Moved the kitchen door.

3 sepperate pictures dans good but not that good with camera lol,, might have photo shopped it out to see if fellow petrolheads would notice

you stopped on road with no hazzards going shame you lol,,,

Its a dual carriage way with a layby, often trucks are parked there over night as its right next to the A3(M) which I was about to get on, and could feel the car pulling to the left quite a bit, so had to pull over to take a look.

More progress on the kitchen. At the beginning of this week we were unsure what to do for a kitchen floor. Its currently a mess, real wood floorboard, with glued on thin MDF type stuff with tiles glues on top of that. We manage to chisel a lot of it up revealing the floorboards. Which I need to take up to route power cables. The floorboards are in pretty good condition. Sanding down and treat it would almost be there, however some are broken or a different colour.

We know we don't want tiles, or laminate or vinyl. Well not the case of not wanting tiles, its just a pain putting something solid on top of something flexible. So the other option is wood flooring, this can be laminate(mdf with a wood grain picture printed on it), can be plywood with a veneer of wood, or true solid wood. The true solid wood will last the longest but costs the most. However I only plan on doing it once, so lets go for something solid.

Found this place online. Galleria Professional Solid European Nature Oak Flooring 20mm X 200mm Rich Light Grey Oile Really liking the colour. They had an online chat which was great. Also you can order 3 free samples from them. So I did.
IMG_20190823_082153.jpg
Got a few colours, I do like the dark, but the cupboards will be dark, this is probably more for an older house. The one at the bottom reminds me of a laminate colour I have seen before. The colour we both like is the middle one. So I think we will be going for that. Just need to measure up next. Well and get the kitchen in first.

I also brought the armored cable, water pipe and network cable conduit to run down the garden. Armored mains cable is 16mm2 and over all diameter around 20mm. Waterpipe is 25mm, and network conduit is 25mm. I could have gotten a 25mm drill bit with a wiggle I may be able to get a 25mm pipe through the wall but with cavity walls it could be tight. So went for a 30mm drill bit.
IMG_20190823_081924.jpg
Look at the size of that thing, cant wait to use it.
I'll space the 3 holes out a bit, so not to loose too much strength in the brick. They will be coming out the house below ground level, and gaps cemented from both sides. I also brought myself a concrete cutter so I can cut a channel in the path outside the back door ready to take the pipes down the garden.

Last edited:
have fun , watch the drill dosn't bite use a pilot masonary drill bit 1st ,when those large drill bits bite snag it has enough force to spin the dril itself so watch your hands wrist, , you could of use a 4"(100mm core cutter) about 25quid to hire plus 50quid deposit they normally charge for amount of wear on carbide/diamond tip,

if you are upgrading your house fuse box make sure you get good well known brand or buy a few spare rcbo/mcbs as alot of makers now are not holding spares after about 5 years so new board required again if anything goes wrong with board, remember also new 18th boards are now fully metal as well, get good sized one for room for all your cables remeber you got some large T7E CABLES AND SWA GOING IN THERE,

Fuse box will probably be upgraded, I'll be getting in an electrician for that and to wire in the kitchen ring mains along with the garage armoured cable. There us some room to fit a bigger box.

IMG_20190825_154637.jpg

Started creating the recess for the plug socket boxes. Circles at the moment, I have a chisel bit to make them squar. Also cut channels for conduit to sink in the wall. Soo much dust. Couldn't see 1ft in front of me at one point.

he was to tight to buy a hoover and attchech it to the wall chaser (no not SWMNBO lol)

I'm thinking if i need to use that things again I'm going to buy a Henry or a James. Even 30 mins later there was still dust exiting the back door into the garden.

wow - looks empty. how ya eating :) :)

Using the other side of the kitchen, cooker is still present, washing machine, tumble dryer and fridge. Although not a lot of room. I'll do a few more dusty jobs then I'll cut up the old work top and pop it on a cupboard we saved. that will give a little more space.

I'll probably order the flooring today, as still on offer. The samples were great. We have chosen the colour. Just need to measure how much is required.

Some progress. Ring mains complete on that side, 2 x 10mm2 cables for the ovens, plastered the chased holes and unevenness.
IMG_20190901_205629.jpg

There were some damages bricks where the heating pipes used to go.
IMG_20190825_111657.jpg

Cemented it
IMG_20190901_202749.jpg

Then plastered
IMG_20190901_204049.jpg
Thr position of the light really makes this worse than it actually is. This will be behind the fridge.

Inbetween working all hours I n eeded to move the door in the kitchen as it can't be there with the new kitchen.
View attachment 95074

So had to removed this door way and bit of wall.
View attachment 95075

Needed to move the the light switch. Going to add a double power socket too for Sarah when she does the vacuuming.

I'll get more photos up. Atleast it gives another post to read.

Looks great, congratulations. I will go through the same thing in my property in Italy soon. Will redo the kitchen area completely, hope it will finish soon but going through this process not the first time in my life it would not be as fast as I want or expect.

Last edited:
Thanks, still a long way to go, but its getting there. Room need to be finished being prepared for the 1st Oct. eek.?

IMG_20191005_223236.jpg

IMG_20191005_203010.jpg

Had to give the ovens a go earlier.
IMG_20191007_140323.jpg

IMG_20191007_142354.jpg

Taste test later.