LS1 MSD Coil pack wiring harness.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
I have some nice red MSD coil packs on the Trans-Am. I've had no issues at all even at full revs. However people say they have had issues on just ticking over.
The coil requires more current from the 12V, and certain years the supply voltage is routed slightly different. I guess I have a good year, however I'd still like to 'beef'up the wiring.

Some dude done a youtube video on fitting an MSD wiring harness.

I could buy this harness, but irs not perfect. Look at the relay, notice its not waterproof, and its connections are just regular crimps. Yeah its a quick plug in and connect. With a bit of extra effort and soldering/sleeving I could make a nice job of this. Notice the other kit only has one relay. I'm going to put in a relay for each side, and a seperate fuse for each side too.

1596634227000.png

Waiting for a few other bits to arrive and I'll do a video on updating my wiring harness. coulfd be a good article to put on www.ls-series-engine.info too.

Why? You say you have a good year and don’t experience the issue, so what are you trying to fix?
I can appreciate if you just want to further modify the car but surely there are more important areas?

Preventative work.
If its drawing too much current down a cable, in some years this drops a lot of voltage, luckily I'm not dropping enough voltage to notice it. However its not designed to supply the extra current, could a wire be getting hot? it would be is drawing more surrent it can supply, best not to take sometihng beyond what is is designed to do even if it does appear to work. I want to make the job as good as possible. I pretty much have all the parts. There are many areas to work on yes, but some mean putting more than a little money into it. This is an almost free modification than I can work on my workbench doing some soldering. At the same time I'll wire up the amplifier in the boot as the rear speaker are connected to that.

I’m surprised it’s necessary. You wouldn’t think MSD would supply something that’s potentially a fire risk?

sure those relays not plugged into a waterproof housing? as the wire end looks waterproof from that picture?
agree with the dodgy owner lol shame on this ford owner agreeing with him lol if it not broke dont fix it ,,,,

Seems a nice little mod. Effectively thicker primary supply side wiring has got to mean less volts drop which can't be a bad thing. If you have most of the bits, go for it!

Back