Sarah's 1991 Camaro

Read the link I sent you. Would help you narrow it down.
Havnt got that far yet, but that will be the next thing when I get a chance.

Checked the OBD code. Only getting 12's, left it going for 6 cycles. So that's good in a way.

Fuel Pressure regulator ?
Is that under the intake? I may be able to take the intake off and give it a tap. I could also monitor a fuel injector with an occiliscope.

My money is on a green and corroded connection somewhere. The Firebird had many and Sarah's Camaro has been off the road and sitting in a damp garage for nearly as long lol

My money is on a green and corroded connection somewhere. The Firebird had many and Sarah's Camaro has been off the road and sitting in a damp garage for nearly as long lol

i have to agree what Will on this. was that old garage of yours damp

i have to agree what Will on this. was that old garage of yours damp
Although water wouldn't directly get on the car, it could blow under the door and around the sides. Cardboard boxes disintegrated from the damp. New lifeforms have grown on the steering wheel. It's dry now, but there are rusty parts on the firewall. The floor was welded a while ago and put POR15 treatment on it, so that should still be good, I'll check the whole underbody when I can get it moving.

That link is very useful, The crank sensor info looks good and informative. I'll get my occiliscope out and take a look at the pulses.

I think your looking at a component failure due to the issue occurring immediately after welding and running well before. The storage only occurred after the failure had already occurred. I have a feeling you will find the PCM at fault (did you remove the battery cables before welding?) but hope it’s more easily sourceable and replaceable components.

It has been rujnning after the welding, and battery was taken out. Good thought though.

Checked the 4 earths to the ECU and they look good.

There dosn't appear to be a crank position sensor on this engine. However looking at the pins going to the ECU there is a Distributor reference pulse, so it must use these to get a location of the crank.
Measuring across pins D8 and D9 I get a good waveform while cranking.
1602617238174.png

Fuel pump primes, then when i crank it provides power to the pump still, and then primes again after not starting,
1602617992844.png
so pump feed looking good.

next injectors.

Fuel Injector Control bank 1
1602618394445.png

Other bank
1602618459086.png

So, are the injectors firing then? At what point in the system is that waveform measured?

So, are the injectors firing then? At what point in the system is that waveform measured?
This was measured at the ECU end. The ECU only pulls a ground, it doesn't provide power to the injectors. The injectors have a common live from a fuse. For me to see volts at the ECU it must be passing through the injector coils. so for that, the injectors should be firing. So are they blocked, or the pressure regulator on the rails. I think this is a good place to investigate. I'll need to take apart the manifold to get to the injectors. I could pop one out and give it a quick squirt into a rag.
IMG_20201013_210301.jpg
The point the waveform was taken is points C11 and C12 (just under the two banks of 3 injectors)

Last edited:
IMG_20201013_201842.jpg
Popped in some wire so I could attached probes to monitor. Then looking through the list to check anything of interest.

IMG_20201013_202800.jpgIMG_20201013_202816.jpg

It was a good session of investigation.

Squirted some carb cleaner in the intake, its about the only flammable gas that I have laying about. Then sat in the car, ignition on, you see the security light come on and then go out, this shows the VATS is happy.
Turn the key, the gas ignites. So the spark side of things isn't something to focus on just yet. Next is to find why is there fuel in the fuel rails but not coming out of the injectors. the injectors appear to have good pulses and looks like volts are passing through the coils. So perhaps as Graeme said, the fuel pressure regulator.

Do you have a workshop manual? Is the regulator before the fuel rails or on the return?
Fairly sure I have a Haynes manual covering this engine so I might have to dig it out and see what useful info might help you?

If you say there is pressure on the fuel rail, surely it should still squirt from the injectors if they are being triggered?
I get what you are saying about the ECU firing the injectors by grounding them, but I have a feeling there is 12 volts missing some where which is preventing the injectors from firing.
As has been said, I would agree that the acid test is to pull an injector and look.

Are you able to monitor the voltage at the pink and black injector supply wires during cranking? If there is an HR connection the voltage would drop as the injectors pull current.

Back