Migrating to a new VPS server

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
The current server is getting old. Its running CentOS7 and been told its end of life in June. So been looking at migration options.
I now have a Linux VPS server running AlmaLinux set up with 3 CPUs 4GB or RAM and 200GB of space.

Planning on doing the migration over night tonight. e we may have some downtime, should be all running fine by morning.

Good luck, hope it goes well!

Thanks, me too. Moving a customers website also. Doing it overnight incase there is a little down time for emails etc.. less emails over night to loose during downtime.

The migration had a few hurdles, but I think it is there now.
Seems to be running very smooth, but not sure I am writing this message on the old or new server. Soo many pointers say I am on the new but i was expecting more of a fight.

Migration is being a pain. Ws a struggle to get the database across, and once done it dosn't appear to work on the new server.

Reverting back to the old server for now until I can get it to be fixed.

Hopefully people will start seeing the website now as we are back on the old server after reverting the DNS.

The new server has a slightly different database version. Perhaps some tables from the database to run this forum weren't compatible.

New server is getting the same database version loaded right now, then I can recopy the database and verify it works before updating the DNS(pointers that tell your computer where the website is)

Not sure everyone can see the old site yet l.
Out walking the dogs and certain areas still point me to the new duff site. So it's looking like more time is needed for it to resolve to the original sitem

Seems to be working OK here.

yep ok here,

Thanks for the updates Atleast we can use it now. This time I will verify all is good on the new server before the switch over.
I will also recopy all the data too, so any latest posts will go across.

Just running a test here. This should be the new server as I can force my computer to connect to different locations. It seems to be working too well, so not sure this is the new or old server. When I go into the admin panel, the details of the database version and PHP are the new server.

Fingers crossed.

I've received about 17 copies of the same post notification on my e-mail over the last 2 days! All dated 06/04/24 and all timed at 17:06, all ref the server update. Not sure if anyone else has the same.

oh no. I'll look into that. Sorry about that, this shouldn't have happened. We were using the same email server from the 4th April. I wonder if the website had trouble talking to the email server and sent repeats.

We should all be stable from now on.

oh no. I'll look into that. Sorry about that, this shouldn't have happened. We were using the same email server from the 4th April. I wonder if the website had trouble talking to the email server and sent repeats.

We should all be stable from now on.
Received another ten or so since my last post!

Hopefully you don't get any more.
For some reason the forum done something random for no reason at all, saw 55k emails in the out of. I've flushed these out. Also disabled the email server until I find out why it happened.
I really don't understand why things work different to previous. Some code being executed. Hopefully I will iron out all the bugs. I seems I squash one and more multiply.
Having emails going out is probably the worse that can happen. :( spamming people like that.

Hopefully you don't get any more.
For some reason the forum done something random for no reason at all, saw 55k emails in the out of. I've flushed these out. Also disabled the email server until I find out why it happened.
I really don't understand why things work different to previous. Some code being executed. Hopefully I will iron out all the bugs. I seems I squash one and more multiply.
Having emails going out is probably the worse that can happen. :( spamming people like that.
Lost count now, must be at least 50 or more since last post! Also, I'm not receiving notification of your last 2 posts.

I've turned of emails for now. It kept adding to the mail queue, then thinking it hadn't sent and resending the same email around every 7 mins.
I think the old server was getting involved to.
I'm monitoring the email queue to make sure it doesn't open the flood gates to send a ton of emails.
Emails disabled on the server, so no chance of any email going out. Managed to narrow down a lot while being out in the woods. I'll give it a better look on the laptop when I get in to see if it safe to enable the email server again.

Email queue empty now, last couple of thread update emails should have gone out now.
Added a throttle to the email server so it's restricted on how many emails can go out in an hour.

Back