to die they are going to get their images uploaded somewhere where they cannot get to them.

Good to know that the latest cameras use movement/sound activated recording. As I say, it's gotta be good not having to trawl through all of the eventless footage.

Some idiot mate of our neighbour's teenage son hit and broke my concrete fence post in his car the other day while pulling off their drive. Our neighbour said he tried to deny it at first, saying "where's your evidence?" Cheeky little 5h1t. But he reluctantly admitted it eventually apparently. Wish I'd had CCTV, then there would have been no argument! Gonna get a system set up...
IMG_20191124_143742524.jpg

I had my garages broken into 3 days before Christmas last year. So the following day I spent all day fitting Enfield internal garage door locks which slide a bolt into the frame both top and bottom on both doors.

If the opportunity and knowledge of how to do it I'd also rig up a system to spray any intruder with urine from my wee bottle.

Having cameras is OK but there's no use actually showing any footage to the coppers as they aren't interested and also they always make any excuse not to come around and have a look, all you get is a crime number.

I was once told that if you caught anyone trying to break into your vehicle and should happen to give them a good beating before the cops turned up they would be none the wiser and it would save them some paperwork.

So I reckon a big stick wrapped in razor wire and dipped in dog shit would fit the bill nicely.

Some idiot mate of our neighbour's teenage son hit and broke my concrete fence post in his car the other day while pulling off their drive. Our neighbour said he tried to deny it at first, saying "where's your evidence?" Cheeky little 5h1t. But he reluctantly admitted it eventually apparently. Wish I'd had CCTV, then there would have been no argument! Gonna get a system set up...
View attachment 158614
Crikey, there must have been some damage on their car. Seems to be no honesty with some kids these days. Its going to be a pain to change that post.

Back