Garage Plans

IMG_20191028_144749.jpg

Door going in.

IMG_20191028_142725.jpg

Position for the pit is marked out. Wanting to get in the pit at the far end with the car being fully in the garage and the large roller door closed. All measures out perfect.

That wall to the left isn't staying, that will be knocked down. I will have enough room to walk around the front of the car. I cant really move the pit any further to the right, at present it is central to a car when its over to the right as far as it can go with a 4.8m wide door.

Fair enough. Just remember not to offer a service to your mates Robin Reliant!
LOL, yeah. I'll get some boards made up to cover the pit. Really looking forward to being able to use this. I couldn't really make the garage any bigger without widening the drive way more. So hopefully Ill have enough room. Internal size is 6.2m deep and 7m wide.

IMG_20191028_164902.jpg

You can get a better idea of width with this, that center wall is coming down to be rubble for the floor. All coming together well.

IMG_20191029_071032.jpg

IMG_20191029_163200.jpg

Window frames in.
Old wall turning into rubble ready for the concrete base topping next week.

Dan, the dogs will protect your house but have you thought about some sort of alarm for the garage? A mate of mine has a TV repair business and has his workshop in his detached garage. He bought a nice little alarm system on eBay. It comes with a wireless sounder, door/window switch, PIR, remote key fobs and can even alert you by text or call via mobile, all for about £40. I am thinking of getting one for home to replace my old system.

My personal opinion is that cameras are better. The low life’s do not like having their face recorded as they are generally already known and easy to identify and easier to prosecute.
Personally, We have both cameras and alarm but I think as a visual deterrent to make them seek easier targets cameras work best.
We use Ring cameras with a total of 2 indoors and 5 outdoors. The alerting to a smartphone is really good and images are stored off-site in the cloud.
The ability to turn on lights, sound an alarm and communicate are all useful too. They can work on both WiFi or be hardwired to your internet connection and a battery backup can prevent a simple power outage disabling your security.
Ok, the initial investment wasn’t cheap but we both think well worth it for the piece of mind.

By the time the guys finish in the evening it's too dark for a photo, so done one this morning.
IMG_20191030_081252.jpg

Good idea about security. I was planning on some form of camera system, some of these can send alerts to your phone. Not settled on a plan, but this is an area I do need to look into. Some form or alarm/alert with cameras.

Dave, do they gave the ability to record? If so is it cloud based? I can install ups, as I have a spare ups box. This would only keep the garage alive, would need another to keep the house alive. If it could record local aswell as cloud I could just use ups in the garage.

They do record. We buy cloud services from ring for storage.
Leave the UPS in house and use it to power the switch. Run PoE to the camera in the garage.

True enough, visible cameras may serve as deterrent and it's good to be able to visually monitor the site. And a recording may help to catch someone. But many of the toe rags wear hoodies pulled down to cover their faces anyway. After my Sister was burgled, a police officer advised that a prominently placed alarm box acts as a good deterrent too. And even if they do chance that and get in, he said they dont hang around with something making a racket and flashing a light lol.
You know, something occurred to me the other day while watching one of those TV ads for the remotely monitored door bell cameras. If a toe rag rings the bell and someone starts talking to them through a speaker rather than just opening the door...hasn't the TV ad just advertised the fact that nobody is home?? Lol

That’s what we use both. But doesn’t an unanswered doorbell also advertise your presence? At least by answering you could be in bed, in the bath or garden etc etc

That’s what we use both. But doesn’t an unanswered doorbell also advertise your presence? At least by answering you could be in bed, in the bath or garden etc etc
I like cameras too. If something has happened it's good to be able to look back and see what. I forgot to say, that little alarm system of my mate's allows you to remotely monitor audio at the site. I thought it offered quite a lot with a very simple set-up for £40.

I was as much mocking the marketing technique as possibly viewed buy the toe rag, but conversely, you may not answer the door if you're bed or the bath either lol.

74209723_2420709464651306_5096134208879853568_n.jpg

Not got the land for this, or the funds to buy 18 decent cars. If only we had, this would be nice.

Back